• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

another question. Hope I don't get annoying!

jennapea

So glad I found this board. Now I don't have to bug my breeder so much.
My breeder says wetness or gooiness around the eyes is normal. I even had my vet check and he said there was no problem. However she is now 7 months old and I feel like I'm always cleaning not just around her eyes, but in between them. Her black/tan fur just always has that appearance of wetness at the top of the bridge of her nose.
I guess I should just trust my vet, but I thought she'd outgrow it by now. Do this go on through their whole lives?

All dogs will have more tearing during the teething period. Cavaliers have slightly protruding eyes so they will tear a bit more than other dogs who don't have the big eyes. My Chester is 1.5 years old and wiping his eyes with a warm, damp cotton ball or washcloth in the morning and evening is part of our daily routine and is perfectly normal. There's no need to worry unless the tears become really excessive or smelly...which would indicate some sort of problem.

Don't worry so much...once he gets all his adult teeth the tearing will slow way down.

Best of luck to you both!

Daisy Boo has had tears since we got her too and every day I clean her eyes with cotton wool soaked in warm water and them use dry cotton woll after. It's important to keep the area clean and do it every day becaseu bacteria just loves those wet spots.

Thank you all! I feel MUCH better about it! I haven't been as diligent to clean them like I should. And there is NO smell, so I'll try to strat doing it in the morning and afternoon!

Tearing can be caused from teething ,allergies and from little hairs that may stick close to the eye . I know a maltese and yorkie owner that has no staining on her perfectly white maltese ...she uses a human eye wash by bauch and lombe 2-3 times a day to clear any debris that gets into the eyes ....a bit much , but hey her maltese looks great ! It is supposed to cut down on the amount of tearing .

I clean Abbey's eyes with a cotton ball and saline solution, it seems to keep the area pretty clean. I do notice that she'll go in streaks of no tears to heavy tearing, it's probably an allergy thing.

You can use the all in one contact lens solution (the stuff that CAN be put in the eye -- just put a bit on cotton pad to dampen and carefully wipe in an away direction from the eye, being careful never to touch the eye itself) or any of the commercial eyestain cleaners at pet shops. Likewise these are for wiping the fur around the eye, never to go into the eye. They (like the lens solution) have a protein eater that will help keep the bacteria from growing -- this causes red staining. It isn;t a problem but can be unsightly and has a slight yeasty odor.

Younger dogs seem to tear more than older dogs in many cases; Laura Lang (breeder and board member here!) believes this is because their skulls are still growing and don;t quite yet 'fit' the eyeball. This has been my experience; both boys teared a lot more when they were under 1. This kind of staining is more noticeable on blenheims because it stands out more on their coat.

In addition to the watery eyes, they do get gummy stuff in their eyes expecially in the morning. Jaspar tends to have bits of goo that I wipe from the corner of his eyes before his morning walk and Leo seems to get a lot of filmy deposits. The film can almost be like a loose contact lens at times -- and recently I took him to the vet thinking he had cut his eyeball after a minor scrap with Jaspar!! The vet thought so too -- only after he used drops that should have highlighted the supposed loose flap did we discover it must have been some of the filmy deposit as it was gone. I was relieved even if I did pay for an emergency run to the vet...

:p

Eye goobers! Pixie gets a lot of those too. The vet suggested a slightly damp square of cotton gauze to remove them, never touching the eye itself. He said as long as they're not stinky or greenish, it pretty normal for the breed.

We also wipe the tears a couple times a day...and I try to remember before we take pictures. :)

Back