Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My parents and their new cavalier...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default My parents and their new cavalier...

My parents are adopting a retired breeding girl who should arrive to them this week or next!! icon_banana icon_banana It will be their first cavalier and their first dog since the mid 80s (and that was a Great Pyrenees so this is seriously downsizing for them, canine-wise).

I'm so excited for them -- I talked to dad this evening to make sure he was adequately briefed and his lap properly prepared... They've been thinking about another dog for so long and a retired girl is just perfect for them -- they wouldn't really be up to a puppy without me there to help, I think.

I am heading out to California at the end of the month so I will promise some pictures of her. It will be so much fun to get to have a cavalier around even when I am far away from Jaspar and Leo. I only wish they could all meet!

The funny thing is, it was mom who first told me about cavaliers -- I'd never heard of them. She'd met someone on a train journey who had pics of her cavaliers in her pocketbook instead of her children. Of course I only have images of my dogs in my phone...
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

That is wonderful !!

They will have so much love in their life with a cavalier... Can't wait to see some pics !!
    www.pet-bliss.com for pet products
    www.poshpaws.ie Designer Pet Products
    www.gift-ireland.com voluntary group raising money for rescues

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh I'm so thrilled for them Karlin, I know you have all been planning and looking for quite some time

It's wonderful that you are going to get to meet the new baby so soon too...don't forget that you've promised us photos

What colour is she and what is her name??

Somewhat smaller than a GP, but the personality is just as big

Really wish them all well, and I'm sure this lucky girlie is going to have a wonderful time.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so glad your parents are adopting an older girl who is retired from breeding - that is what my Sophie is and she's such a luv! Once she discovered my bed with the little set of stairs next to it, there's no talking her out of her new retirement!!

Sheri Ramirez

Post Thanks / Like

icon_banana icon_banana

I'm glad that everything worked out. How fun for them!
    Jen, Abbey (Tri Cavalier) & Gus (White Min. Schnauzer)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Her name is Blu and she's a little blenheim. I called Dad to see if he's heard any more news. The weather has to be just right as they won't put dogs in the hold unless the outside air is a certain temp. While the plane warms once airborne, the dogs can spend a long time waiting in the hold beforehand as they are loaded early. Hence it needs to be a comfortable temp.

So as soon as the weather is just right, she's fly off to retirement in California.
    Karlin

Post Thanks / Like

Hooray!!! Wonderful news!
    Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
    --Roger Caras

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: My parents and their new cavalier...

Quote Originally Posted by karlin

The funny thing is, it was mom who first told me about cavaliers -- I'd never heard of them. She'd met someone on a train journey who had pics of her cavaliers in her pocketbook instead of her children. Of course I only have images of my dogs in my phone...
    Hey, great news for your parents and you. I think that's wonderful that they are adopting a retired girl. Bet you can hardly wait to see their new addition. How did they find the dog and breeder?

Had to laugh about the woman with dog pictures in her pocketbook; Kris and I have been criticized more than once by our daughter because we have more pictures of dogs in our house than her or our grandchildren!
    Bruce
    MysticKnight Cavaliers

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Blu is from Laura Lang -- I'd been in touch with her before and one of her posts elsewhere about retired dogs had me thinking about a retired dog for my parents. Turns out they were really a lot happier with the idea of an older dog themselves, and turned out Laura had two girls going into retirement, so the timing was perfect.

Here she is:

http://roycroftcavaliers.com/blupg.htm

I'd talked about quite a few alternatives. At first I was going to get a puppy here and at about age one would transfer her to my folks. Then we also considered a rescue (and ironically they got a call on a rescue just last week but were able to let that dog go to the next person on the very long waiting list!). Plus I would keep an eye out for potential rescues here that I could bring over. But a retired breeding girl was a perfect fit all around.
    Karlin

Post Thanks / Like

Hooray!!! She is just adorable.

Yep, got a wallet full of puppy pictures in my purse. I have to laugh when someone starts talking to me about my dogs. "Oh, I've never heard of that breed", "Here...I happen to have 10 pictures of them in my wallet!!"
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah