• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Editable chew toys for Cavaliers

Dana

What type of editable chew toys are appropriate to give a puppy cavalier? My puppy is 7 months old and loves rawhide and granulated bones as well as greenies. Is this ok for him? Are their any other type of chew toys that are approved?

Karlin, wasn't there a report that greenies were bad as they got stuck, also do not feed those edible bones that are chicken flavour, they do not break off in small pieces and Busta and Woody were sick yesterday as they had shared one, my guys have dentasticks or the cowhide stick chews as well as gravy bones.

I read those articles, but feed Greenies all the time and have had no problems. I don't think they are any more problematical than any chew -- you need to be sure you are feeding the right size for the breed and also supervise. Many people feel rawhides are dangerous as some dogs chew off chunks which can cause an impaction -- so I just take them away when they get down to a small size or look like they are coming apart. But I know many vets have simply never seen many problems with rawhides, but a LOT of problems with dogs that chew socks, stones and other everyday items. Also dogs have been known to choke to death on a piece of kibble!

Nylabones are great as they are quite hard -- however my guys are not really interested in them but some cavaliers love them. I like the rope chews that are supposed to 'floss' and they are a favourite toy here. Another suggestion is bully saticks (also called pizzle sticks) which are, yes, cattle penises dried and rolled. These are supposed to be far more digestible than rawhides but last a long long time (ba-boom -- joke of your choice here!). They are widely available in the US, less so here in Ireland and UK, but Lidl sells them 3 for about 3 euro and they are perfect cavalier sized ones!! Also not smelly -- some people say they can be smelly, some of the brands.

I like dried tripe too as a chew -- but it is smelly and doesn;t last long. Very nutritious and dogs love it (I guess partly for the stinkiness! :lol: ).

Try www.sitstay.com -- has loads of interesting toys and chews.

One of the best chews IMHO is a good marrowbone. Raw of course. But many people feel dogs shouldn't be given raw bones. It's a minefield of opinions out there!

We give Zola cooked pork ribs.
I just roast them in the oven and then freeze them and she gets one or two a day.
I may have known to steal one or two for myself when they come out and are nice and hot and spitting icon_whistling

You should never feed cooked bones of any kind. They splinter and crack and can seriously injure a dog. Cooking a bone changes the chemical composition of bones.

Raw, beef rib bones, veal rib bones, beef/lamb vertebrae are all good bone choices.

I've been buying the edible Nylabones for Chester. He loves them! I take them away when they get too small.

The longevity of the Nylabone seems to decrease every time I buy them though. :?

Only one of mine is a chewer. She will chew on most things and loves her nylabones. I have found though that dried pigs' ears are really good. Even Lottie the non chewer (which affects her teeth) will have a go at a pig's ear. They both chew handkerchiefs!!!
Julie and the girls

My Chester loves raw beef bones! LindaK, you have excellent taste in doggy names! I get the butcher to cut them to whatever size I want and they last a looooong time. The first time I give him a fresh one he'll spend a long time getting all the marrow out of the middle of the round ones and once that's gone he'll gnaw on it for a good hour or so every evening while we're watching TV. The raw bones have the perfect texture for cleaning doggy teeth and if you get them cut small enough your dog will gnaw on them with their back teeth, which are the hardest to keep clean. Chester is 1.5 years old and his teeth are still sparkling white and beautiful! He also like Greenies and various other rawhides and bully sticks, but if given the choice he'll go for the beef bone.

I hear what you're saying about the Nylabones...they get smaller rather quick these days. Silly dog.

Woody has been having them since four months old, I went on all the other recommendations to the puppy treats, such as turbos, markies, etc.

GudrunTheRed said:
My Chester loves raw beef bones! LindaK, you have excellent taste in doggy names! I get the butcher to cut them to whatever size I want and they last a looooong time. .

Hey, Gudrun . . . I like your choice in doggy names too!

I tried many different names at first. We tried this one and that one . . . He was Dylan for two days, but neither of us were that happy with it. Finally, I said, "Chester," and both of us knew. :)

Raw beef bones . . . Do you ask for particular kinds of bones? Or just any raw beef bones?

Back