• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Abbey's MRI

Jen

Please keep Abbey in your thoughts, she has her MRI next Thursday, March 2nd. We're still hoping this is PSOM rather than SM, but I guess we'll have our answer soon enough.

Paws and fingers crossed here too Jen, thinking of you and Abbey and sending postiive thoughts.

Good Luck, Jen! Chad and Mylee, my two youngsters, had theirs on thursday at Cambridge. I know exactly how you are feeling!

Michelle

:( I hope Chad is OK. What a relief that neither show SM!

Hydrocephalus has been associated w/ SM or COMS (the skull malformation) in some cases that I am aware of. It makes sense if you think about what's going on. The brain is too big for the skull so it squishes out the back. The norrmal flow of CSF is disrupted and/or blocked. That is theoretically what causes SM. But this could also cause hydrocephalus if the fluid backs up into the skull (vs into the spinal cord like in SM).

When I took neurology last year, I couldn't understand why sometimes SM would occur and sometimes hydrocephalus. The neurologist/professoor didn't give me an answer I was happy with, either.

Anyway - it sounds like he has adapted well and doesn't have any problems, which is great! Sometimes it can be an incidental finding. A professor this year told us about a study they did where they MRId the top 10% scoring children in an IQ test and found 4 or 5 had hydrocephalus with significant brain matter lost and no symptoms! (And obviously very intelligent, also!) The brain is very adaptable. It's pretty amazing.

I'm so pleased about Mylee's result, Michelle, that's great news.

Sorry that it wasn't so good for Chad - paws and fingers crossed for him, please let us know when you have some more news. Will be a very difficult few days for you, sending love and ((((hugs))))

Nicki said:
I'm so pleased about Mylee's result, Michelle, that's great news.

Sorry that it wasn't so good for Chad - paws and fingers crossed for him, please let us know when you have some more news. Will be a very difficult few days for you, sending love and ((((hugs))))

I am ok with the results. I am hoping the full results come through quickly. The good news is that no one has told Chad that there is anything wrong :lol: I am still hopeful for a good grade for him, although he will not be used at stud now anyway.

The results from the MRI came back clear, for the most part...
She has the malformation, but Dr. McVey didn't see any signs of SM--as in, the brain wasn't protruding out of the malformation. He also didn't see any sign of PSOM. He's passing her film onto a radiologist for a 2nd opinion, and he'll then call us later today or tomorrow morning.
Overall, it's good news, but yet we still don't have any answers as to her behaviors. Once the radiologist report is back, we'll then discuss how we want to move forward in terms of keeping her on Lasix or taking her off to see what happens. I ordered a copy of the film and it should be ready for me tomorrow, and I'd like to have a few others look at it as well.

She had a difficult time during the procedure--at one point towards the end she stopped breathing and she also puked afterwards when she was waking up. I've just been staring at her all afternoon, I'm so happy to have her home that I really don't care just what it is we're dealing with anymore.

Rippleoak said:
The good news is that no one has told Chad that there is anything wrong :lol:

Just don't tell him :)

Jen - well, some mixed news there huh? It's wonderful that you aren't seeing sm but at the same time what is going on?!

I know you'll keep us informed. Thinking of you.

I think overall that is a result to be relieved about with some more exploring to be done. It is frustrating not to get some clear explanations but at the same time, what a relief not to have syrinxes showing on the MRI. icon_flowers

I can imagine that you are just enjoying having her there right now; she has been through a lot, little thing!

Back