• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Is there any-body there????

Bet

I had mentioned on another Thread yesterday about reading the Dangers of Cousins Marrying Cousins for Humans,in -fact there is to be a TV Program on Channel 4 at 8 pm to-night here in Britain on this subject.

What I could do with some help on this subject about is, moving this onto our Cavalier Breed ,I just can't work out ,looking at a Cavalier Pedigree for Cavalier Cousins to have been mated ,would they have the same Grand-Parents or only on the one side, .

I know that Professor Sir P. Bateson said in his Recent Report that Grand-Father to Grand-Daughter or Grand-Mother to Grand-Son Matings was In-breeding, where would Cousins come into this .

Bet

Good morning Bet!
That programme is on C4 tonight I think.
In human terms,your aunt or uncle's children are your first cousins.Only one set of common grandparents is required.
There have been discussions here already regarding linebreeding and Coefficients of Inbreeding(COI). It was mentioned in a previous threas that:
25.00% - parent/offspring or full brother/sister cross
12.50% - half brother/sister, grandparent/grandpup, or double first cousins crosses
9.75% - great uncle or aunt/great niece or nephew cross
6.25% - first cousins
So,many cavaliers may be the equivalent of offspring from
"cousin marriages".(y)
Sins

Is ther any-body there ????

Good morning Bet!
That programme is on C4 tonight I think.
In human terms,your aunt or uncle's children are your first cousins.Only one set of common grandparents is required.
There have been discussions here already regarding linebreeding and Coefficients of Inbreeding(COI). It was mentioned in a previous threas that:
25.00% - parent/offspring or full brother/sister cross
12.50% - half brother/sister, grandparent/grandpup, or double first cousins crosses
9.75% - great uncle or aunt/great niece or nephew cross
6.25% - first cousins
So,many cavaliers may be the equivalent of offspring from
"cousin marriages".(y)
Sins

Thanks Sins, I just could not work it out.

I know the Article I read in the News- Paper yesterday, said that First Cousin marriages in Humans ,could result in Serious Health Problems if Recessive Genes were involved ,and that now some Doctors are trying to find out the carriers if First Cousin Marriages are taking place.

Should be an interesting TV Program to-night, especially for me not just to involve it in our Cavalier Breed , but in my Back-ground there were Cousins marrying Cousins, guess what, I am an Epileptic.

Bet

Is there any-body there???

Thanks Sins, I just could not work it out.

I know the Article I read in the News- Paper yesterday, said that First Cousin marriages in Humans ,could result in Serious Health Problems if Recessive Genes were involved ,and that now some Doctors are trying to find out the carriers if First Cousin Marriages are taking place.

Should be an interesting TV Program to-night, especially for me not just to involve it in our Cavalier Breed , but in my Back-ground there were Cousins marrying Cousins, guess what, I am an Epileptic.

Bet

IS THERE ANY- BODY THERE???

Just had a Coffee and a Think about this.

SO, if First Cousins Marrying could be causing Serious Health Problems for their Children ,then it must follow on that Cousins being Mated to Cousins in the Cavalier World could also be causing Serious Health Problems if Recessive Genes are involved.

This then must show why it is so Important to find the Genes for SM and MVD and then the Carriers for these Two Diseases will also be found.

This could maybe be why ,if there has been a lot of Cousins being Mated to Cousins in the Cavalier Breed,as was said at the Recent CKCS CLUB AGM, the Heart Murmurs are not much better than 18 years ago.

Bet

The programme is on Ch 4 at 9 o'clock BST tonight. It is is the excellent Dispatches series. I am very interested in this too and have set the Sky + to record it.

So far, for what it is worth, I can see two ways of looking at any form of line breeding. I shall be applying intelligent scepticism to the evidence produced in humans presented in tonight's programme, as I try to do when considering both sides of the argument.

Back