• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

new here, question about MVD/ruptured tendinae

LisaT

I have been reading your forum off and on, some of the information on Caveliers and MVD is about the best that can be found on the web. My 12 year old girl is a rat terrier/GSD mix:
INDYkarinanddaveHR.jpg

Indy's heart murmur instantaneously went from a grade 2 to a grade 4 when she experienced a rupture tendinae, maybe about 8 months ago. Her regular vet said that Indy is the only living dog she has known with such a rupture (the others all died quickly after), though the cardiologist of course has much more experience. Her cardiologist put her on Enalapril.

Just curious if there are any other dogs out there with such a rupture, or owners that had dogs go through this. I know that down the road, we are either looking at CHF or pretty much instant death :( , but for now, Indy is happy and barky. Although not in CHF, she is losing muscle mass at a rate that's a bit concerning, and she cannot tolerate fish oil, which I understand is supposed to be the best thing for that condition.

I'm also concerned with exercise level, how much is too much, and any tips on managing the disease process in general, trying to make sure that I'm not missing anything. I've read everything that I could get my hands on about this. Indy has been on a homecooked diet for years, and on a variety of supplements. She tends to have low blood pressure with a very low heartrate, don't know if anyone else has experienced that.

Anyway, just thought I would come out of lurk mode and introduce myself :D

Welcome! I am sorry to hear about Indy -- what a pretty girl :). We have a couple of very experienced folks here on heart issues so I am sure you will get some suggestions.

I would think minimal exercise -- also there's a good post in the Library section on hearts from Pat (who probably will see this) and that includes some supplement suggestions that wouldn't be fish oils.

I have been down this same route with a ruby cavalier and it was around the same age that it happened. I was staggered when my vet showed me it on ultrasound, it looked like a kite flapping about.
Teddy also had bad arthritis so exercise was limited anyway plus he was on all the usual heart drugs. He lived until he was fourteen years and it was his kidneys that failed at the end.
Indy looks a super girl.

Thank you Karlin.

I think your library here was one of the first sources of helpful info that I found when I was googling :) I found the library article:
http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=9214

She has already been on the supplements mentioned in the article, though I did up the CoQ-10 and switch to a form that is supposed to be better absorbed. Guess I've always been able to find something that works miracles, but I don't think that's gonna happen here.

Thank you Ruth, she is a great girl, my heart dog.

Very encouraging that your boy lived with this for so long, I'm very happy to hear this!

Was it the meds that contributed to the kidney issues? I know that Enalapril is supposed to be tough on the kidneys, and right now she has a slightly elevated BUN and creatinine at the high end of normal. Seems like a tough call - from the articles, these dogs have higher protein requirements, but the drugs are also tougher on their kidneys. I know that fish oil is kidney protective, but she can't take fish oil.

It makes me wonder....doesn't it tickle with that thing flailing about in there:lpy:

Golly, I've GOT to update that info as I wrote it five years ago! Some of the info is dated and there is new info to add.

Lisa - I'll write again in an hour or so (working on a work project) but there is a yahoo group on canine heart disease (multiple breed) that I think will be helpful to you.

And yes, the fish oil does tickle.

Lastly - A GSD/RAT TERRIER MIX??? How the heck did that happen? I can't get the visual out of my mind!!!

More soon,

Pat

Lastly - A GSD/RAT TERRIER MIX??? How the heck did that happen? I can't get the visual out of my mind!!!

Thanks Pat!

I looked for a yahoo group, but didn't find one, I'll go search again.

LOL, I've thought about that rat terrier/GSD thing too.....how the heck????

Back