• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Question for the US members

My Henry Boy

We haven't gotten Henry any pet insurance as of yet. And I would really like to do that before we need it and are kicking ourselves for not doing it. We had a policy with VPI for our boxer and I was sadly disappointed with the way that they paid.
What companies do the US folks seem to like and go with. And what deductibles do you have.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :thnx:

When I was first looking for different pet insurance, Lani (another member on the forum) provided me with the link petinsuranceuniversity.com. This is a great link that compares a lot of the big insurances and helps you be able to see what each do or don't provide. I was a little overwhelmed when I first was seeking out which company to go with, but this site was very helpful. I ended up going with Pet Plan because for what I was looking for this best fit my needs. Trupanion seems to have really good coverage too and they have a shorter waiting period for patellas. Their waiting period is 30 days for any illness where Pet Plan has a waiting period of 14 days for illness, but 6 months for patella defects.

Hope this helps you be able to choose the right plan for you! :)

Just a FYI, VPI provides limited coverage for hereditary and congenital conditions and I do NOT think SM or MVD are covered from what I have heard and read.

Just a FYI, VPI provides limited coverage for hereditary and congenital conditions and I do NOT think SM or MVD are covered from what I have heard and read.

I think I remember reading that, when I was researching insurance plans for Sophie. That is why we went with Pet Plan. I also think the owners/founders of Pet Plan own a Cavalier(s).

I think I remember reading that, when I was researching insurance plans for Sophie. That is why we went with Pet Plan. I also think the owners/founders of Pet Plan own a Cavalier(s).

Yes! The owners do own a cavalier. The people told me that when I signed up. I liked how they were very personable on the phone.

I did what ashleighelizabeth did and found a site that told me all the plans that served my zip code. I went to each Insurer's site and compared all the costs, deductibles, etc., and I also ended up with PetPlan. Haven't submitted any claims yet but I've heard mostly good things about their speed, etc.

PS. what I like most was that once you are covered by them and have passed the brief waiting period, any condition found is covered for the pets lifetime as long as you keep the insurance current. I paid for a full year in a lump sum for a small discount.

I went with Pet Plan because my vet told me to. She said she has it for her dogs, and highly recommended it especially for heredity issues, which as we all know are numerous in our cavaliers. She being a vet got a dog who ended up with a serious heredity condition and did not have insurance, she says even with her own free labor it cost her a fortune to care for that dog. She told me she would never not have insurance herself for her animals. I was SOLD and got the same plan she carries before I even pick Fletcher up. I paid the whole first year up front so I can't tell you what the monthly payments are.

Melissa

From all I have read... seems that if you are wanting a good insurance Pet Plan would be one of the best. Does anyone know if they have a deductible though?
My husband and I sort of decided to go a different route with it all. I hope we will not be sorry we chose to do this rather than the insurance. But ( since Wrigley is still quite young) we are putting money aside each week into an account set up specifically for him. This will cover any medical expenses.
And... should he stay healthy & not need anything majorly expensive ( that is my prayer ) then the money will be there all saved for something else.

Shari...
From googling some info...found there are 3 different policies available thru Pet Plan. All you do is put in the information asked ( what breed & the age of dog) and what amount deductible you want...how much re-imbursement ( 80% to 100%). It then calculates what your monthly premium will be. Looks to be around 32.50 for the bronze plan on up+.
Not bad actually.
And as stated..it does cover SM or MVD, etc. that Cavalier's are prone to.
What I couldn't find ( and would want to call them to ask?) is if the premium stated is locked in and will never change according to age or condition.
I think I am going to talk to my husband about perhaps changing our original plan ( w/ the savings account)..and going this way instead. May research it a tad bit more first.

Thats a good question Diane on whether you are locked in for the premium you get as a puppy. Let me kn

Shari...
From googling some info...found there are 3 different policies available thru Pet Plan. All you do is put in the information asked ( what breed & the age of dog) and what amount deductible you want...how much re-imbursement ( 80% to 100%). It then calculates what your monthly premium will be. Looks to be around 32.50 for the bronze plan on up+.
Not bad actually.
And as stated..it does cover SM or MVD, etc. that Cavalier's are prone to.
What I couldn't find ( and would want to call them to ask?) is if the premium stated is locked in and will never change according to age or condition.
I think I am going to talk to my husband about perhaps changing our original plan ( w/ the savings account)..and going this way instead. May research it a tad bit more first.

Sophie's Pet Plan has renewed a couple of times since I bought it. Each time, there was a small increase. There would have to be, just like health insurance for humans. Costs rise, etc. and return on investments in the market (where our premiums are placed so there's enough money to pay the bills) are not that great in the current economy. I doubt any insurance company would lock in a premium price for life.

Sophie's Pet Plan has renewed a couple of times since I bought it. Each time, there was a small increase. There would have to be, just like health insurance for humans. Costs rise, etc. and return on investments in the market (where our premiums are placed so there's enough money to pay the bills) are not that great in the current economy. I doubt any insurance company would lock in a premium price for life.

I understand...yeah..your'e right. I would hope that they wouldn't double the premium should there be a condition arise they are paying for though.
Do you have Pet plan as well? Are you happy w/ it? Was there any waiting time ( say a month) before the insurance was effective..or is it effective immediately?
I have talked with my husband..and from all I have read...thinking this might be the best way to go for us. The saving account was fine..but this sounds better.

Diane, with Pet Plan there is a 24 hour waiting period for accident, a 14 day waiting period for illness and a 6 month waiting period for patella defects.

I understand...yeah..your'e right. I would hope that they wouldn't double the premium should there be a condition arise they are paying for though.
Do you have Pet plan as well? Are you happy w/ it? Was there any waiting time ( say a month) before the insurance was effective..or is it effective immediately?
I have talked with my husband..and from all I have read...thinking this might be the best way to go for us. The saving account was fine..but this sounds better.

We haven't gotten Henry any pet insurance as of yet. And I would really like to do that before we need it and are kicking ourselves for not doing it. We had a policy with VPI for our boxer and I was sadly disappointed with the way that they paid.
What companies do the US folks seem to like and go with. And what deductibles do you have.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :thnx:

Shari... Just wanted to thank you for bringing this insurance question to the forum again. It made my husband and I re-think our decision of changing from just a savings account to actual insurance.
After reading all the information & ( FAQ's) section of Pet Plan...we signed up for insurance for Wrigley today through them. We chose the Bronze plan..with a $100. deductible..and 90% reimbursement. It looked like it would cover enough for our needs. I am not sure if age is taken into consideration with their quote...(but that question was asked)..and since Wrigley is only 8 mo's...our premium will be only 33.00 @ month.
Our Vet prefers this insurance..so I feel it has a fairly good reputation for quick results.
Not that I am ready to place any claim...but if and when I do..hoping there are no problems.

Back