• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

EEEK- Horrific Stink!

Hi Everyone,

Buddy, my puppy, has been doing great, eating better than before, very active and happy, learning the housetraining routine still.

Here's a strange problem- just yesterday, he started emitting a terrible overwhelmingly foul metallic-fishy odor from his rear (it comes in waves). My boyfriend has noticed it too. He is not scooting or licking that area and has normal bowel movements- is this a common anal gland problem? Does anyone have any temporary solutions until I can take him to the vet in 2 days (he has an appt for vaccines anyway)? His behavior is pretty normal as well.

Any help would be much appreciated- I feel bad not wanting to cuddle with him but his weird stink infests everything it touches!

Sounds like anal glands or some sort of infection perhaps? But I'd call the vet's office to be sure they don't think this is something you should act on immediately. They would just give the vax a day or two early, it doesn't really matter.

They just told me to bring him in at the usual time- did not seem very concerned. The stink has gone away a bit- he only had one nasty wave yesterday and so far today, none. I'll update later- I've read on some other breed forums of a similar problem but usually with females in heat (metallic smell).

A few days ago, Buddy gave me a "high-5"- and has since learned how to do it on command- sooooo cute! I can't wait to share pictures :D

It could be bad gas. Have you changed his food or given him new treats lately?

Could also be anal glands, as Karlin suggests. Cedar had issues with anal glands when she was only a few months old. I think it was due to pretty runny poos because her food wasnt working with her. How firm are Buddy's stools? If the smell has gone away, it could be that he managed to clear his glands on his own.

Either way -- gas or anal glands -- if he's acting normally otherwise, waiting a day or two for your appointment probably wont be a big deal.

Hi,

Thanks movie-dust and karlin!

I got back from the vet a while ago. It was INDEED an anal gland- his right one was very full- she emptied it without a problem and told me he probably was just having a little trouble emptying it out himself. And I did change his food about 2 weeks ago- was probably it. Stools have been normnal- actually on the firm side. The vet also told me that some dogs do have a metallic odor in their glands, and it is normal although most are usually described as "fishy." I guess my buddy is just special that way :lol:

Ok, enough of the gross out- thanks again for the support!

Great that it was something so easily rectified! I am sure he is glad to have his cuddles again. :)

Ps Hard poops are good -- they help empty the anal glands naturally.

Good! I'm glad it was an easy fix. Hopefully, as he gets used to his new diet and his stools continue to be firm, you wont have to deal with expressing the glands by hand again. I know there are some on the board who have learned to express their dog's glands on their own. Personally... I think the vet earns his/her money with this procedure. icon_yuk

Moviedust said:
Personally... I think the vet earns his/her money with this procedure. icon_yuk
The scary thing is that some people learn to empty the glands on their own and don't even go to the vet for it. In fact, some time ago I found this little Flash demo on how to empty them at home:
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_anal_sacs.html
Luckly my Chester hasn't had any gland problems, but if he did I would let the vet empty them too!

I'm glad Buddy is all better and non-stinky now! Give him hugs from me!

Back