• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Puppy sneezing?

Ok, so what constitutes "happy to see you" sneezing" versus sick sneezing? Buddy has had a bit of a random sneeze since I got him but I think it's getting more frequent (esp. when he wakes up). There is some clear nasal discharge. The vet told me to bring him back if I heard and congestion but I am not sure what that exactly constitutes (he is not coughing). Anyone else have this problem? Suggestions?

Jackie and Buddy

My billy sneezes quite often, And has a bit of nasal discharge. Apparently according to my vet it's quite normal. he especially sneezes if I use hairspray or some other aerosole. Do you guys use areosoles in the house as this can make them sneeze a fair bit. cavtiny cavtiny

Cavaliers also do a 'reverse sneeze' which can sound as if they are gasping -- this is due to their short palate and the way to stop it is to cover the nostrils and gently tip the head forward. It usually stops right away. I have one dog who does this and one who doesn't.

Yours sounds like a straighforward sneeze though. Basically you want to watch for whether the sneeze continues (which might indicate allergies or something up in the nasal passages) and/or if the discharge is coloured (which indicates a more serious infection -- in a puppy you want to act quickly to any signs like this). Most likely this will just go away of its own accord.

There's some more info here:

http://www.healthypet.com/faq_view.aspx?ID=134&sid=1
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/sneezing-and-nasal-discharge-in-dogs/page1.aspx

My little cavalier sneezed a bit when we first got her, and now she sneezes on purpose to get attention. It's pretty dramatic. It's a personification of "snooty". :roll:

:lol: She probably realised you all paid attention to her when she sneezed and now has you well trained.

Ozzy has been on anti-biotics as he has had a cough/cold - so he is sneezing with a discharge when he wakes up. He is having 2.5ml of a children's cough medicine, which is a decongestant.... the vet said it should clear up on its own. Busta and Woody both sneeze, either if something is sprayed or if they are wrestle and then knock it.

karlin said:
:lol: She probably realised you all paid attention to her when she sneezed and now has you well trained.

That's exactly what happened Karlin. You'd think that since we caught on to her fake sneezes quite a while ago that she'd stop, but I think we still give her too much attention, negative attention, but attention none-the-less.

Last week at obedience class, she was sitting and watching me, very dutifully I might add, and I guess she decided it was time for a treat. She gave me a snooty sneeze, head shaking, and the folks around us laughed. It's unmistakely fake, and it comes across to people as a very snotty, spoiled, I -want-what-I-want attitude! Most embarrassing. :oops:

Back