• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Sleeping in Puppia Harness okay?

hbmama

I am home all day with Dottie and I only put her Puppia Harness on when we go for walks or rides in the car. (The collar goes on in the morning but she doesn't sleep in it because the jingles make me crazy when we are trying to sleep.)

We are going to be traveling with her later this year and will crate her by the bed at the ranch, as we do at home. If she needs to go out at night it would be so much easier to leave the harness on so we can just clip the lead and head out the door.

The question is, is it okay to leave a puppia on to sleep in at night while the dog is crated by the bed. Hers fits just right and she seems very comfortable in it. (A medium/she is 16 lbs.) Anyone???

my dogs slept in their puppia harnesses last night :oops: Something about a late night walk combined with physical exhaustion, I just didn't take them off :p They were in the bed with me though.

One thing I do notice though, is that if you leave the puppia on for extended amounts of time, you have to watch out for mats underneath the armpits :mad:

Have fun on your vacation!

Not adviseable though to leave them on deliberately for long periods or overnight -- they can get a leg through them the wrong way and if a harness gets caught and the dog struggles they could injure themselves in a crate.

Puppias (at least with my crew) also start to take the hair off their chest if left on for long periods because they rub in quite a large swathe -- of all the harnesses I use they seem to do this more than others. I used to leave the harnesses on because I was home with mine all day, but stopped when I realised they were rubbing off whole areas of hair from their chests. Now the harnesses only go on for walks.

Have noticed when i take the puppia of there does be a awful lot of hair

Now that you say it I have noticed a HUGE amount of hair on the inside of our puppia's too. I presumed it was just from molting, as mine shed an awful lot..

Molly hurt her ribs/side from sleeping in her puppia. I think it must have been the buckle pressing into her side and she was quite sore for a few days after that so I never leave them in their puppias for any longer than I have to ;)

Puppias or any other harness, if left on for long periods will matt the fur on the dogs chest. Minnie (especially) gets matts if I forget to brush her for even a day. Cara has a completely different coat and it doesn't happen to her as much.

I only put on the dogs harnesses when we are going out :)

Thanks for the responses....I was away for a few days and am just catching up on the threads. Alot of good thoughts here. I have never left it on except for walks so hopefully she will just sleep through the night and we won't have to fumble around with it getting it on at 3am!

She is crated next to the bed so we always know when she has to get up and go. I may also look for a harness that is easier to get into quickly.

Back