• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Weight at 8 months..anyone else have a tiny cavalier?

Erin2854

Just wondering what other's dogs weigh around 8-9 months? My little Polly is a tiny girl, she is 8 1/2 months old and has been holding steady at 8lbs the last month or so. She's always been a petite puppy (runt of the litter) but is very active, healthy, playful etc. Vet said she is completely perfect and she probably wont gain more than a pound or two. Do you agree? At what age do cavalier reach their approx adult weight? I actually love her being tiny :)

Just wondering what other's dogs weigh around 8-9 months? My little Polly is a tiny girl, she is 8 1/2 months old and has been holding steady at 8lbs the last month or so. She's always been a petite puppy (runt of the litter) but is very active, healthy, playful etc. Vet said she is completely perfect and she probably wont gain more than a pound or two. Do you agree? At what age do cavalier reach their approx adult weight? I actually love her being tiny :)

Reuben is 9 months and he is 11lb and very slim like Polly, although he is 12" tall at the shoulder. We think he was the runt of the litter too, as there was only him and his sister left and she was bigger than him!

Im sure they will put a bit more weight on as they age but to tell the truth I'd rather a slimmy than a fatty!! icon_whistling

My Roxy is a very slim, petite girl. She just turned 1 and at her last appointment was 10 pounds exactly! She has a very narrow build, she's shorter than most Cav's, and just has that puppy look still. I imagine the weight may fluctuate a bit, but her build is very slight. I think because of that we'll have to be very careful to make sure she doesn't gain TOO much weight, her little structure couldn't carry it!

~Dawn

That wouldn't be all that small for that age; she may well end up bottom of the breed standard at around 12 lbs or so by adulthood, more likely a bit less, 11-12 lbs I'd guess. She should still put on a few more pounds. Growth tends to go in spurts and she's pretty unlikely to be near adult size or weight yet, especially if she was the runt as they often have little surges of growth. They are adult size by a year on average but often tend to fill out a bit still for another few months to year or so, but boys more so than girls. Often the runts will catch up to siblings by age one or so as well.

Our Abigail was about the same weight as yours at that age. Last week at vets at age 16 months she was 14 1/2 pounds.

As long as they are healthy I'm happy with the smaller size.

Heather R

I just put Charlie on the scales, he weighs a tiny 7 3/4lbs at 11months old. He may be tiny but what he lacks in size he makes up for with attitude, he is truly a huge dog in a small body & totally rules the roost here!!:p

Riley weighed about 11 pounds when we got her at close to a year. She is now 7 years old and weighs 12 pounds at the most. A very petite girl who worked her way into my heart big-time!

Our Hoopy is 25 months & is 13lbs. She has a smaller build but I love her "puppy look", or rescue on the other hand is about the same height but he weighs 24lbs! Thats just so wrong with his heart disease. We are currently working on taking some 1lbs off him!

The only thing that worries me with the slim smaller ones is do they have more chance of SM as their heads arent as wide??? :confused:

I have Jenny, a small mill rescue that just turned two in April. When I got her she weighed in just at 8 pounds. She now weighs 9 pounds 6 ounces. I don't think she will get any bigger or weigh any more. Next to her 18 pound sister, Emma, she looks like a wind-up toy.

my girl was very slight for at least the first year and half. about 13 pounds or so . over the last year she has filled out a bit and is now almost 17 pounds. she has epilepsy so is constantly hungry on her meds so we are watching her weight. I think for her frame 15 pounds would be great. she still looks pretty small. your pup just may have a small frame. as long as she is healthy that is all that matters

I just put Charlie on the scales, he weighs a tiny 7 3/4lbs at 11months old. He may be tiny but what he lacks in size he makes up for with attitude, he is truly a huge dog in a small body & totally rules the roost here!!:p

haha our Charlie is exactly the same, he is the boss of Sam eventhough Sam is twice the size of him!!

Back