• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

episodes of falling

mld

My CKC has been having these falling episodes, they started about a year ago and are now becoming more frequent (several times a week).
Can anyone shed some light on this for me and why this is happening.
Thanks
Michele

So sorry to hear about your Cavalier Michele :( Pleased that you found the forum and hopefully we can help you.

Please have a look at this website http://episodicfalling.com/ especially the videos and see if you think this is similar to your own Cavalier's problems.

There are of course other alternative conditions, such as heart arrhythmia, seizures etc but presumably these avenues have already been investigated?

You can have a genetic test to find out if it is episodic falling - through the Animal Health Trust at Newmarket.

If the type of falling meets the symptoms of the Episodic Falling Syndrome, then this webpage summarizes the disorder and how it is treated:
http://cavalierhealth.org/episodic_falling.htm

Yes, this is exactly what she does. It seems to happen mostly when she is going up and down the stairs.
This September, I had her in for teeth cleaning and the doctor noticed a heart murmur, she did some tests and then contacted a cardiologist at the University. We went ahead with the cleaning and then brought her to another province to the vet school to run more test. The cardiologist said that she has Mitral Heart Valve Disease and also has an enlarged heart. I told her about these falling episodes and she had no idea what it could be, I thought it was epilepsy, but she explained that with epilepsy she would not be aware of what is going on around her. She is eight years old and my life, will this shorten her life with me?

Brian M;
Molly's episodes are just like Penny's! So I can get a test done for this, I hope it's available in Canada. I will try to take a video with my camera.
This usually happens when she is going up stairs, but this morning it happened when I was coming out of the shower and my husband had closed the door. Usually I let her in the bathroom with me when I'm in the shower, she likes to be with me at all times. She is like my shadow, I don't know what I would do without her, she's 8 years old.
She was diagnosed with Mitral Heat Valve disorder las september, I was taking her in for teeth cleaning and the vet noticed a murmur so she sent us to the cardiologist in another province. She went through tests and thats when she was diagnosed with Mitral Heart Valve disorder and a slightly enlarged heart. I mentioned to the vet about these episodes, I thought that she was having a stroke or epilepsy she didn't think that this was the case. I wonder if it's not as well known her in Canada. I will contact my vet and hopefully be able to take a video of it to show her what I'm trying to explain to her.

Thanks so much
Michele

You get the kit for the test directly from the UK and return it there but your vet could undoubtedly help with this.

However -- dogs with advanced heart disease also can have collapsing episodes. This would look quite like an EFS episode as they often remain aware but fall over and slowly recover. So it would be good to discuss with a cardiologist as well as having the EFS DNS test (which would be conclusive). It would really be advisable to see a cardiologist for a dog with a murmur anyway. (y)

Back