• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Vomit/Poop Question*****GROSS WARNING****

MomObvious

This morning Fletcher vomited his food (it was not a lot maybe 2 teaspoons) it was light brown goo and his kibble, was easy to clean up. Anyway, he was acting like his normal little self so I decided whatever....he played this morning went for a nice walk, came back and napped in his crate for a bit......nothing out of the normal. He ate all his lunch rather well, sometimes he doesn't finish his bowl and is always slower about eating a lunch time (I give him 25 mins then I pick up the bowl) I took him out to potty after lunch, he peed and pooped like normal. Then after a little play time he was doing the old sniff around thing so back outside we go he pooped and it looked like there was poop hanging outta his hind.....ok weird, so I ran in to get a paper towel thinking ok why am I needing to wipe the puppy's hind? Well, turns out it was a piece of string...like 7 inches long looks kinda like a piece of thick brown (yes I hosed it off and looked) string it is fabric! What the heck??? So then I started thinking what did he eat? Yesterday, I did leave him at my parents house, they have a brown loop rug in front of their kitchen sink. I called my Mom she said yes Fletcher was dragging it around the house so she picked it up.

After a good back end bath, Fletcher's anus is a little swollen and pink, not red no blood. He is acting normal, drink water, playing he is butt scooting a little tho. His tummy is normal no bloating. Honestly, I'm really hoping he eats dinner and has a normal poop after. IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE I NEED TO WATCH FOR?????????????????????

If his doesn't have a normal poop this evening what should I do? Worry some more???

Thanks,
Melissa

I'd call your vet in the morning just to be safe. String or pieces of fabric etc can be really dangerous -- they can obstruct the bowel or wind around the intestines. If he looks *at all* out of sorts before then, call an emergency vet as in such a case, time can be critical for survival. And he will need to be kept away from that rug or anything he can shred, unravel, etc. Some dogs get a habit of eating string, cloth and so on and it is really, really dangerous -- can require emergency surgery to remove to try to save the animal.

PS partial obstruction symptoms are diarrhea and/or vomiting so really, it would be a good idea to talk to your vet first thing in the morning to see if they feel you should come in (but watch for any sign of anything more severe as noted below in which case, call an emergency vet). Most of these things do pass through OK.

More info:

http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/intestinal-obstruction-and-gastrointestinal-foreign-bodies-in-dogs

http://alexadry.hubpages.com/hub/Symptoms-of-intestinal-blockage-in-dogs

Fletcher was fine all night, I checked on him often. He ate his normal breakfast and poop was normal this morning too. Now he's doing the puppy morning craziness thing. I will call the vet's office when they open this morning just to chat this over with my vet. I think/hope this is our "warning" puppy's do eat things...my house is pretty puppy proof (I don't even have carpet in the living area- gave that up when I had kids) and everything else is locked, tied up or puppy/kid proofed AND we keep him in this "area" when we aren't watching him. But at my parents he has the run of the house like all the grown dogs...

I will update after I talk to the vet, thank you for the advice, I don't know what I'd do without CT:)

Melissa

:updte: thanks again. I did call the vet she thinks he's alright especially since he is eating and pooping normal now and since yesterday evening. But let me tell you I feel like that was a close call.... I didn't realize how quickly eating something they shouldn't was SO deadly. Sure I know about poisonous plants and wires but a piece of a throw rug!!! No wonder all the good training books etc. say to use closed comfinement when you can't watch them fully.

I think next time Fletcher goes to my parents for puppy sitting I'm going to bring his pack and play I use at work for when they aren't 100% watching him also my parents also agree they will pick up the throw rugs when he's there. My mother feel awful about the whole thing but I told her well he's a puppy they do dumb things, at least he's alright and we have a plan for next time.

Melissa

Glad he is OK! :D Puppies can be particularly bad at eating things that they shouldn't -- my partner's alsatian had to have emergency surgery as a puppy for a blockage because he ate some gravel in the front drive. :yikes String can be really dangerous -- and people don't realise it; you can find lots of videos on YouTube where people think it's really funny that their dog has eaten/is pooping string. :( Most of the time things do fortunately go through but when there are problems they can be real emergencies where time is of the essence; the intestine can go necrotic if something winds around it.

If people cannot watch him at all times at your parents, it might be worth investing in a puppy pen (xpen) or them to use. I often use just two panel of an xpen to block a doorway for example rather than having a baby gate up all the time. My xpen gets used all the time -- two panels are permanently in the kitchen to block off an area for Tansy and Lily when I go out as tansy (puppy farm dog) will never be fully housetrainedand can't be left loose (lily goes in for company :) ).

you can find lots of videos on YouTube where people think it's really funny that their dog has eaten/is pooping string. :(

Seriously, there are some weird people posting on YouTube then........don't worry I'll take your word for it.

Thanks again,
Melissa

Glad to hear all is good. Ha! The poop inspection, I think we all do it at some stage with our four legged children.

Oh my!! My dog has done this 3 times!!!
once my string on my pj's. it all came out!!
second was string off her toys!! all came out!!
third was my floor rug that she pulled apart!!! all came out!!
same thing happened pooed heaps and had swollen bottom.
vet instructed me to feed to her again to push it all through!!!
its scary and i now do not allow anything stringy in my house!!! you think you have everything out of reach but obviously not!!!
like toddlers!!!
glad all is ok :)

Back