• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

**** URGENT! Demo against puppy farms this Thur 23rd ****

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
According to the tourist brochures, Ireland is a land of literature, music, pints and friendly people -- but one of its darker secrets is that it is also the puppy farm capital of Europe. Due to weak legislation and effectively, no regulation, dogs can be bred in Ireland in battery-farm operations (small cages, cardboard boxes, darkened disused farm buildings, and worse) that have been condemned internationally for their cruel conditions and the poor health and quality of the dogs produced. If you live in Ireland, you have probably seen the images of dogs and puppies taken in appalling conditions during raids on such operations over the past two years. If you live in the US, Canada or UK and have checked out the internet for a purebred puppy, you'll probably have seen where these puppies end up -- sold to you through brokers as puppies from 'champion Irish dogs'. The broker will usually say their cousin/sister/best friend back in Ireland breeds these dogs. The Irish Kennel Club registration is usually faked. The brokers make a fortune, as do the puppy farms back on the 'ould sod', who operate in a grey area where taxes aren't usually paid and nothing is spent on ensuring the pups are healthy or humanely kept.

In 2004, after a series of particularly horrific raids, the Irish government formed a working group to try and tackle this problem. Many months later, the group submitted a report and a solid series of recommendations ( www.environ.ie/DOEI/DOEIPol.nsf/wvNavView/Dog Control?OpenDocument&Lang=#I9 ), all based on enhancing existing legislation so that action could be taken immediately (taking the primary legislation route could take years).

That was last autumn. Since then, a new Minister for the Environment, Dick Roche, has dragged his feet on implementing the report ordered by his predessor in that office, offering a series of excuses that suggest the goal is to do nothing at all about these 'farms', not in the lifetime of this government.

So now it's YOUR chance. A demonstration will be held this Thursday, 23rd February, from 5pm-6pm at the Kildare St gate of Dail Eireann to show that Irish people care about this issue and are sick of this country having the appalling reputation as Europe's puppy farm capital. Organisers will be asking the Minister to act on the report and will hand in this online petition

http://www.dogtrainingireland.ie/news_working_group_petition.php

Be sure to sign it if you haven't. If you can, come along on Thursday, bring your dog, and make sure this issue can't go off the government agenda.

Feel free to crosspost anywhere.

How I wish with all my heart that I could come.

If you possibly can go then please do, these dogs need all the help they can get, to be free of the cruel and brutal way that they live and are treated.

Will be thinking of you on that day,

Alison. UK.

Karlin
I received a email stating that if you could not attend to please send a letter to the following address:

For those of us who signed and do not live in Ireland.
Linda

Demonstration will be held at Dáil Eireann, Leinster House, Kildare
Street, Dublin 2 at 5pm Thursday 23rd February 2006

If you can’t make the demonstration please write to the Minister:
Minister Dick Roche
Department of the Environment
Custom House, Dublin 1
Tel: 01-2863211
Fax: 01-2867666

Thank you, your support is appreciated,

Yes, continued letters to the Minister will also help.

If anyone on this board is remotely thinking of going, PLEASE DO. We really need as many as possible at this as we now have commitments from all three main opposition partieds to have TDs there: Greens, Fine Gael and Labour. Also RTE and TV3 will be there with cameras and other press. If we have only a small turnout this will all fall apart!! So please, please if you possibly can, come for as close to 5 as you can and bring a dog if at all possible.

Wish us all luck tomorrow! Tara and Lisa from this website have worked incredibly hard to organise this, print flyers, print placards, make a banner, send out emails and press releases, make calls. We have all networked like mad.

We know have commitments to attend for:

* Pete Wedderburn VICAS - TV3's vet - Spokesperson for the Stay Dog & Cat Forum

* Irish Kennel Club Representative

* ISPCA - Chairperson Barbara Bent and Secretary Dorothy Walker

* Dogs Trust - Education Officer Iris Denieffe

* TD's (MP's) from the Labour Party

* TD's from Fine Gael

* TD's from the Green Party

* Veterinarians

Former Tanaiste (deputy prime minister) Dick Spring said he will stop by to give a thumbs up. Plus people from various rescues and individuals (and their dogs!). If you are wavering on whether to come, please do! It will be a friendly and fun crowd.

We will be leafletting around Trinity College probably from about 3:30 to 4:30 so if you are walking by say hi!!

K.

icon_banana icon_banana

I'm just back from the demo. There was a really good turn out despite the exceptionally bad weather :cry: There was a really good media presence also so hopefully it will get good coverage in the press. I had the pleasure of meeting Karlin and the gorgeous Jaspar and Leo also which was great!

icon_flowers Hi Joanna and great to meet you too! I am told Sharon mentioned the rally would be on the 9pm RTE news and TV3 was there too so both main TV networks; also lots of journalists and a great turnout in the drizzle! Poor Leo and Jaspar were a bit soggy but hung in there til the end.

It's the press coverage we really wanted, that pushes the issue back into discussion. Thanks to any and all who signed the petition, sent letters, came today, and gave any form of support! I am really happy with the turnout as I hadn;t thought we'd get so many out in the rain. Lots of cars and buses honked at us too! icon_banana

That's fantastic news .....
I was unfortunately on training with the Fire Brigade yesterday and wasn't free until after 5pm .... was thinking of you guys though in the rain.... Hope Jaspar and Leo are well dry now???

Please put some links on the board of any coverage. Wish I was in Ireland to be there for the support yesterday.
Congrats to all of you that made it. Let's hope this made a big difference!!!
icon_thumbsup

Im ragging I couldnt get to go I heard it was a good turn out

Hopefully the Government will stand up and take some notice now icon_crssedfingers

Back