• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Low Calorie Food

Brian M

Hi

I still have Poppy on a diet but i am extremely nervous about weighing her as i don't think shes lost any more weight ,so i could do with good Cavalier diets please .Shes on Burns light plus beans ,carrot and broccoli with fresh plain cooked chicken breast but never having been on a diet myself i am unsure what else i can feed her thats good filling low calorie food .I presume plain white rice is a choice but other suggestions would be greatly appreciated please as i don't want to cut her Burns back as i only give her 40 gramme twice daily plus the other bits and i don't want her chewing my leg and as it is Pops finishes first then eyeballs every mouthful Rosie and Daisy has ,its a good job i feed them two in their crates as i think Poppy would quickly hoover everything up.

Brian as well as being on a low cal diet perhaps more exercise could help with the weight loss...how much exercise/running does she do on a daily basis? exercise (not slow walking!)should burn away the calories :)

Alison.

Hi

Three good walks Sat and Sun ,and nightly on Mon ,Tues ,Wed and Fri and the good thing as we have three little darlings baby Rosie harasses, Poppy by dangling off her ear on every walk and each time in the garden during the day she chases Poppy round and round the trees and pot plants .As Dawn is home full time they go out quite a lot but unfortunately as my good lady is not an animal nut she takes them for walks rarely and this point has often been discussed but its still a project in work so i am stuck on any further increase in exercise ,i know its a fine line and its calories in versus calories used so any ideas are wellcome pls:confused:

We have some on diets here. I measure the dog food. Then I put raw carrots into a food processor and shred them. I also add raw green beans, zucchini, pumpkin and other veggies to their small portion of dog food to bulk up the amount. The weight is slowly coming off.

Shes on Burns light plus beans ,carrot and broccoli with fresh plain cooked chicken breast but never having been on a diet myself i am unsure what else i can feed her thats good filling low calorie food
As I said last time that feeding a light dog food means lest protein in the ingredients and you are adding more protein to the food that’s not needed. The oats in the food is the filler, you don't need to add anything else.

http://www.burns-pet-nutrition.co.uk/obesity.htm
Vegetables (cooked and raw) can safely be included to help fill the dog if you think that is needed. It is important to check the weight regularly to ensure that the weight reduction programme is on course. It is better to lose weight slowly than rapidly - 1/2 lb per week for a small dog up to 2 lb a week for a large dog.

Another common problem that the Burns' nutritionists face is one of unintentional overfeeding. To lose weight, it is important to feed according to the target weight, not the current weight of your dog. Ask your veterinarian for a sensible target weight, or contact the Burns' helpline for more information.

You can give her the veg with the burns but you don't need to add any meat to it. The oats will fill her up and keep her from feeling hungry.

You should be feeding the amount for the weight she is trying to reach.

I think they are all about the same. Burns high oats is one of the better ones, but I think your main problem was adding more stuff instead of just keeping to a controlled amount. You can add the veg but leave the meat out of it and up her exercise.

My SiânE is fed high oats because she diabetic but she doesn't really need anything else added to it apart from some veg. She does get some meat during the day (to wrap up her tablets) but that's it.

In fact her coat now glows and she no longer has dandruff.

I feel your pain, Brian! Daisy went down 2 pounds earlier this summer, but at the last vet visit, she was right back up where she started. Very frustrating.

Whenever I've talked to "dog people" about this issue, the thing I hear over and over, including on this board, is to cut their dog food in half, but to add green beans or broccoli to bring the bulk back up to what it was, so they aren't so hungry and deprived. However, this is easier said than done, as I've learned. I've apparently got no more willpower on Daisy's behalf than I have on my own.

From what you've written (although it's hard for me to picture grams but I remember from a previous thread when Karlin translated it into a very small amount, cup-wise), the only other thing I would cut out would be the chicken breast. And I definitely would not add more carbs in the form of rice.

For us, I know the problem is and has always been the treats. She LOVES her treats, and I've gotten used to giving her treats to get her cooperation in things like brushing, coming when called, trimming nails, going in her crate, etc. She would feel absolutely betrayed if I put her in her crate, for instance, without rewarding her with a treat. I don't think she would ever forgive me.

I have unconsciously snuck her back up to her old quantity of food (a little less than one cup a day), but I'm clearly going to have to go back down to the 2/3 cup a day I was doing earlier this summer. I may also try light food next, but for now, I am working on limiting the treats and upping the exercise. We are in an agility class, that I hope will burn calories off of both Daisy and me. She's a complete natural and is doing great at that. I'm so proud of her!

Diet Food

My podgy Cavalier was on "Hill Science Plan, Light" and it really helped with the weight loss. She is currently on "Royal Canin, Light" (we couldn't get the other the last time we bought food for her) and is still doing fine. I don't give her anything else (chicken etc) but she gets raw hide and carrot when we treat her. When we are trying to get her to loose weight we try to bring her for 2 (if not more) brisk walks each day (for 20 - 30 minutes). The weight came off quite well, 2kg, but then due to a change in circumstances we couldn't dedicte so much time to the weight loss and she gained 1kg. We are starting back on the weight loss program again and she needs to loose 2kg to be down to an ok weight.

It can be very frustrating dealing with it, if they have a slow metabloism and are generally not super active the weight piles on without notice and then it is 10 times harder to get rid of it than it was to put it on (story of life!). Do keep at it though, it really pays off!

Davy

Thanks for your replies would you think if i feed Poppy as follows but bear in mind she is a larger Cavalier while Daisy and Rosie are physically smaller and weigh in at 7.1 kilo Poppy still tips the scales at 13.60 kilo so i would like to see her somewhere near 10.5 to 11.0 kilo

Two meals first at 7.30 am second 6.00 pm
so following would be for one meal

Burns High Oats 50 gram

Green Beans

Carrot

Broccoli

Keepers Mix 1 scoop (herbal conditioning supplement )

Companion Animals Pro/Pre - Biotic supplement 1 scoop

Kronch salmon oil 1 squirt

I would feed Poppy the above twice a day then of an evening give her a general conditioning tablet and an evening primrose oil capsule plus 4-5 Barker & barker little liver treat tablets (allowed up to 180 a day) .
Your comments would be greatly appreciated.

That sounds fine,is she has been spay you can knock of some more of say down to 45gms or 40grms is she still not lost anything.

SiânE is a spay lazy female but she is fed on 50grams twice a day to maintain her weight. She is a trim 12kgs but even so I still have to be careful with her as last time as the vets I thought she had lost weight only to find out she had gained a few pounds. :rolleyes:

Oh and I don't care how much they say they don't keep in mind the secret feeders. Your not always around and its soo easy to think one bit won't do no harm, till you find out how many of them are giving one bit and having three dogs in the house it will be hard to single one out from the rest.

Davy

Thanks for your replies would you think if i feed Poppy as follows but bear in mind she is a larger Cavalier while Daisy and Rosie are physically smaller and weigh in at 7.1 kilo Poppy still tips the scales at 13.60 kilo so i would like to see her somewhere near 10.5 to 11.0 kilo

Two meals first at 7.30 am second 6.00 pm
so following would be for one meal

Burns High Oats 50 gram

Green Beans

Carrot

Broccoli

Keepers Mix 1 scoop (herbal conditioning supplement )

Companion Animals Pro/Pre - Biotic supplement 1 scoop

Kronch salmon oil 1 squirt

I would feed Poppy the above twice a day then of an evening give her a general conditioning tablet and an evening primrose oil capsule plus 4-5 Barker & barker little liver treat tablets (allowed up to 180 a day) .
Your comments would be greatly appreciated.

Hi

Thanks Davy and everybody poor Pops diet starts tomorow ,and one last question pls is it OK to give them a bit of boiled white fish (no bones ) and cut down a bit on the Burns but that would only be once a week.

Hi

Thanks Davy and everybody poor Pops diet starts tomorow ,and one last question pls is it OK to give them a bit of boiled white fish (no bones ) and cut down a bit on the Burns but that would only be once a week.

Yes of course you can. SiânE still gets pilchards a couple of times a week for an evening meal. If I get some meat to add to her meals I do cut down on the dry food, just that I don't do it everyday and until you see the weight start to go just do it once a week.

There no harm in a treat (meal) so not to get too boring for her, just not everyday and until you see the weight start to come off just do it once a week.

Back