• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

the truth about greenies

Just like with anything, if you use it wrong, there could be a problem. I give my Molly greenies a couple times a week. I always monitor her while she is having one, and I give her the right size greenie. She loves them, and they keep her teeth clean and white. I will continue to give them to her.

I've decided to stop giving greenies. The main reason being that Shelby is a gulper. Therefore she does not chew the greenie except to bite it into two pieces. Therefore it is not doing her teeth any good. So, sorry kiddos, no more greenies. Poor Jakey has enough problems with 1/4 of his mouth missing and Shelby inhales...so that's the end of that.

I hated to do it but I threw away about $20.00 worth of greenies after seeing CNN the other night. It was heartbreaking to see what happened to those poor dogs. Before this report even came out, our vet also advised us not to give greenies to our dogs, but that was mostly because of the wheat and dyes in them that my dogs appeared to have some allergies to. Like Cathy's dogs, mine are gulpers so as much as they enjoy them, I don't want to take any chances. Maybe if they took their time with them, I would feel differently. Once I saw Max pull a good sized ear off a stuffed dog toy and before I could bend over to pull it out of his mouth, he had already gulped it down. I never knew such small dogs could be such aggresive chewers!

That's how I feel. Jake could have them just fine because he actually chews them and enjoys them. Shelby bites them into 2 or 3 pieces and just swallows them whole. If one can't have them it's not fair for the other to have them. We have lots of other goodies we can give instead.

I'd take the same steps with a gulper, and be very cautious about any chew, any toy that can gradually come apart, and about feeding raw bones like raw chicken wings, as they can be gulped in unchewed chunks too.

I asked my vet about greenies just this morning. The response was that you need to watch a dog with any treat, toy or food you give it. If they bite off big chunks and don't chew it well - then take it away. My vet's office said they have had greenies for sale in their office for more than 3 years and have never had to remove a greenie obstruction, although they have had to remove balls, fish hooks and all sorts of other things.

My dogs loves greenies; but, I won't be giving them greenies anymore - not so much because of the obstruction issue (mine chew their well and don't bite off chunks), but because I noticed that when they ate them, their stools were GREEN! :shock: Since I feed a super premium food, in part, because they don't add colors and extra "stuff", I can't see why I would then turn around and give it to them in a treat.

But my dogs did love greenies. :)

Teddy was just a puppy the summer of '03 when the vet gave me a greenie to have teddy chew while he got his shots....
Now I am throwing away my supply of petite greenies because of the cnn report---Teddy had an obstruction and emergency surgery last april due to a pair of panty hose.
I am not going to take any chances--he never chews them long enough for me to feel comfortable.

Nancy
New Jersey :)

Back