Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: spraying/males dogs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by csprice
    They seem to only mark the bed, or have pee'd on the wee mats when we have bought the new ones home, I think it is the smell on the coat for the first few weeks and also to make sure the pecking order....... when we go for walks Busta and Woodys wee over each others wee a few times (and sometimes Woody gets wee'd on when he sticks his head under Bustas leg).
    Hahaha. I'm always having to wash Charlie where he's put his head or his leg right where Maxx is marking They are such intelligent dogs but don't they do some daft things ?

Post Thanks / Like

We call him pee head, which applies twice, pee on head or size of pea to his body.

Post Thanks / Like

Sam used to mark everwhere, and the smell from it was awful. He never used to mark in the house until we took in an intact male foster who lifted his leg on the side of the sofa.

Since he's been neutered, he's great and doesn't have to stop at every tree and lamp post anymore. He hasn't done it in the house at all since and only marks his own little spot in the back yard.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Worth adding I think that though I've noted all male rescues in my memory have tried marking in the house at least once, that these are obviously dogs coming from anxety-producing situations. Either from the pound, or after a long transport with someone they don't know, or have been found roaming. So they'd all come with a certain degree of uncertainty into a new house, which probably encourages them to mark.

I've taken Leo and Jaspar loads of places as well where they don't ever mark inside, including with other neutered or unneutered dogs.

But to go back to the beginning, I'd strongly disagree that marking is something only males do in the presence of a bitch in heat, with other dogs around. That's just one of many types of circumstance that might encourage some males to mark. I've never had a bitch in heat anywhere near my house but it has nonetheless been annointed quite a few times.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

How old will your new boy be when he comes? A pup or an adult?

Michelle
    He will be 8 - 10 weeks old.
    Kat

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The you have no worries. Males don't mark til they begin to hit sexual development at 6-8 months.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by karlin
    The you have no worries. Males don't mark til they begin to hit sexual development at 6-8 months.
    Oh wow! Didn't know that! Well he will be neutered at 6 months, so no worries. Thank you!!!!
    Kat