• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Question about adult potty training???

jeni

I have a topic that I would like some feed back on. My adult cavalier, after having her 1st litter of puppies, (not sure if this relates to it), she has completely forgot that she ONCE was fully potty trained. She potties in the house all the time now. In EVERY room of the house... I don't know what is going on because I am doing nothing different with her while I am at work than I did pre-pregnancy. I am at a loss icon_yikes I don't know if I should start the potty training process all over??? I can't catch her in the act as she does it when no one is looking, (while we are at work or at night). So punishment does no good if they are not "caught in the act"
Has anyone had this happen or can anyone offer suggestions?
Thank you-

Have you taken her to the vet to make sure there isnt a physiological reason? Perhaps she is no longer capable of holding her water due to something related to her pregnancy or giving birth.

Well, she isn't peeing in the house. It's #2. At first when she was doing it, I thought I might be over feeding her due to the fact that I have to feed her more because she is nursing. I thought that maybe she just couldn't hold it cause she ate way too much. I decreased her food and it is still happening. She is on her pre-pregnancy diet as she is very close to weaning the pups. She nurses them only once a day now. Pup's are 7 weeks old. So I don't think that is the problem.
The only thing I can think of doing is really scrubbing the carpet and putting some sort of spray or something that will keep her away from them particular areas in the house. She actually only goes in one particular spot in each room. She might smell that she has gone there before and thinks that it is alright to continue going there.
She has been to the vet, he said all is okay. No bladder infection or anything else that he knows of. So I just don't know????

You need to make that spot unavailable to her. First off, get an enzyme cleaner like Nature's Miracle from a pet shop as just scrubbing the carpet with regular cleaners will not break down the scent for a dog (or cat). Then I would place something so she cannot access this spot -- a piece of furniture, any large object that will cover the area once you have cleaned it and allowed to dry etc as per instructions on the enzyme cleaner.

I'd then take the easiest and most direct approach to trying to solve this. I would start to take her out regularly again to do her number 2s, as this is the problem. Most dogs only need to do this 2-3 times daily. So take her out on a lead 2-4 times and make sure she relieves herself completely, just as when you first housetrained her. Dogs thrive on routine and once you break her existing routine of accessing the spot she has marked it should break the habit (and yes once they go somewhere they will keep returning to that spot because of the scent, this is what helps when you are trying to housetrain a pup! :) -- But is a problem if they find an inapprppriate spot and keep going there).

Maybe someone else has an idea why she is now going indoors -- it may be that it was easier than going outside when she was under the burden of the pregnancy as a pregnancy is exhausting for a dog and this was an easier option.

Wow, I never had that happen before! That is very strange that she would start that. Can't suggest anything more than Karlin has.

Have you thought of putting her in a crate or another restricted area until she gets back on track ? Sometimes you need to revert back and then they remember ...oh yeah , this is what I am supposed to do !

I have reverted back to crate training and I keep a gate up so that she can't get to the upstairs (carpeted areas) where she was going potty. Everything is going much better. I am still trying to find something to use to clean up or what ever it is that you can clean up with that gets rid of the odors completely. I live in a small town in Oklahoma and don't have many resources here as far as pet supplies. Well for dogs anyway. Is there a website that sells it, and what is it called?

I just wanted everyone to know, especially Karlin... that I found that Natures Miracle at a local groom shop here in town and tried it out on my mother in laws carpet. She has off white carpet and has been letting her dog potty on it for a while. And neglected to clean it in a timely matter... I have tried EVERYTHING! icon_yikes I sprayed that Natures Miracle on the pee pee spots and they disapeared! No scrubbing!!! That stuff is so awesome! I am very glad that you have recomended it to me.
Thanks!!!

Back