• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

is my puppy ok?????

yvonne

Hi All. I brought our new tri colour Holly home 10 days ago.old. We're loving her. She's absolutly adorable. Slightly hyper, but fabulous. (Pics to follow in a day or two)
Looking for some advice. After Holly goes to the toilet she seems to sit on her bum and walk forward with her bum following her on the ground. Is this normal?????
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks - Yvonne

Generally, butt scooting is associated with the anal glands. She could be trying to express them. How old is she? Are her stools solid or runny?

If she's scooting only after she poops, it could be that there is fecal matter sticking to her and she's trying to get it off. This could be helped by trimming her fur around her anus.

It has also been commented on here at the board that cavaliers often just like to scoot because of how it feels to them.

Others--with more experience!--might have more to add on the subject.

Hi Yvonne,
We've had this as well with Twinkle. It's only in the last couple of days (after transferring her to adult food) that her stools have firmed up. I used good old fashioned baby wipes and she seemed really appreciative!
Joanna

I agree with everyone else's comments also.
Scooting is a known trait of cavaliers, I remember when Dudley was
a puppy he did this all the time now as an adult it is very rare.
I used to worry, when I contacted my breeder about it, her advice was
not to express the anal glands too much as then they become dependent on you doing it for them (Sorry the Vet not me) :shock: :shock:

Great question! My Isabelle is 7 months old and does the same thing. Almost always when she's come back in after going poo. Once again, I have absolutely NO experience with dogs, but my husband says this is normal. If it isn't, I'd definately like to know as I was concerned myself until my husband re-assured me.

Cavaliers seem to be a scooting breed... :roll:

Sometimes it is anal glands, sometimes they just seem to do it. Puppies often do it more than adults. Jaspar scooted a lot as a pup -- sometimes it was an indication that he needed to go out!

Thank you all for your quick replies.
That's really re assured me that there's nothing wrong with her.
Someone mentioned worms to me!!!!!!!!!! and i got a bit scared.
She's only 9 weeks old and not due to go to the vet or go outside for another 3 weeks.
Yvonne

My Sasha scoots all the time, and she's had her anal glands removed! I think they probably are a scooty breed, but have your vet check her on her next visit.

Sheri Ramirez
Nebraska

Hi Yvonne,
I had put off going to the vet with Twinkle until her vaccinations also. However, we did end up going to the emergency clinic last Sunday because of an ear infection. We brought Daisy Boo immediately for a check up when we got her and did not have any problems. I regret now not bringing Twinkle immediately too. If I were you I would make an appointment to have her checked out by the vet just to discount any problems that could be there.
Joanna

my two at 7 and 6 months scoot alot too when they have relieved themselves i was gonna mention to my vet at next visit....but with both my two doing i did presume it must be a cavalier thing...hopefully it will stop soon as its not nice on my cream carpet lol :roll: xx

joanna said:
Hi Yvonne,
I had put off going to the vet with Twinkle until her vaccinations also. However, we did end up going to the emergency clinic last Sunday because of an ear infection. We brought Daisy Boo immediately for a check up when we got her and did not have any problems. I regret now not bringing Twinkle immediately too. If I were you I would make an appointment to have her checked out by the vet just to discount any problems that could be there.
Joanna

Hi Joanna
I remember when I got Dudley almost 2 years ago this March, one
of the requirements from the breeder was that he was to be seen
by my Vet within 1 week maximum. Have you taken him to your
vet at all yet ?????
Maybe some breeders have different requirements.

mmmmmmmmmm joanna..... food for thought.
I may bring her to the vet during the weekend just to put me at ease??
There are two vets in Celbridge, so i'd like to check them out first.
thanks for your comments.
Y

I had to have my puppy into the vet within 72 hours to check or there would be no refund if something was wrong!

Back