• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Canceling our visit with other Cavs...for a sad reason

GraciesMom

We were set today to visit a couple of young Cavs who come from MRI tested parents, but Gracie has been showing more troubling signs that she may have an inner ear issue, SM or PSOM. Yesterday's activity was particularly noticeable. I am too tired now to get into details on what we observed but it is troubling. Will try to get video but most often happens on walks. Unlike some, she is badly trying to get at BOTH sides to scratch, not one-sided issue. And shaking head throughout the day like she is trying to clear it. She clearly dreads going out with harness or collar on. As much as I hated to do it, we cancelled our trip and am spending today getting ready for vet visit and medical waiver forms signed for insurance. I think that I just need to know for sure what we are dealing with and get on with it. If not serious then we can look for a second dog later.When I have more energy, I will post more info but just letting all know that this is why I feel so strongly now about seeking out the best breeders. And because of my initial lack of knowledge on the breed's situation, I have a sweet angel who likely has one or more of the dreaded conditions. I have suspected this in my gut for a while but still emotionally devastating when it is upon you. I will say how impressed I was when I cancelled the visit and breeder took time to share very helpful resources in USA for neurological disorders. She also told me that a dog would always be there for us...just to call. She acknowledges the reality we are facing with Cavs in the USA. More later when I have the strength...

I hope this helps sen message home...

Thanks Margaret.....not sure why a sudden show of symptoms but can't put this off

So sad to hear this - our thoughts are with you.

Please check her ears though and make sure there is nothing going on there that might be causing irritation?

Poor Gracie. So sorry to hear this Debra. I can hear the fear in your post. I'll be sending good wishes and prayers to you and Gracie. You're doing a wonderful job taking care of her right now and putting her first. Good luck and let us know how she's getting on.

Oh Gracie :(!! Are her ears pretty clean:huh:? She may just have an ear infection or something stuck in her ears. Fingers crossed for you guys:xfngr:

Debra,

I'm so sorry! I will call you in a bit. I would ask to get a referral to nc state. Since they are a vet school, you may not even need a referral. Ask to see dr. Olby. I heard some not great things from 2 people who probably saw an intern or something. My friend (on forum) recently went because her cavalier corey had surgery with dr. Shores. She had a follow up mri and I don't believe it was dr. Olby but really liked the neurologist. I will call you with details.

The reason I think you should see a neurologist is because vets are not going to know much about neurological conditions. Since you live close to nc state, I think that's your best option.

If you need me to go with you or anything, I'm here!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Actually, you may want to see vet to rule out mites, but I know you have been concerned before

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Thanks Annie!

Am doing better. I think I can get to NC State without referral. We are going to at least have a good look in her ears today at 4 pm with regular vet. This has come on fairly sudden so not sure what is up. It does seem unlikely but feel we have to rule it out first. if nothing visible then will get to neurologist. I greatly appreciate the recommendation. In reading over posts here, this seems more like PSOM but who knows???

Am doing better. I think I can get to NC State without referral. We are going to at least have a good look in her ears today at 4 pm with regular vet. This has come on fairly sudden so not sure what is up. It does seem unlikely but feel we have to rule it out first. if nothing visible then will get to neurologist. I greatly appreciate the recommendation. In reading over posts here, this seems more like PSOM but who knows???

I do hope Gracie is ok. But, if this has come on very sudden, it could be ear mites. Bobby and Belle had this before and they used to keep us up at night with their scratching and overall discomfort. We got them some drops and had a dosing routine for about two weeks I think, but t cleared up and they were happy!
We're thinking of and praying for you.:xfngr:

Well...just got home from vet

He did find a moderate ear inflammation with yeast... and yeast in eye discharge too. He Said Gracie also sounded a bit congested....and I agree. So we do have new ear cleanser and ear drop meds called Mometamax. He also wants her to take an allergy med that has prednisone in it and am not so crazy about that. It is called Temeril-P. Any thoughts on that med??Anyway...he did see a bit of her head shaking and scratching. His thoughts are to see where we are in about a week. He is familiar with SM and PSOM, but not totally. He did say he was not sure the treatments would fully address her symptoms, but give it a try. He did add that he knows a vet who has treated these conditions and would talk to him. I think he said it was Dr. Olby at NC State University. Karlin, you may want to move this to Health and Diet since we have now moved on to treatment.That is all I can report for now. Thanks for your support and knowledge.

Debra, please look up Mometamax. I fear it doesn't have the best reputation, and has some history tied to deafness. My Nash, Claire's brother (non Cav) had a history of bad ear infections for many years. All yeast. We tried it all and I wish I had known about one particular product many years ago, because I blame his nearly total deafness on some of the Meds we were on (sadly, Nash went to the bridge 2 weeks ago tomorrow, cancer, and I'm still having a hard time talking about it)Anyway, I digress. I started him on a product called Zymox. I got it from Entirely Pets. It was like a miracle. I had the best results with the one with hydrocortisone in it. Very reasonably priced too. I'll post a link in a bit. I heard about it through other friends who have used it for years.My vet now carries it. I had suggested it, and they looked into it and they love it.

Wow!!! Thank you for warning! We have not applied it yet. Will go do research now. I have gotten great stuff from Entirely Pets, including probiotics.
Debra, please look up Mometamax. I fear it doesn't have the best reputation, and has some history tied to deafness. My Nash, Claire's brother (non Cav) had a history of bad ear infections for many years. All yeast. We tried it all and I wish I had known about one particular product many years ago, because I blame his nearly total deafness on some of the Meds we were on (sadly, Nash went to the bridge 2 weeks ago tomorrow, cancer, and I'm still having a hard time talking about it)Anyway, I digress. I started him on a product called Zymox. I got it from Entirely Pets. It was like a miracle. I had the best results with the one with hydrocortisone in it. Very reasonably priced too. I'll post a link in a bit. I heard about it through other friends who have used it for years.My vet now carries it. I had suggested it, and they looked into it and they love it.

He did find a moderate ear inflammation with yeast... and yeast in eye discharge too.

By any chance do Gracies eye tears smell weird? I am a bit worried about Coco's eyes now because when they do get weepy it is clear, but smells kinda funky.

Want to apologize for my posts. Seems that these days, though I use paragraphs, and double spacing after periods at end of sentences, none show in the final posts. Thinking it has something to do with the posts being done on my IPad. But, didn't notice this issue till a couple weeks ago when upgrades were done on this website.

He also wants her to take an allergy med that has prednisone in it and am not so crazy about that. It is called Temeril-P. Any thoughts on that med?

My mom's dog has taken Temeril-P on a short term basis for itching from allergies. He has not had any ill effects. It's supposed to be a low dose of prednisone.

I hope Gracie feels better really soon.

J.

Back