• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Homeopathic vet

edel

I went to see the homeopathic vet, Tom Farrington on Saturday. He examined Lady and came to the conclusion that the left back leg was ok, it was the right one that was the worst. He said if she is not in pain at the moment we should hold off operating. He said if i detect any pain we can do it then. For the time being he gave me remedies to help her and pain killers just in case.

She seems fine now and is managing very well. Its amazing how they adapt. I was very happy with Tom as he seemed to have a genuine interest in her and told me not to hesitate to ring him with any questions. He also wants me to start her on a raw diet and he gave me leaflets on this which I intend to start from tomorrow onwards.

I was very happy with the outcome. :)

That's great news Edel - glad it went so well and you were happy with Tom - that's so important.

If you have time, I'm sure we would be very interested to hear more about the recommended raw diet.

Hey that is great news! Tom is a very popular vet with many experienced dog people -- I know people who will drive a long way to see him.

I've got lots of links on feeding raw in the Library section. I feed a mix of a raw and standard diet -- the non-raw part is mostly homecooked.

For the last 3 days i have given Lady one chicken thigh per day (is this too little or too much??). She absolutely loves it. However Im not sure where I can buy the supplements to give her with the raw. I have also been giving her carrots and parsnips in the form of treats so she thinks they are great (if i gave them to her in her bowl is would turn her nose up at them :roll: ).

So can anyone tell me where I can buy these supplements and also at the weekend i am planning on giving her raw mince. I was thinking one heaped handful (too much or too little??).

I was very nervous the first time I gave her the raw chicken, I was just thinking my dog is going to get very sick and its all my fault for giving it to her. But she has not showed any adverse symptoms yets so i am assuming that shes fine.

Just make sure she chews down the bones and doesn't gulp. I'd follow whatever amount Tom suggests. The thing about raw is that you do need to do a lot of work -- as the meat alone is not nutritionally satisfactory for a dog. She should likely be getting some veg and Tom can tell you sources for the supplements. If you find an all raw diet difficult just talk to him about it. I've posted lots of cooked recipes in the Caring for your Cavalier section. I do give a mix of things to my two and they do very well on that.

Back