Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bruce ...size question !

Post Thanks / Like

Rory was huge when I got him at 11 weeks. 7lbs. He is now fully mature at 2 years and about 17.5lbs. I was sure he would be gigantic! but he is perfect.

Also - interesting thing I learned in reproduction class today. The size of the fetus is limited by the mother's ability to provide nutrients via blood flow, etc, which is in turn limited by the number of puppies. More puppies - less nutrients per pup. So larger litters could have smaller pups at birth. Also - if a great dane male impregnates a chihuahua, the fetus will be limited in its in utero growth by the chihuahua's ability to provide nutrients - so even though the genes will provide for a bigger dog, it will be born chihuahua puppy size and then do all its great dane size growing after birth.

Interesting stuff!
    Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
    --Roger Caras

Post Thanks / Like

My 10 year old male almost always squats in the backyard, but lifts his leg on just about every vertical thing he can find on our walks. Never had a problem with him peeing on his fur, a little trimming on the "target" fur will take care of that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Also - if a great dane male impregnates a chihuahua, the fetus will be limited in its in utero growth by the chihuahua's ability to provide nutrients - so even though the genes will provide for a bigger dog, it will be born chihuahua puppy size and then do all its great dane size growing after birth.
    I've read this, and been told this by dog rescue people too -- though the puppies can of course really grow then" However would start so small that would be unlikely to end up a large size or even a big medium size -- but probably a lot larger than a chihuahua!! It's interesting stuff though, isn't it? Mother Nature is extremely accommodating.

VBTW that old 'large paw' thing in piuppies doesn't necessarily mean a big adult either. Friends with a pup that had huge paws and that the vet was sure would be a large dog is actually a quite small-medium dog now.

a little trimming on the "target" fur will take care of that
    With some dogs, yes, but not all. Jaspar is an extremely tidy dog and always has been, almost never gets any bit of himself, and very careful not to step on poops. Leo will walk on his poops if I don;t watch him, tends to wee on his belly fur and often also gets his front leg feathjering. I can trim back his belly but this often just gives him a straight shot at his legs.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Both of my boys squat to wee. I wash their tummy fur at least once a week and also keep it trimmed back too . I have never seen Charlie lift his leg but Maxx lifts his when we are out walkies - he obviously wants all the others neighbourhood doggies to think he's a real macho man

Post Thanks / Like

Just finished weighing the puppies today, here are the puppy number, birth weights first, then today's weight.

#1: 8.1oz birth; 5#11 oz now
    #2: 6.5 oz birth; 4# 6 oz now
    #3: 7.1 oz birth; 4# 15 oz now
    #4: 7.9 oz birth; 5# 2 oz now
    #5: 7.0 oz birth; 5# 9 oz now

Interesting that the smallest birth weight is still the smallest now and the biggest birth weight is the biggest now, but the in between ones have moved around a bit.

As far as estimating weight, it may work later as others have suggested, but we have had only so-so luck. When we breed, we tend to look more at the dam and sire and their parents as an idea of how big puppies will be as an adult. When we breed Anna, we look for a smaller sire because Anna's father is a big boy (19 to 20 pounds).

I do think I would look at the dam and sire and grandparents as a guide to how big your puppy MAY be.
    Bruce
    MysticKnight Cavaliers