View Poll Results: Were you a dog person before getting a Cavalier King Charles?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

18 72.00%
  • no

7 28.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So after introducing myself....

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default So after introducing myself....

I was really amazed that so many people responded the way they did to my comments in my introduction of myself yesterday.
    Up until about 6 motnhs ago, I was not a dog person. Still in most ways I'm not, but I can tolerate a dog jumping up and looking for some attention now, whereas before I couldn't handle a dog coming close to me.
    Then all of a sudden I met one of the few loves of my life after being forced into a pet store by my daughters, ages 5 and 8. The Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.
    I am still shocked at myself how much I love my little pup (whom didn't come from the pet store, but the pet store was the start of my addicition to this creature). My family is adding another one in about 2 1/2 months.
    So I've decided to post a poll and find out how many other people didn't like dogs before meeting the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. I felt ridiculous that after 34 years of not liking dogs, I could develop such strong feelings towards a dog and her breed, and was shocked how many other people weren't dog people either.
    Kat

Post Thanks / Like

I've let the girls have hamsters, gerbils, cats, fish, etc..

But a dog? No way would there ever be a dog in our house. Until the day I saw my first Cavalier King Charles Spaniel........... Oh. I just can't get over how one breed changed my thoughts.........
    Kat

Post Thanks / Like

I grew up with dogs...a wire-haired terrier and later miniature poodles. My ex didn't like dogs much. He travelled for work and was gone a lot and I had a 1 1/2 hour commute each way to work, so cats made more sense than dogs. Plus he was kind of a "my way or no way" guy. So I think after years of that, I just kind of lost my love for dogs.

After I was on my own again, I, as usual, adopted a couple rescue cats and eventually decided to get a dog. And I'm glad I did!
    ....Sally
    Mom to Pixie - DOB 5/27/04
    And rescue kitties Max and Sophie

Post Thanks / Like

When i was a kid we always had 4 or 5 poms around the house, not to mention birds, fish and small mammals The only animal that i was banned from keeping was a cat so naturally i adopted several of them before i got round to our first Cav.
    Stephen 3 Cavs - Cody, Abigail & Jasmine, Gavin the terrier and the cats - Buffy, Kendra, Thomas, Caleb, Robin & Cadbury, the Geckos - Crane, Poole, Schmidt, Amber, Seven, Eleven, Thirteen, Ivy, Gretchen, Darcy, Ari, Zeva, Claude & Claudine, Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, Dov, Ronia, Netanya

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

o naturally i adopted several of them

I should explain Stephen has a very liberal definition of the word "several"... :

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=854

PS and there are more that didn;t feature in that action shot...
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

I've always been an animal person. Grew up with Newfoundlands. I wasn't allowed a cat due to my allergies, so had my friend surreptitiously "give"' me one for my 16th birthday!

Now I have 3 cats and 2 dogs and would love another - if I only had the room!

Ooh - and i'm in vet school, so I guess I've chosen an appropriate career to feed my addiction.
    Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
    --Roger Caras

Post Thanks / Like

I always had a dog. I can still remember my mum picking me up from nursery school and telling me we had a new pet. I came home to a tiny six month old peke/jack russell cross named Suzy. She needed to find a new home as her owners had a Great Dane living with them as well and they were scared she would get crushed.

Well Suzy lived to the grand aged of 21 so you can imagine all the big changes in my life she was always there. When she died, to say it ripped me apart would be an underestimate. But I had so many happy memories of her, any childhood memories I had she was always apart of it.

But the worst thing was how empty the house was with out a dog there so six months later when we were asked if we would rehome a dog we jumped at the chance. Dizzy came to stay then a couple of years later we were asked to take SiânE.

I always had a love of dogs but now I completely hooked on Cav’s would have another if I could!

You may have got the dog bug late in life but you have given your daughters a great gift.
    Davy, SinE&Ella
    & sometimes Cassie the cocker AKA 'the black shadow''

~Blind Dogs See With Their Hearts♥~
    My cavalier not spoilt...I'm just well trained!

Post Thanks / Like

My family always had Golden Cocker Spaniels (22 years) up until about six months ago when Sally had to be put to sleep and broke my Dad's heart. My husband's family always had Cavaliers and he always used to speak about a ruby called Benji. I love dogs but I'm a bit house proud so I put off getting a dog for a long time. However, we saw a ruby in Blanchardstown last July and I was sold! It was the first time I'd seen a ruby and I thought he was gorgeous. We bought Daisy Boo a few weeks later and Twinkle two weeks ago. Though I have to clean and hoover a bit more frequently I am no longer as obsessive about the house - just about the dogs!
    Joanna

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by karlin
    o naturally i adopted several of them

I should explain Stephen has a very liberal definition of the word "several"... :

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=854

PS and there are more that didn;t feature in that action shot...
    Too funny! Thank you for sharing!
    Kat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Davy
    Well Suzy lived to the grand aged of 21 so you can imagine all the big changes in my life she was always there. When she died, to say it ripped me apart would be an underestimate. But I had so many happy memories of her, any childhood memories I had she was always apart of it.

Don't you wish pets were suppose to outgrow us like our children do?
    Kat