• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Proposed BVA/KC/CM/SM Scheme

Tania

These are my notes from the talk Mike Hertage gave. I would like to have added this to Margarets Blog but it would appear I am not technical enough please excuse spelling etc.

Minimum age of scanning is one year.....commented size of syrinx increases within first few years and scanning would be best done at 6 yrs. but appreciates breeders would not be able to do this. If you do the scanning at a young age, some may slip through the net.
When you arrive at scanning centre dog must have permanent identification. Please be careful the chip is not placed in the neck has to be behind the shoulder blades.

Documents have to be available at time of scan.....Kennel Club Certificate. Any related transfer of change of name....owner has to complete an owners certificate (Section A)...confirming they own the dog and all the details are correct etc. Gives permission the scan can be used at a future date for research and the details can be published.
Will be scanned on a Diacom Image makes sure patients image goes with the right information, Diacom you cannot change patient details. Microchip number will be put on the Diacom and KC Reg. No. If the information is not correct the animal will have to be scanned again.
Talk about making sure the dog is still when MRI is performed and GA is preferred and safer for the dog as he will be monitored.
Three different scans will be needed T1 image around the pituitary and C4/C5 area, most of the sm is normally in the neck/higher area. T2 image also needed in the same area. The transverse image also needed. 4mm is maximum thickness allowed.
Vet completes forms with accurate information.
GRADING
Cm will be graded 0 – No Malformation
1 Cerebellum does not have a nice rounded shape
has an indentation by the occipital bone
2 Cerebella is impacted/herniated

SM Graded according to it maximum diameter in the transverse image at the widest diameter:-

0 No present of sm
1. Central Canal dilation has an internal dimension of 2mm
in a dog aged 6 or more (unlikely to progress further)
2. Same as Grade 1 but a dog under 6
3. With a syrinx greater thn 2mm or separate or distinct
syrinx.

Many thanks Tania.
I have added these to the blog as a comment.

I'm pleased to say that a link has also been added from Dr Rusbridge's website.

It appears that some breeders have questioned whether this information, freely given at a meeting open to all comers, should have been made available before the various regional health representatives had time to report back to their committees.

How long would that have delayed the news that the guidelines, properly followed, do work?

I would really like to know what there was in the talks we heard Thursday that demanded this sort of secrecy?

At least the figures I gave were correct.

Thanks for the very comprehensive notes Tania.
It's a very interesting grading system,obviously designed to yield the maximum information to a breeder.When is the scheme expected to go live?

Sins

Many thanks Tania.
It appears that some breeders have questioned whether this information, freely given at a meeting open to all comers, should have been made available before the various regional health representatives had time to report back to their committees.

Perhaps they should not have allowed reporters to attend the meeting. !

I have a question about an example, and I am wondering how the new protocol would handle it:

Suppose a Cavalier over 2.5 years of age has been scanned and has CM but no SM, but has severe pain which is regulated with medication. Would this dog be graded A? Or what?

The grades for CM are 0 - 2. Letters are not being used from what I understand.

These have to be approved by the BVA and might change.

Back