• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Abbey's MRI

Yes, we're relieved there are no syrinxes, but we're still plugging away for some answers. At this point, she has the malformation, no syrinxes, but still shows symptoms. Dr. Clare Rusbridge has seen cases like this, which means there is something more to SM than just the malformation that can lead to the herniated brain blocking the normal CSF fluid which then creates the syrinxes. She feels it may have something to do with the velocity of the CSF fluid, which would make sense considering we've seen results in terms of less symptoms with Abbey since she's been on Lasix.
Once we get the images back this week, I plan to send them to Clare to have her review them.

Once again, it shows how difficult this disease is in terms of not every case is cookie-cutter and that there is more to it than scratching--not all dogs even have that as a symptom. We've thought about looking at allergies again, but yet we're most concerned about is her front leg trembling and her yelping for no reason, both which would not be allergy-based and the reason as to why we're still concerned about just what it is we're dealing with.

Clare got back to us, and agrees with our neuro that there is no sign of SM, however, she feels the malformation is obstructing the CSF flow enough to cause the symptoms we're seeing. She's suggests keeping Abbey on Furosemide (Lasix) long term or considering surgery. Right now we give Furosemide only 1/day, we're bumping it up to 2/day per Clare's protocol. We'll go from there, hopefully this will help.

Are you giving 2 of the 20mg tablets then? Or rather one whole tablet as usually you give 1/2?

That's what I don't understand, she's on Frusomide but it's 12.5 mg 1/day. Everyone I speak with says it only comes in 10mg tablets :?

It probably depends on the manufacturer as there are generics. I just checked and mine are 20mg tablets and I give one half of those.

Jen, I'm so sorry about Abbey's results - also that she had such a difficult time.

It's very hard when the results aren't clear, thank you for sharing this with us as I have learnt more about SM from it.

Sending healing thoughts and prayers, and big hugs for you both.

The daily dosage of Frusemide seems to vary a lot - between 10 and 25 mg? The tablets we have are 40mg {they are human tablets and were for Peaches' MVD, she was on 20mg too}.

Jen

I am sorry to hear that you really don't have anymore answers in
regards to Abby.
I am not one to offer much advice, but please know that I do think
of her and also keep her in my prayers.
God Bless Both of you.

Thanks for your thoughts. We do feel better after Clare got back to us (see my earlier post above), as we now have some answers and a plan of how to move forward. We're just taking it one day at a time and enjoying her as much as possible. She's a very happy little girl :D

Back