• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

new puppy, need help!!

Feebee

Well i got my new puppy today, and i would like to have him sleep in the crate, do i leave the crate downstairs (would i prefer he learns to sleep there) or do i put the crate in my room and move him when he gets older? he is 4 months old, the breeder said that she closes the dogs inside at 9pm, and they yip to be let out around 6am, sometimes there is a mess on the paper but recently there hasnt been

oh and hes fast asleep on my lap right now!

If you start him sleeping upstairs thats where he will be for EVER.
Start him off where you want him to be permanently, he might cry for a night or 2 but will get use to it......mine all sleep upstairs.

If you start him sleeping upstairs thats where he will be for EVER.
Start him off where you want him to be permanently, he might cry for a night or 2 but will get use to it......mine all sleep upstairs.

k that was the answer i was looking for, but its so hard to hear him cry :( should i leave a light on for him? or not? the breeder didnt say if she did or not

Drape a blanket over his crate, it will become his den and maybe leave the radio on low for him......hark at me the woman who has one Pup by the side of her bed another at the foot and 2 in her daughters room.

I mention the word bed and they all shoot upstairs. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
We got a new puppy a few days ago and we keep her up in our room (as she is not toilet trained) everytime we hear her yelping i take her out of the crate and take her outside for a wee because she usually screams when she needs to go. In a few weeks i will put her downstairs and she will stay there for her night life now...

Rajacadoo

should i leave a light on for him? or not? the breeder didnt say if she did or not

Oh bless, sounds like you are definitely a Cavalier Mum! He might like a cuddly toy or a piece of your clothing. How long have you had him? I know it's hard but don't go down to him.

I started with the crate and after a year or so, progressed to the bed but I agree, crating a dog is important.

Oh I missed the bit where you said it's your first night. It'll settle especially as he is used to being crated. You'll be fine, he'll be fine. :hug:

I'd suggest starting by downloading this free book by one of the world's best dog trainers as it will help answer a lot of questions and also get you shaping your pup into the adult dog you wish him to be :) :

http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/after-you-get-your-puppy

If this is a young pup don't forget that you *cannot* leave him all night in a crate really; he will need to be taken out to relieve himself at 3-4am usually during the night for the first few weeks.

I don't think it matters that much where you keep your puppy -- all of my four have been moved from sleeping in the room, to crates, to another room, to another room in crates -- there's a few days' adjustment generally but most dogs make an easy transition. I think for young puppies it is comforting to have a person sleeping nearby and many guidebooks recommend having the pup by the bed. Not least because it is more likely the pup will awaken you rather than mess its crate -- which you rally never want to happen as it ruins crate training and is uncomfortable for the pup, and makes housetraining harder.

Oh bless, sounds like you are definitely a Cavalier Mum! He might like a cuddly toy or a piece of your clothing. How long have you had him? I know it's hard but don't go down to him.

I started with the crate and after a year or so, progressed to the bed but I agree, crating a dog is important.

Oh I missed the bit where you said it's your first night. It'll settle especially as he is used to being crated. You'll be fine, he'll be fine. :hug:

He hasn't been crated as such, they had a wire fence area inside so the dogs couldnt get through the whole house, we both had just had 1hour sleep i woke to hear him crying, so thought i would take him outside, no toileting so straight back into crate, he has stopped crying (took about 5mins)

in his crate he has a soft toy dog - dog safe, his doogy bedding and he has a heat pad thing (is only in one corner of his cage under his bedding its plastic, my sister had it for her kitten but it provides extra warmth if he wants it)

First off, congrats on the new addition! :)

I always start them off where they are going to stay. My lot are in the kitchen so when they first arrive they sleep in the kitchen. The blanket over the crate is a good idea because they have less distractions and settle well (plus it gives them the " snuggley in a safe place" feeling). I have found the best way to make this work and to keep them out of the same room as you is using baby monitors so that you will hear when they are screaming to go out (sounds crazy but it works!). However, it can take a lot of willpower not to come instantly when they cry at the very start of the night - it's very like "controlled crying" in babies, let them scream their lungs out for a while. Usually they get tired and go to sleep. It can be terrible for you at the other end of the monitor though, but persistence pays off. After a few nights they will settle in no time! Same situation when you get up to let them go to the toilet, they will eventually get tired and go back to sleep.

When they are first put into a crate for the long haul at night they can get a bit stressed so other intros to the crate are a good idea - feed them in it, give them something to play with in it etc. so that they associate it with good things. The heat pad and lots of soft stuff are great ideas, nice a cosy.

Hope nights just keep getting better for you - Good luck! (y)

First off, congrats on the new addition! :)

I always start them off where they are going to stay. My lot are in the kitchen so when they first arrive they sleep in the kitchen. The blanket over the crate is a good idea because they have less distractions and settle well (plus it gives them the " snuggley in a safe place" feeling). I have found the best way to make this work and to keep them out of the same room as you is using baby monitors so that you will hear when they are screaming to go out (sounds crazy but it works!). However, it can take a lot of willpower not to come instantly when they cry at the very start of the night - it's very like "controlled crying" in babies, let them scream their lungs out for a while. Usually they get tired and go to sleep. It can be terrible for you at the other end of the monitor though, but persistence pays off. After a few nights they will settle in no time! Same situation when you get up to let them go to the toilet, they will eventually get tired and go back to sleep.

When they are first put into a crate for the long haul at night they can get a bit stressed so other intros to the crate are a good idea - feed them in it, give them something to play with in it etc. so that they associate it with good things. The heat pad and lots of soft stuff are great ideas, nice a cosy.

Hope nights just keep getting better for you - Good luck! (y)

thanks, he slept from 10:40pm till 4am, not bad, so i took him out the toilet (after his crying had stopped) and nothing happened so back into his crate, i pointed and said 'on your bed' and he went on, i gave him a few treats and left him, he cried for about 5mins (that i could hear, my house very open but i did shut my door to help keep my emotions in check) still cannot hear him so i about to go back to bed myself!

Good job! That was the hardest part of bringing Rudy home was the separation at night. But I knew long-term, it would be the best for me and my family. And it was one of the best pieces of advice I read on this board. Rudy LOVES his crate. It has become a source of comfort and as soon as anyone mentions the words 'time for bed' (or 'sleepytime' - my son's favorite!), he runs to the crate and opens the door himself. He waits for his treat and settles almost immediately.

When he was small, we put a soft toy and an old nightshirt of mine in with him. (Easy to wash if there was a slip up.) He caught on in no time tho. I only remember an accident or two. Now, we only have a fluffy mat in the crate. He's all about sleeping in that crate now.

Funny story - my son had friends in from college over spring break and they were quite noisy. After missing Rudy for a time, we thought perhaps he had slipped out the front door. Panic ensued as everyone searched outside. Eventually, he was discovered in his crate - had gone there to escape the upheaval of all the noise in the house and had drifted off to sleep. Apparently one of the boys had inadvertently knocked the crate door tight. Didn't bother Rudy a bit - he just settled in for a nap.

I did feel a bit guilty that I was crating him at night (especially when other so many other people told me their dogs slept on their beds.) But that's when we knew he really loved his crate. It was a good decision for all of us!

Most dogs do love their crate if it is used properly (never for punishment, and only for a few hours at a time and/or overnight). We had a Jack Russel who died last year @ 14 YO. We got her when she was around 1 year and wasn't housetrained. So we crated her for training. She became so attached to her crate, that she would take naps in there, go in there during thunderstorms, and slept in there *every* night (with the door open) even though she could have slept anywhere, even on the bed with us!

Ollie, just recently, has started going into his crate at night as well, on his own. He's been in the bed with us for the past year 1/2!

Back