• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Update: microfibre tooth cleaners

MadPip

:updte:
Well, we've been using these for 5 weeks now, and although both dogs have got some staining on their teeth still, the vet says that there is very little tartar and no plaque to be seen.:rah::rah:
So, I don't have to book Pippin in for a dental, which is good as it would have cost £135:eek:
I've just replaced the microfibres with some new ones as they only last 4 - 6 weeks, but this will still work out lots cheaper than the dental (and that price was with an offer on at the moment!)

Also, both dogs are getting so used to me cleaning their teeth with these finger cleaners that they've started to let me brush their teeth as well without too much fuss. *ng*l*ng*lSo we now have a new teeth cleaning routine:

Daily Brush with a doggy toothpaste
Daily go over all the teeth in a circular motion with the microfibre toot cleaners
once a week aply Beophar dental gel

also they get plaque off daily on their food.

Now, can anyone advise anything that will get rid of the staining? It stems from a time when the dogs had wet food, which stained the teeth, especially Pippins overbite.h*lp

Can you add some info on the cleaners and where you get them? They sound great!

I got them from

www.lintbells.com

I order them one day, and they arrive within 48 hours.

I can't remember where I originally saw them advertised, but they are so easy to use. I never got on with the rubber fingerbrushes, mainly because my fingers are too small:D but these cleaners, being material, fit well.

They've really helped.(y)

Now, can anyone advise anything that will get rid of the staining? It stems from a time when the dogs had wet food, which stained the teeth, especially Pippins overbite.h*lp
If anyone can help you with this, it will be BrianM. I'm thinking he might recommend Petzlife Oral Care Gel. It should remove most staining.

Our vet says both India and Geordie have permanent staining (on their molars), probably from their dams having certain antibiotics while pregnant.

One more thing, I don't know if your vet takes dental x-rays normally, but India had dental x-rays and was found to have a tooth which was broken below her gum line, and it had to be extracted. Her mouth looked normal, and she was eating normally. The dental vet said it would have been causing her pain.:( If she hadn't had her dental x-rays, it might have delayed this discovery.

One more thing, I don't know if your vet takes dental x-rays normally, but India had dental x-rays and was found to have a tooth which was broken below her gum line, and it had to be extracted. Her mouth looked normal, and she was eating normally. The dental vet said it would have been causing her pain.:( If she hadn't had her dental x-rays, it might have delayed this discovery.

No, as far as I know none of our local vets take dental x-rays. When Maddie had her descale and polish last year (whilst under anaesthetic for her spinal x-rays I thought I may as well get her teeth cleaned) they didn't even suggest dental x-rays. She does have a broken canine, just the tip, which doesn't seem to cause her any problems. I haven't noticed either of them favouring one side of the mouth when chewing either, so hopefully they're not in pain. I might ask at the vets when I next go though, just to see if dental x-rays are something they offer.

Back