• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

New UK Study of CKCS with CM shows brain too big for its caudal fossa

I do know that there are very few B&Ts or rubies scanning well and finding suitable mates has been a challenge for wholecolour breeders. If more wholecolours were scanning I am sure many more would turn up; the breed desperately needs more scanned in these colours...

On head shapes -- Dr Rusbridge has addressed this a few times in Q&As and I've discussed with her before directly as well-- she definitely says size of head is not a determining factor nor is length of nose nor is size of cavalier as to preponderance of SM. What the research work in this article is showing is that internal area for the skull is a determining factor but this may not correlate at all to outer shape, it is an internal skull measurement for volume. A very experienced person who has looked at hundreds of cavalier heads and MRI scans and skull xrays could likely pick out a likely 'good' skull externally but this would be very hard without shaving the dog! I know one researcher has said people misjudge heads all the time because of the position of ears or the way the head is being held and see shapes the skull doesn't have.

However as miniaturising dogs does seem to be one factor in the appearance of SM it would seem that simply being a toy breed is an issue.

New UK Study of CKCS Shows Brain Too Big for it's Caudal Fossa.

Will this Study still not mean that all Cavalier Breeding Stock should be being MRI Scanned for SM.

If it's the Internal Head-Room that's too small for the Brain ,then it's only by MRI Scanning this will be discovered.

So does it follow on ,that Cavaliers with the Bigger Type of Head ,can still have Smaller Internal Head Room.?

I'm thinking as I am Posting this, what it seems to boil down to is the Internal Head Room,is that right.

Hopefully some-body will see this and give their thoughts.

Have other Small Breeds of Dogs also got Internal Head Room that's too Small.?

If it's only the Cavalier Breed ,how has this happened.?

New UK Study of CKCS Shows Brain too Big for it's Caudal Fossa

Sorry forgot to sign my above Post.

This Study is sure giving Food for Thought.

Bet(Hargreaves)

I have often wondered about this, as my Sophie has SM and has a small head, much smaller than our previous Cav that lived to be 14.

Bet asked: 'Have other Small Breeds of Dogs also got Internal Head Room that's too Small.?' Clare Rusbridge says on her website that the only other breed with significant numbers of dogs with SM (though still small in comparison to Cavaliers) is the Griffon Bruxellois, which of course has a small and very rounded skull. Other breeds (including King Charles Spaniels) have isolated cases which don't warrant scientific investigation. If you haven't discovered her website, Bet, do have a look - www.veterinary-neurologist.co.uk - it has excellent information about SM - but I expect you know it already.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Bet asked: 'Have other Small Breeds of Dogs also got Internal Head Room that's too Small.?' Clare Rusbridge says on her website that the only other breed with significant numbers of dogs with SM (though still small in comparison to Cavaliers) is the Griffon Bruxellois, which of course has a small and very rounded skull. Other breeds (including King Charles Spaniels) have isolated cases which don't warrant scientific investigation. If you haven't discovered her website, Bet, do have a look - www.veterinary-neurologist.co.uk - it has excellent information about SM - but I expect you know it already.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

i love that breed as well

Back