• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Still not eating well, I think

MomObvious

I'm hoping this is a freaked out "Mommy" issue. Yes, we were on vacation last week and Fletcher didn't eat well the whole week, but I figured it was my fault because we were in new surrounds. However, we have been home since yesterday morning and he's still not eating well. However, we are experiencing I serious heat wave.....Our house has AC and we have all the fans running, even some extra ones. In heat like this you can really only expect your AC to cool it about 20 degrees less than outside. I have been feeding Fletcher Wellness Grain Free Adult, he gets kibble in the morning, fresh veggies and fruit at lunch time and kibble in the evening (I switched the lunchtime meal about a month ago when he wasn't touching the kibble at all) Well yesterday morning we were still at the beach house he did touch his food, we were running around packing so. Then he did eat his veggies and fruit lunch in the car on the way home but because we were traveling my kids hand fed him, then last night he ate about 1/3 his kibble serving. Today he did touch his kibble, I put it back down for him at lunch he ate about 1/3 again, then he had 2 baby carrots and like 3 blueberries I have pushed his evening meal back hoping he would be good and hungry however, he didn't touch it. I have been pretty strict about leave him with his food in his crate for 20 mins then its over. I do not want to get into free feeding!!!!!!

I'm hoping you will all tell me this is "normal" in a growing puppy, I know it is with human babies. I also know he will be starve to death. He has been drink a lot more water lately I think because of the heat.

I'm just gonna stay the course unless you guys have another suggestion. I have NO interest into switching kibbles either. I am still considering switching to raw but honestly I want to give therapy work a try (after much training) and therapy dogs cannot be in raw.

Any suggestions, advice, help???

Thanks,
Melissa

My guess would be that it is probably the heat making Fletcher not hungry, but if I were you I would probably phase out the lunch time snack.

Good luck!

I think it may just be an upset to his normal routine and the heat. Give it a few days and see how he is.

It's normal. Our dogs don't eat as much when it's really hot outside either. Just drains their appetite a bit. I know my daughter says the same thing about her dogs as well. ( they have 4 all different breeds) . As long as Fletcher is eating a little..like you said..he isn't starving.
Plus...as you said..his routine has been shakin' up a bit w/ the trip...so his tummy might still be a little upset.
And it's okay to be a concerned" Mommy"...we just want to make sure our babies are alright.

I don,t think there is too much to be concerned about melissa, i just think as a mum its instinct to be worried over our brood. I know with ruby when we are away from home, she eats nothing, and some days she will eat nothing, but she can afford to lose a few pound anyway. It just makes us feel better if they eat adequately daily. karen,ruby and sadie x

I'm just gonna stay the course unless you guys have another suggestion. I have NO interest into switching kibbles either. I am still considering switching to raw but honestly I want to give therapy work a try (after much training) and therapy dogs cannot be in raw.
Thanks,
Melissa

I think you are doing exactly the right thing, put the food down leave him for 20 minutes and pick up if he does not eat. Nothing more then till the next meal time. Absolutely no treats.

I am interested to know why therapy dogs cannot be fed raw food?

Nanette

Delta Society has a new rule about feeding raw to their pet therapy teams...something about salmonella I think.

Yep both of the 2 big organizations that certify therapy dogs do not allow dogs to be fed raw. I read the the risk of salmonella and other food born illnesses was in human handling of the raw food. I'm sure every owner who has taken the time to learn about raw would NEVER bother to wash their own hands too :) Stupid rule if you ask me. I talked to someone with the Delta Society about this myself, cause I wanted to be sure the fresh fruits and veggies were inline with their policy, I was told yes as long as I'm not feeding raw meat or fish.

Melissa

What you're doing sounds right time. I agree that you could skip the lunch meal for the time being. And if you think he's just not eating enough, continue with the hand-feeding. But I think it's the heat, and he's just not moving around as much, and just doesn't need as much food and it just doesn't appeal to him right now.

Yep both of the 2 big organizations that certify therapy dogs do not allow dogs to be fed raw. I read the the risk of salmonella and other food born illnesses was in human handling of the raw food. I'm sure every owner who has taken the time to learn about raw would NEVER bother to wash their own hands too :) Stupid rule if you ask me. I talked to someone with the Delta Society about this myself, cause I wanted to be sure the fresh fruits and veggies were inline with their policy, I was told yes as long as I'm not feeding raw meat or fish.

Melissa

The irony of all this is that the recent recalls of pet foods in the states and Canada were due to salmonella contamination at the plants...so raw is probably no riskier than kibble!

The irony of all this is that the recent recalls of pet foods in the states and Canada were due to salmonella contamination at the plants...so raw is probably no riskier than kibble!

I agree anything touchable can "carry" food born illnesses....that means all food. Heck that means packaging as well. Its silly. I wash my hands 100 times a day, in the winter I have the hardest time with raw chapped hands. It comes for years and years working with kids. If you change diapers, wipe noses and prepare food for children you'd understand.

Melissa

I swear by neutrogena Norwegian formula hand cream for chapped dry hands. It comes in a very small 2 oz tube. It's amazing! I wash my hands a lot, three kids, dog, being a homemaker (and a neurotic about germs, lol). It's the only thing that keeps my hands from splitting and cracking!

Back