• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

puppies on their way

jatomic

I´m so excited. I just heard that my boy is going to be a father and I maybe a happy owner of a new pup! Thumbs up there will be a suitable one. Can´t wait till they are born.

May I respectably ask if you had your dog MRI'd for SM before using as a stud dog? and was the bitch also scanned?

Over the last 18 months I have lost three cavaliers under the age of 3yrs with SM.

It's heartbreaking.

Alison.

I´m sorry to hear about your loss Alison.

I have not MRI´d my dog for SM as it is not possible in my country, at least not for dogs that don´t have any symptoms. His heart, patellas and eyes have been checked regularly which is what the breed organization requires of breeding stock. I know the dogs in his and the bitches pedigree 3-4 generations back and none of them have symptoms (which of course doesn´t have to mean anything). In fact, I have only heard of three SM cases in our country and never seen a dog with the condition, and I´ve been among this breed for over twenty years. But I´m sure that if the problem gets worse, our breed organization will stricten the rules first place. For the time being, to be able to register the puppies at the kennel union the parents need a heart certificate at the moment of mating, thus all registered puppies have parents that have had their heart checked.

Still, I´m happy to get a new baby and don´t have any hesitations having a pup after these parents.

Hi Linda, there is a thread under SM Forum down on the index which should hopefully explain all.

This is exciting news! :) Let us know how the pregnancy develops. What are the possible colours from this mating and what are you hoping for yourself? Will you take a female or male?

Regarding SM, I do believe that caring people weigh up approaches at this time and are doing the best they can with the means within their reach. IMHO, it would be so very helpful if national clubs gave more guidance and information -- on ALL sides of this topic -- right now, I think there's so much misinformation circulating that even the most responsible people don't know where to turn or how to weigh up the evidence. That's one reason I created my SM Infosite -- http://sm.cavaliertalk.com -- and the SM Forum on this site, so that people can get the latest information coming from the researchers and neurologists and also talk amongst themselves without feeling the topic is 'censored' as sadly it seems to be on some boards and lists. Information on SM is scarce to nonexistent on most of the cavalier club websites so far but hopefully this will continue to change.

Alison_Leighfield said:
May I respectably ask if you had your dog MRI'd for SM before using as a stud dog? and was the bitch also scanned?

Over the last 18 months I have lost three cavaliers under the age of 3yrs with SM.

It's heartbreaking.

Alison.

Oh Alison, how heartbreaking to lose one let alone three. Is it a bad coincidence or were these from the same breeder? God bless them and you! :cry:

Kat,

In answer to your question...

They were not related in any way, they were not all the same colour, not one dog was on the papers of any of the others.

Tilly was 3yrs, Annie was roughly 4 yrs (she was my little rescue angel) and Pippa was 10 months. Pippa was scanned at 6 months and was found to be severe even at that tender age, symptoms with her showed from 16 wks. A second scan was repeated at 10 months with severe progression, it was the kindest thing to do, to let her find peace and release her from the pain.

Do I think it is only coincidence?

No, I think it is very widespread within the breed. I have friends with affected Cavaliers and some with more than one affected Cav in their home. In my neighbourhood I know of five affected Cav's, it's so frightening.

I adore the breed but will now only home rescues, having a home and love is the most important thing for them, I get what I take and make the very most of that gift.

Take care,

Alison, Wilts, UK.

Back