• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Problem with cat poop!!!!!!!!

jennapea

Help, please!!!!!!!!
My 7 month old Isabelle is getting worse and worse at sneaking into the furnace room and taking cat poop out of the litter box (with the litter still all over it) and eating it. We find it all over the house. I try to discipline her the same way as before she was potty trained. If I caught her eating or playing with it, she got a loud, firm "NO!" and I pick it up with paper towel and throw it away.
It's not working! And my cat is old and fat, so we have tried to put up a gate and he was too heavy to jump over it. We have tried a pile of books, but come on, Isabelle is more agile than he is. That's no feat for her.
I honestly don't know what to do as I can't close the door or the cat will start going somewhere else.
Any good suggestions?
:cry: :x

When Star was about the same age she did the same thing except it was poop from the neighbourhood cats who'd been in our back garden. She even developed a bad stomach infection from it. We brought her to the vet and she said it was more than likely just a phase and to try and divert her with nicer goodies to chew on - kong etc... Thankfully after a few weeks she grew out of it and hasn't touched the stuff since. So perhaps it's just a phase for your doggie too.

Jennapea- I feel your pain. :(

Finn- I certainly hope it's a phase. Spencer is 15 months and loves cat poop more than ever. We have two cats and thus two boxes. My husband thinks it's funny (he's not the one that digs it out of Spencer's mouth) and says Spencer is going to the "candy store".

We have two cats and two boxes that have lids on them, they're also turned just right into a corner so the cats can fit in and out, but Abbey can't. So far it's worked... 8)

Could you get a strong gate and drape a sisal rug over it, stitching the rug through the gate so that doesn't come loose or move? This should be enough to enable your cat to clamber over the gate whilst keeping doggie out.

I have 6 cats ...and 3 dogs who also loved cat poop . I have a 18 inch high pet gate .....low enough to not bother the cats and high enough to keep the dogs out ;) Works like a Charm !!!! The pet gate is not as high as a baby gate !

I try to do poo patrol everyone morning as the local cats seem to pick on my garden.... they are getting much better but when Busta was a pup, I did have to laugh as he looked like he had a large cigar hanging out his mouth.... my vet also suggested putting something awful tasting on the poo which could put them off eating it... but know my luck they would love the taste of it.... tried to put vinegar on the stairs as they decide to start bitting them and Woody was loving it - little sods... :D

Is there a way to put in one of those pet doors with the swinging door that's hinged at the top? That's what we have because we used to have the same problem. We found that we had to teach Buck (the cat) that he had to push on the flap to get through; we didn't teach the dogs and they never figured it out. If you think she might figure it out, I have also heard from someone that there is a pet door with an electronic lock that is deactivated by a collar the cat wears. Sounds like it may be expensive.

Just goes to show, no matter how cute and adorable these guys are, they're still a dog!!

another option is to put a gate up off the ground a bit so the cats can get under it, but the dog can't.

Sounds like the cat may be too big to be ducking under the gate, this works with one of mine but she's only 2.5kilos or so. Cody picked up the cat flap idea fairly quickly too from watching the cats which is just as well because we have them in several of our internal door also :D

Another option is to put the litterbox on a table top out of the dogs reach.
One of my cats had great difficulty getting to grips with jumping the gate because the gate was to thin for him to balance on top of, it took almost 2 weeks until he was managing it ! This is the same cat who has no problem clearing a 7ft fence in the garden when he gets the chance or escaping out of the skylights upstairs :lol:

Another suggestion might be, there is this stuff called Forbid... You put it in your cat's food, it is tasteless to the cat and it makes the poo taste terrible for dogs.

Here is the website
www.revivalanimal.com
and go to Dogs, on the left side of the screen. Then to Health Suppies for Dogs. And it is on the very first page of that section. It's called Forbid, and it breaks dogs and puppies from eating stools. It is about 12$
Thanks-

Jen said:
another option is to put a gate up off the ground a bit so the cats can get under it, but the dog can't.

Now there's another great idea as well! The cat is very fat, but I think if he can fit under my bed everyday, he could get through that!

jenihill said:
Another suggestion might be, there is this stuff called Forbid... You put it in your cat's food, it is tasteless to the cat and it makes the poo taste terrible for dogs.

Here is the website
www.revivalanimal.com
and go to Dogs, on the left side of the screen. Then to Health Suppies for Dogs. And it is on the very first page of that section. It's called Forbid, and it breaks dogs and puppies from eating stools. It is about 12$
Thanks-

thank you everyone for your input!! I am going to buy some of this as well. One of these ways has to help!

I did have to laugh as he looked like he had a large cigar hanging out his mouth....

:lol: :lol: Those are FIRM cat poops!! Leo looks like he has a cigar when he has those pizzle sticks; he always walks around with it half hanging out of his mouth. :roll:

We have a solution!!!!!!

We have a company coming out Saturday called "Invisible Fence". I don't know if anyone outside of the US is familiar with it. We aren't allowed fences in our neightborhood, so this is a wire underground that sends some kind of zap to the dog if they try to get out of the yard. It sounded inhumane to me, but my neighbors all swear by it. We've had too many problems with Isabelle escaping and keeping her stuck on her chain and not able to roam feels more inhumane to me than the fence.
Well they can rig the inside of your house too, so they are going to set up a boundary for the furnace room, so hopefully one or two time trying to get in there, she'll learn. I woke up to cat poop and litter all over my living room floor last night. Isabelle must have been sleepwalking in the middle of the night for a midnight snack.
LOL

icon_yikes

thank god not one of my dogs like cat poo instead they eat the cat food :roll:

Back