• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

So after introducing myself....

Were you a dog person before getting a Cavalier King Charles?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

jennapea

I was really amazed that so many people responded the way they did to my comments in my introduction of myself yesterday.
Up until about 6 motnhs ago, I was not a dog person. Still in most ways I'm not, but I can tolerate a dog jumping up and looking for some attention now, whereas before I couldn't handle a dog coming close to me.
Then all of a sudden I met one of the few loves of my life after being forced into a pet store by my daughters, ages 5 and 8. The Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.
I am still shocked at myself how much I love my little pup (whom didn't come from the pet store, but the pet store was the start of my addicition to this creature). My family is adding another one in about 2 1/2 months.
So I've decided to post a poll and find out how many other people didn't like dogs before meeting the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. I felt ridiculous that after 34 years of not liking dogs, I could develop such strong feelings towards a dog and her breed, and was shocked how many other people weren't dog people either.

I've let the girls have hamsters, gerbils, cats, fish, etc..

But a dog? No way would there ever be a dog in our house. Until the day I saw my first Cavalier King Charles Spaniel........... Oh. I just can't get over how one breed changed my thoughts.........

I grew up with dogs...a wire-haired terrier and later miniature poodles. My ex didn't like dogs much. He travelled for work and was gone a lot and I had a 1 1/2 hour commute each way to work, so cats made more sense than dogs. Plus he was kind of a "my way or no way" guy. So I think after years of that, I just kind of lost my love for dogs.

After I was on my own again, I, as usual, adopted a couple rescue cats and eventually decided to get a dog. And I'm glad I did!

When i was a kid we always had 4 or 5 poms around the house, not to mention birds, fish and small mammals :D The only animal that i was banned from keeping was a cat so naturally i adopted several of them before i got round to our first Cav.

I've always been an animal person. Grew up with Newfoundlands. I wasn't allowed a cat due to my allergies, so had my friend surreptitiously "give"' me one for my 16th birthday! :oops:

Now I have 3 cats and 2 dogs and would love another - if I only had the room!

Ooh - and i'm in vet school, so I guess I've chosen an appropriate career to feed my addiction. ;)

I always had a dog. I can still remember my mum picking me up from nursery school and telling me we had a new pet. I came home to a tiny six month old peke/jack russell cross named Suzy. She needed to find a new home as her owners had a Great Dane living with them as well and they were scared she would get crushed.

Well Suzy lived to the grand aged of 21 so you can imagine all the big changes in my life she was always there. When she died, to say it ripped me apart would be an underestimate. But I had so many happy memories of her, any childhood memories I had she was always apart of it.

But the worst thing was how empty the house was with out a dog there so six months later when we were asked if we would rehome a dog we jumped at the chance. Dizzy came to stay then a couple of years later we were asked to take SiânE.

I always had a love of dogs but now I completely hooked on Cav’s would have another if I could!

You may have got the dog bug late in life but you have given your daughters a great gift.

My family always had Golden Cocker Spaniels (22 years) up until about six months ago when Sally had to be put to sleep and broke my Dad's heart. My husband's family always had Cavaliers and he always used to speak about a ruby called Benji. I love dogs but I'm a bit house proud so I put off getting a dog for a long time. However, we saw a ruby in Blanchardstown last July and I was sold! It was the first time I'd seen a ruby and I thought he was gorgeous. We bought Daisy Boo a few weeks later and Twinkle two weeks ago. Though I have to clean and hoover a bit more frequently I am no longer as obsessive about the house - just about the dogs!
Joanna

Davy said:
Well Suzy lived to the grand aged of 21 so you can imagine all the big changes in my life she was always there. When she died, to say it ripped me apart would be an underestimate. But I had so many happy memories of her, any childhood memories I had she was always apart of it.

Don't you wish pets were suppose to outgrow us like our children do?

I've always been a pet person too ! Even when I was a young child i used to beg and beg my mom for this pet or that pet ( she's not a pet person) but she always caved :lol: I had dogs,cats,hamsters,birds,ferrets,turtles...i think everything except snakes and spiders Ewwwwww !

When my dh and I got married I had to start begging him ....as he grew up with a housefull of poodles and he didnt really care for them . We started with cats and then came Calli ( who is 11 now ) who was our first dog . The more we loved them the more our fur family grew ! My dh is now a avid kitty and dog lover and spoils the furkids rotten ! We now have 6 cats , 4 dogs and our little baby Cavalier on the way ! Its ALOT of work ( I am a clean freak too ....so I vacumn daily and scoop litter boxes twice a day ) but the joy and unconditional love we get from these furkids makes it ALL worth it !

I mentioned on your Intoductions thread that I was never a dog person until I met our first Cavalier, but I have been around pets all my life. We always had a cat when I was growing up, usually strays we fed and they stuck around. In addition we had 2 squirrels we got as babies (lived to 8 and 10 years old), numerous chipmunks (very easy to tame), a crow with a broken wing, a skunk (descented), a hamster, a rabbit, part ownership with the neighbor in a raccoon, and 2 parakeets.

But never a dog until Penny, our first Cavalier.

No and wanted absolutely nothing to do with dogs!! My friend had a german shepard mix and I was always so disgusted with the dog hair and slobber. Honestly, every gift I got from her had dog hair on it! Gross!! Now, if it doesn't have dog hair on it then it didn't come from my house. I love my guys soooo much nothing bothers me anymore!

My mom always loved collies, and I grew up having collie mixes around. I loved the dogs, but we always seemed to lose them . . . They all seemed to be car chasers. It was heartbreaking. When I got older and moved out of the house, my new husband and I adopted Howard, a lab/beagle mix. He was such a good dog!. We lost him though . . . He was just about a year and a half old, and he ran off on Christmas day. We never saw him again.

By then, my mom had begun raising Shelties, and she gave us one of the pups, but it didn't work out. Pippi was a wild thing, and she was an escape artist. I was afraid of losing her the way I had lost Howard, so I ended up giving her back to my mom.

It's hard for me to believe it, but that was almost 20 years ago. Since then, I've had cats, but when my daughter moved out, she took our last cat with her. I've been dreaming of getting a Cavalier for a couple of years now . . .

I live alone, and I work all day, so I was hesitant about getting a puppy . . . especially one that needs as much attention as a Cavalier.
But finally, I told myself that other people do it! Why not me? And Chester is wonderful. I come home for lunch and take him out . . . then tell him I'll be back. Night time and weekends are party time for us! LOL. I wish I had done it a long time ago. He's brought me so much happiness in the two weeks that I've had him. I don't think I'll ever be without a dog again.

Linda
I am so happy for you, and glad to hear that you are enjoying your new addition. Can you imagine life without a cavalier, absolutely not.
They are precious, devoted everything that you want them to be.
All the ask for in return is love, food and walks.
Oh yeah and a nice bath, nothing compared to what they give to us.
Linda & Dudley

jennapea said:
(whom didn't come from the pet store, but the pet store was the start of my addicition to this creature). My family is adding another one in about 2 1/2 months.
So I've decided to post a poll and find out how many other people didn't like dogs before meeting the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. I felt ridiculous that after 34 years of not liking dogs, I could develop such strong feelings towards a dog and her breed, and was shocked how many other people weren't dog people either.

Ironically, I too had my first encounter with a cavalier --- at a petstore. I went in for guinea pig food and here was this gorgeous boy... I went to the cage and put my hand on the glass,, and he put his paw over my hand., I swear,,, it was the oddest feeling. The kid ran and got him <without my knowledge> and I held him.. It was ..................amazing.. I went home and found out where he likely came from.. I was so sad for him.. I knew he'd eventually find a home. But it couldn't be with me. I'll never forget him.
I did research and found a good breeder. And found the owner of my heart. I've had dogs since I could walk .. I've never felt this way about any other breed. Sandy

No, Linda . . . I can't imagine life wihout a Cavalier. I hope never again to be without one. I love this puppy, and I love the breed. I tell everyone who's interested that I've found the perfect dog.

If not for the potential health problems, he truly would be perfect.

LindaK said:
No, Linda . . . I can't imagine life wihout a Cavalier. I hope never again to be without one. I love this puppy, and I love the breed. I tell everyone who's interested that I've found the perfect dog.

If not for the potential health problems, he truly would be perfect.

It's so darn true. I told my husband that although I didn't give birth to Isabelle, my heart aches with so much love for her like I feel when I look at my kids. It's amazing a Cavalier is just so into you and pleasing you. Geez, I could go on, and on, and on..........
I love having found a place that people share the same feelings!!!

When I was growing up we always had a dog and a cat. We had a fox terrier who used to attach itself to my sister's plaits. We had a couple of German Shepherds and then a beagle. When I got married (actually it was our mutual love of dogs that got us together. I used to go to dog shows and bring the photos to work. My now husband used to take an interest in them and then in me!!!) we didn't have any pets until our eldest was about 8 and then we got a lovely tortoiseshell cat. A couple of years later we got a beautiful tri col. cav- a breed I had been interested in for years and of course now I am hooked after he died at 13 it only took us a short time till we had to have another one and then another!
Julie and the girls

Sally said:
I grew up with dogs...a wire-haired terrier and later miniature poodles. My ex didn't like dogs much. He travelled for work and was gone a lot and I had a 1 1/2 hour commute each way to work, so cats made more sense than dogs. Plus he was kind of a "my way or no way" guy. So I think after years of that, I just kind of lost my love for dogs.

After I was on my own again, I, as usual, adopted a couple rescue cats and eventually decided to get a dog. And I'm glad I did!
Like you I traded in a grumpy man for the most adorable dog in the world and I am the happiest woman alive because of it.

YEAH FOR FURBABIES! They love you unconditionally and don't tell you what to do!

Back