• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Kennel Club Breeder Symposium 29/11/09

Why?

I checked out the Kennel Club list of heath tests and there is NO test for MVD listed nor any mention (that I could find) of MRI screening. What kind of Accredited Breeder List is this going to be, anyway?

I'm afraid I can answer my own question but i hope I am wrong. Please tell me I am wrong.

Kathy :bang:

I checked out the Kennel Club list of heath tests and there is NO test for MVD listed nor any mention (that I could find) of MRI screening. What kind of Accredited Breeder List is this going to be, anyway?

I'm afraid I can answer my own question but i hope I am wrong. Please tell me I am wrong.

Kathy :bang:

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/download/1100/abshealthreqs.pdf

The only mandatory test is for eyes because that is an official BVA/KC scheme and they can check results.

The heart scheme is a Cavalier Club scheme so the KC can only recommend that it is done. The guidelines recommend that cavaliers are not bred until they are 2.5 years, and their parents 5 years, and all are murmur free. It would be interesting to know how many accredited cavalier breeders comply with those recommendations?

The accredited breeders are to ask the breed clubs for advice on syringomyelia.
That means that the advice given is controlled by the secretaries of the cavalier clubs, and will depend on their own attitude to MRI scanning and breeding to SM guidelines.

The proposed BVA/KC heart & MRI schemes are somewhere out there, probably lost in a fog of breed club and Kennel Club indifference.

Back