• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Question about heat

joanna

Hi all,
I was off work for a week and not online so I'm busy trying to catch up with all the posts. Daisy Boo came into heat last Wednesday :cry: We were expecting it to happen at some point but we were surprised as she is only 7 months old. My Dad told me this morning that she should only bleed the first week because I've noticed it seems to have stopped. Can anybody tell me if this is correct because I would like to stop using the pants. Other than that it's been fine - we haven't brought her out which was hard for the first couple of days.
Thanks,
Joanna

I'm no expert, but Sadie bled for two weeks. She was 10 months old when she first went into heat. I dont know if thats normal or not.

Also be extremely cautious with her and keep her in over the next few weeks as well (sounds like you know all this) -- and only under careful supervision in the garden, as males can literally scale 6 foot walls. There's a discussion amongst breeders on this issue right now on another list and they warn they know of dogs getting pregnant as early as the third day and as late as the 20th of a cycle. They also note that it can take just two seconds for a male and female to be tied and then you will not be able to separate them as they are physically locked together. Don't know about the bleeding! Good luck!

Hi ,

Can you please tell me how soon we can neuter a female dog?

We are getting our new one (who's only 2 weeks old) when she's about 10 weeks and Gizmo isn't neutered and we don't want any accidents !!

Also - is it only during a female's first heat that she can become pregnant?
If that's the case when normally does this happen (I can see that there's a big difference already with what's been mentioned on these posts already)

Thanks

petitchien said:
Hi ,

Can you please tell me how soon we can neuter a female dog?
4-6 months is what my vet prefers to spay a female.

We are getting our new one (who's only 2 weeks old) when she's about 10 weeks and Gizmo isn't neutered and we don't want any accidents !!
Females usually have their first seasons <healthy girls> between 6 and 18 months.

If that's the case when normally does this happen (I can see that there's a big difference already with what's been mentioned on these posts already)
When you first spot the blood is the tell tale sign that her body is readying itself for breeding. For a novice -- I would keep her away from ANY unneutered male from the first blood to at least 23 days later. This means she shouldn't go ANYWHERE a male can get to her alone. Don't just rely on bitches britches-- don't rely on fences, gates or even metal crates. Don't let husbands or children be responsible unless they are fully trained and able to do as good a job as you would. JMHO- Sandy

Thanks

petitchien said:
Hi ,

C

Thanks

Oh, and I didn't understand the "only during a females first heat that she can become pregnant" Sandy

Thanks all for the advice. We have been very lucky because there are no strays around us and because we kept her in so early we haven't attracted any unwanted attention. It's hard not being able to walk her though. I've read here that some people have spayed their dogs at 6 months but Bruce advises not to do it until twelve as growth plates will have closed by then.

joanna said:
Hi all,
I was off work for a week and not online so I'm busy trying to catch up with all the posts. Daisy Boo came into heat last Wednesday :cry: We were expecting it to happen at some point but we were surprised as she is only 7 months old. My Dad told me this morning that she should only bleed the first week because I've noticed it seems to have stopped. Can anybody tell me if this is correct because I would like to stop using the pants. Other than that it's been fine - we haven't brought her out which was hard for the first couple of days.
Thanks,
Joanna

Usually ours have a discharge for at least 2-1/2 weeks, although it may get lighter (less discharge) later in the cycle. 7 months old is not at all too early for her first heat.

Like others have said: be careful, be careful, be careful. And then be careful! Those boys can be VERY resourceful when they smell a girl in heat. And, to make matters worse, those girls REALLY want the boy. The sweetest, cutest, most innocent little girl will turn into a shameless hussy when they're in season and around a boy!! We have a 8 month old in season right now that is flagging our cat; Buck is not impressed :lol:

The sweetest, cutest, most innocent little girl will turn into a shameless hussy when they're in season and around a boy!!

Oh we women are all like that too, Bruce... icon_devil

HI all,
Again thanks for all the advice. Daisy Boo is very depressed, it being Valentine's Day and all and she is clearly dying for something but she doesn't know what! :roll: I went to put the bin out last night and all I saw was her head popping up out of the bed - Escape Route!!! No chance of her getting past me though - I was once her age :D
Anyway, another quick question. She seems very tender - I presume this is because of the swelling in her private parts. If she moves suddenly to run after Twinkle she quite often stops suddenly to check herself. Is this normal or should I consult the vet? She looks fine to me.
Thanks,
Joanna

Yes, we have seen that in our girls when they are in heat. I have to say, though, they may do this with an infection also. Couldn't hurt to at least call the vet.

Thanks Bruce, I'm bringing Twinkle for her last vax on Friday so I'll bring Daisy Boo too.
Joanna

Be sure to give your vets an advance heads up that you'll have two in tow. :) I once made the mistake of just bringing along a second animal for a health check of some kind and while they happily fit them both in, they asked that I be sure to arrange such additions in advance in future, as it enables them to make sure they stick to their planned schedules as closely as possible. :oops: It was an obvious point but didn't occur to me at the time... icon_slapper

Back