• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Phantom poos!

TriTitch

Hi,an issue that has been niggling at me for ages!
Titch,within the first 5 mins of a walk will find an appropriate spot and poo :)
Cool but then another 5 mins into the journey will hovver,lift his tail and go through all the motions again but nothing will appear(I am trying to phrase this oh-so-politely lol)

It leaves me feeling like I should get out the doggy bags and go through all the rigmarole of clearing up fresh air lol cos I feel guilty walking away from the space where Titch has done an invisible poo!

In linked fields he seems healthy i.e. he seems happy with the food and treats that hes on........is this phantom pooing normal or should I be looking into firming up his diet a little more?

It leaves me feeling like I should get out the doggy bags and go through all the rigmarole of clearing up fresh air lol cos I feel guilty walking away from the space where Titch has done an invisible poo!

I can really understand your desier to "be seen to be doing the right thing", even if there is nothing there. When my guys do a poo in public, I always make sure that the plastic bag is really obvious in my hand.... that way people know right away that you are a good citizen. Maybe just make a show of the bag even if you don't need to use it.

If your dog looks to be trying to poop a bit more almost every time, I'd mention it to the vet. It is probably nothing to worry about, but I am just wondering if there might be something just inside the anus that is making him feel like he needs to do a bit more. My dogs do this occasionally, but I am just thinking that if it is a regular thing maybe worth checking.

Perhaps a little rough bran (oat or wheat), bought from a health shop/stall, ie not the processed breakfast cereal, would help. it will bulk out the stool, so perhaps make it easier to pass.

Pippin does this when his glands are full and need emptying....might be worth mentioning it to your vet.

How are his first stools?? Are they nicely formed, runny, watery, etc?

I have never had a "phantom pooping" incident except for when one of mine have been constipated or had the runs ;)

Right thanks for the advice folks.
Titch had his ....ahem .....manhood snipped on wednesday and have got a follow-up appointment tomorrow so shall ask a few more questions then.
Ive asked about his anal glands before re: scooting across the floor in the mornings and the vet didnt seem to think it was a problem above average doggy behaviour but shall mention the phantom poos tomorrow and see what he says ;)

How are his first stools?? Are they nicely formed, runny, watery, etc?

I have never had a "phantom pooping" incident except for when one of mine have been constipated or had the runs ;)
Stools have always been a little on the soft side but I put that down to Titch being fed a 75% tinned food diet.....should I feed him a human cereal in the morning such as ready brek(as you do when theyre puppies) do you think?

A spoonful of bran , on his food (easy when it's tinned ) would be more effective. ask your vet about the quantity to use.

Maija has been doing the same now a couple of times. She'll poo (it's nice and firm) but then she carries on as if she was pooing but there's nothing coming. I stand there waiting with the bag, this can last two or three minutes. Then she'll run again quite happily. Bizarre.

I'm not too keen on the idea of bran in your dog's food.

We did this with Tarmac and Guinness - thinking it was right (cos it's the human good practice you know - roughage)
I think this is where Guinness's ear problems started - which was probably due to allergies - this addition being the only new thing.

With the raw food - we get smaller amounts of poop - tend to be firm (sometimes rockhard) and can take a bit of passing - so sometimes we get the phantom one - but a little up the street he tries again. And no anal gland problems.:xfngr:

Tobe had the same problem and after awhile when he was trying, he would squeeze out some watery poo, i took him to the vets and after blood tests and poo samples, they have decided it must be a leaky bowel and have given him steroid and a very strict diet, i dont want to worry you but it is definately worth getting it checked out!
I'm just praying Tobe will be be ok on the medication, and return to himself in no time.
Hope all is ok!! :)

Last edited:
Back