• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Injured leg

Jessieca

Injured leg??

Hi guys! Last night Bailey was running around playing, and got really excited when my boyfriend got home. He ran into the living room and quickly stopped and turned, which he often does when playing. This time he yelped, and ran around yelping like crazy. Once he calmed down, he didn't yelp anymore, but he has been limping since. He also has not gone potty today, and he always does first thing in the morning. He ate all of his food and drank a lot of water yesterday evening as normal, so it's strange that he hasn't gone. I don't know if it's because he cannot bend his leg to squat.

I left a message for the vet, but I haven't heard back yet. I know this is silly to ask, but we've not had a dog before. Could he have just hurt a muscle like a person does? We touched his legs, and the bones all felt okay, and he didn't make any noise to indicate he was in pain. I checked his paws and nails also, both fine. He is keeping his leg super straight. I am trying to make sure he's not over exerting himself, and honestly he has just been sleeping a lot. He did try to jump on the couch last night, and yelped and waited for me to pick him up.

Any advice? We do have baby aspirin, and I gave him one last night after looking around online, and remembered my vet had told me to give him it when he hurt his eye awhile back. Should I give him another this morning? Thanks again for any advice!

Last edited:
poor bailey- i hope he feels better soon! yes, dogs can injure their muscles like humans do. We had Indy x-rayed for suspected injury over a year ago and the vet talked about how if indy had a muscular injury, we wouldn't be able to tell from an x-ray. that's about all i know though....

have you heard anything from your vet yet?

Oddly enough the vet never called back, I have no idea why! I gave Bailey another baby aspirin earlier today, and he slept most of the day, and now he seems to be doing quite a bit better!! I am thinking it must have been something minor, because his limp is almost gone. Thanks for your response :) It's probably silly, but it was very hard for us to not worry since he's never hurt himself like that before.

I agree that it's hard not to worry - Personally I would put him on crate rest and leash walks until you can get him into the vet just to be safe. It sounds like a pulled muscle to me, but it's hard to say without a vet exam!

I agree that it's hard not to worry - Personally I would put him on crate rest and leash walks until you can get him into the vet just to be safe. It sounds like a pulled muscle to me, but it's hard to say without a vet exam!

Thanks! Yeah, he's basically rested in his crate a lot of today, and we are having him take it easy. I am kind of concerned that I cannot get a hold of my vet (he works from a home office). If I don't hear back from him tomorrow, I will just find a different one.

Back