• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

what do you think??

tanztanya

I'm thinking about getting another Cavalier as it's been too quiet around the house since Cookie passed away and I know we can give another dog such a happy home. I called up my regional puppy register coordinator to ask a few questions and as I am away for two weeks in July she said it was worth calling back when I get back. So I shall do that pretty much the day I get back from holiday haha ...very exciting!!

I was just googling Cavalier breeders (just to look and no intent to use one) and was shocked to find on one site a description of the health problems in the Cavvies...

"Much is said about health problems with Cavaliers and vets seem intent on causing owners to panic unnecessarily. Many, not all, do suffer from mitral valve disease at some time in their life, but most do seem to cope well and live a happy life to 13+ years. The latest health scare is Syringomyelia little is still known about the numbers affected, but it would appear to be low. Most Cavaliers are healthy and give you years of love, fun and companionship."

I find that VERY misleading! To be registered with the kennel club do you need to do MRI's for SM? All of her Cav's are Kennel Club registered.

Sadly many breeders are still in denial :(

Currently you do not need to do ANY health tests for Cavaliers to register the puppies with the Kennel Club. The Cavalier Club have breeding protocols but these are not enforced - it really is a case of the buyer needs to be aware of which tests need to be carried out, and ask to see certificates to prove that this has been done.

Have a look at this section for general advice

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?38-Buying-and-preparing-for-a-cavalier

Also at Tania's lovely site http://cavaliermatters.org/

Are you only looking for a puppy or possibly considering an older Cavalier - either rescue or rehome from a breeder?

Well I don't really mind if I got a puppy or a rescue.

I've never had a puppy before and I've got enough time to train etc so am looking into that, but to be honest when I get back from holiday I will probably call around regarding both.

I found Cookie's Generation of Pedigree chart and googled some of the names and its really suprising how many puppies have come from the same line. She had Ricksbury and Newroyds in her liniage and there are SOOO many pictures of ancestors online. Some of those breeders are registered with the kennel club and check for SM so I might get in touch with those too.

Keep in mind for your search that those listed on the club site as having done MRIs have only done just that -- for one reason or another, they have done an MRI --it doesn't mean such people are health conscious, had any good results, or use that information from their scans in any constructive way. The actual results for scans are not listed as they once were ... :rolleyes:

Scanning and removing unsuitable dogs from a responsible breeding programme also makes for a more costly breeding programme and a caring buyer seeking health-focused breeders should expect healthful breeding to be reflected in some added cost for puppies. (y)

If you are looking for SM scanning breeders who use this information as part of a comprehensive breeding programme, I'd PM Nicki or Margaret C :). Margaret is on holiday at the moment however so you may not get an immediate response.

but most do seem to cope well and live a happy life to 13+ years

What?! How many cavaliers does anyone know here who have lived to 13+? Sadly, those are definitely the exceptional dogs. And how pathetic that they would say that most SEEM TO COPE WELL. :) What a low standard to set for this breed -- that it should cope with a widespread health issue rather that not have the issue in the first place. That shows just how low some breeders' expectations are of this breed and how low they think ours should be. I wonder how they define 'many' and 'not all' -- given that about 99% will be part of that 'many' by the time dogs are aged 10. Either they have a unique concept of 'many' (and are confusing that word with 'most' or 'almost all') or are being deliberately misleading. I guess the remaining 1% without MVD could be considered 'not all'... good grief. This kind of misleading crap --which gives truly health-focused breeders a doubly hard time s it discounts all that they work toward -- is why buyers need to read information very carefully, know their facts, question breeders on their real results, and know to avoid someone spinning wishful fairy tales.

Well I don't really mind if I got a puppy or a rescue.

I've never had a puppy before and I've got enough time to train etc so am looking into that, but to be honest when I get back from holiday I will probably call around regarding both.

There are a lot of Cavaliers in rescue desperate for a loving home. We got Dotty who is an ex puppy farm dog, despite her appaling life she is still loving and has all the characteristics of a typical Cavalier. If you have the time, these dogs need as much if not more training than a puppy.

There is also some good advice on Carol Fowlers website if you decide to go the puppy route. http://www.cavaliercampaign.com/buying-puppy.htm

Whatever you decide, I wish you well.:p

What do you think?

There are a lot of Cavaliers in rescue desperate for a loving home. We got Dotty who is an ex puppy farm dog, despite her appaling life she is still loving and has all the characteristics of a typical Cavalier. If you have the time, these dogs need as much if not more training than a puppy.

There is also some good advice on Carol Fowlers website if you decide to go the puppy route. http://www.cavaliercampaign.com/buying-puppy.htm

Whatever you decide, I wish you well.:p

What DO YOU THINK?

I have just read the latest Chatterbox Column from Norma Inglis.,and I think this could be linked to thia Thread.

The Heading is

What Makes a Good Committee Member.

When it is read ,I think it says it all !!!

Not one mention about the Health of our Cavalier Breed.

Is this what the UK CKCS CLUB Committee is now reduced to?

I won't go through all the details of what being a Good CKCS COMMITTEE Member means , but for me and I am sure for other Cavalier Pet Owners , the first objective of being a UK CKCS CLUB Member would be first and foremost the Health of the Breed.

It was so sad to read in the Article about Egos being constantly stoked ahead of a personal Agenda , a UK CKCS Committee Member has to be able to control his or her Emotions and Personal Desires.

There is more on the same vein, I am so glad I have no part of the UK CKCS CLUB now, I had always believed that the Committee could be depended on to do the best for our Cherished Cavaliers with the Health Problems afflicting them , but when this is the Attitude of what is now expected of the CKCS CLUB COMMITTEE,that the Cavalier Health Problems seem to be of no consequence,what was said by the previous Chairman of the UK CKCS CLUB ,that

MANY CKCS BREEDERS STILL DO NOT TEST.THERE ARE MANY MEMBERS WHO ARE STILL NOT PREPARED TO HEALTH CHECK THEIR BREEDING STOCK,AND OF THOSE WHO DO ,IT WOULD APPEAR THAT MANY WOULD NOT HESITATE TO BREED FROM AFFECTED ANIMALS has not been so far off the mark after all.!

Is because of what Norma Ingls has said, the Cavalier Club is now on a Down Ward Spiral,and the Cavalier Health Problems are to be being swept under the carpet.?

It certainly looks as if the Cavaliers' Health Problems are now of no concern to UK CKCS CLUB COMMITTEE.

What a Sad Day for our Breed.

Bet

That is very misleading. I know that my Phoebe lived to 13 but I'd say she was a very rare exception to the rule. I was very lucky with Phoebe because I got her from a friend so I knew that it was someone I could trust. However, when I eventually do get another pup, I will be asking for MRI scans and Cardiologist reports on both parents. I'm sure a responsible breeder would be only too happy to provide all the necessary details and would tell you the truth. And the best of luck in your search.

There are a lot of Cavaliers in rescue desperate for a loving home.

We are leaning towards getting a rescue rather than a puppy. I'm keeping an eye on the boards here and am going to contact the local cavalier rescue place when I get back from holiday mid july.

My dad was saying that he wouldn't want to pay hundreds and hundreds of pounds for a cavalier puppy who could easily find a home when there would be a homeless cavalier who needed us somewhere.... so obviously thats tugged the heart strings!

I think it's shocking that some breeders get away with breeding and not having all the pups checked... then are ignorant to the health issues saying it's 'unnecessary panic'.

My dad was saying that he wouldn't want to pay hundreds and hundreds of pounds for a cavalier puppy who could easily find a home when there would be a homeless cavalier who needed us somewhere.... so obviously thats tugged the heart strings!

Your Dad is very sensible.:)

What Do You Think

We are leaning towards getting a rescue rather than a puppy. I'm keeping an eye on the boards here and am going to contact the local cavalier rescue place when I get back from holiday mid july.

I think it's shocking that some breeders get away with breeding and not having all the pups checked... then are ignorant to the health issues saying it's 'unnecessary panic'.

What DO YOU THINK

Having re-read Norma Inglis' Chatterbox Comments again, where she says what makes a Good UK CKCS CLUB COMMITTEE Member, with noticably no mention that they should have the concerns of the Health of the Cavalier Breed.

I have now read the Health Report given at the Recent UK CKCS CLUB'S AGM on Saturday,there was mention that the Club's Puppy Register now requires Both Parents to have Heart and Eye Certificates before a Litter can be Listed,it would be interesting to know how many Cavalier Litters are now on the Puppy Register.

Also what is so diappointing to have read is that, 3,000 Cavaliers have now been MRI Scanned, but the Animal Health Trust has been given very few results.

Instead of Norma Inglis saying what makes a Good CKCS Committee Member,which did not mention them having a regard for Health Troubles in the Cavalier Breed, I would have thought the Priority would have been for making a Good CKCS Committee Member in assisting those MRI Scans to be being sent to the AHT since they are of such importance with the EBV Research.

Bet

Hi Tanztanya,

My first Cavalier Rudee lived to 12 tears and 9 months. She was on Vetmedin and furosemide from age 5 onwards.

Taking on a rescue is a totally different journey and one I would recommend whole heartedly . It's all the little things that happen , that you don't expect from a rescue; like playing with a toy for the first time or walking proudly and confidently up to a stranger ........................ exhilarating moments!!! I can honestly say, with my hand on my heart, that taking a rescue Cavalier into your home has got to be one of the most rewarding experiences ever.

Whatever you decide , I wish you and your (soon to be) new charge the very best :flwr:

Last edited:
I find it absolutely disgusting that anyone would make that misleading of a statement about Cavalier health. That's just so incredibly sad.

On another note....I think it would be wonderful for you to get another dog. You were so good to Cookie, I just think of how much love you have to share with another dog. Good luck on finding your next compansion. Wishing you tons of luck.

Back