• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

The cavalier out door show scene

Bet

Just noticed a Photo of an Out Door Cavalier Show where so many of the Cavaliers were in Cages and Covered by Blankets.

Is this the Best way for Cavaliers to be spending their Day since it just been announced in a German Study that Cavaliers are a BRACHCEPHALIC Breed

That this is an Inherited Condition in our Cavalier Breed,that Cavaliers are Pre-disposed to it ,due to the Comparative Short Length of the Cavaliers' Head and Compressed Upper Jaw.

Because of this condition ,the Head's Soft Tissue are not Proportionate to the Shortened Nature of the Skull ,and the Excess Tissues tend to increase Resistance to the Flow of Air through the Upper Airway, Nostrils,Sinuses.Pharynx,and Larynx.

Would we Cavalier Pet Owners Subject our 4 Legged Cavalier Friends to a day being Shut in a Cage and Covered with a Blanket.

I THINK NOT!!!

Bet

Morning Bet!
After a very long Bank holiday weekend your post about being covered with a blanket in a crate has made me yearn for my bed!
In fact I couldn't imagine anything more idyllic for myself...never mind a cavalier.:p
and if anyone tried to haul me out,I'd snap the hand off them.:badgrin:.
Most cavaliers have a daily routine and if they sleep at home between 10 and 12 like mine do,then they'll happily snooze in a crate at a show.

Sins

Last edited:
The cavalier out door show

Morning Bet!
After a very long Bank holiday weekend your post about being covered with a blanket in a crate has made me yearn for my bed!
In fact I couldn't imagine anything more idyllic for myself...never mind a cavalier.:p
and if anyone tried to haul me out,I'd snap the hand off them.:badgrin:.
Most cavaliers have a daily routine and if they sleep at home between 10 and 12 like mine do,then they'll happily snooze in a crate at a show.

Sins

THE CAVALIER OUT DOOR SHOW

If I could answer Sins,

We had been to a Cavalier Show here in Scotland, with all the Gear ,Cages etc, called in at a Scottish Club Party for Cavaliers ,saw all the Cavaliers owned by Cavalier Pet owners ,sitting on their Owner's Knees ,not a Cage in sight, looked over to our Katie Jnr, saw her wee Face looking at us through the Cage , and thought the Show Scene is not for us or our Beloved Cavaliers.

Put Katie Jnr on my Knee like all the other Cavaliers .

We never were at another Cavalier Show.

Bet.

PS, Becky our B/T was at Crufts.

On Easter Monday I worked both my boys at an outdoor obedience show, then scoreboarded for a friend who was judging for the rest of the day. It was hot, sunny and windy. My two spent most of their day in their pop-up fabric crate, which is greyish-silver in colour, which I think reflects the sunlight, and has a black mesh front and strips of mesh along either side. Although the crate was next to my table and partly in the sun, Oliver and Aled stayed really cool all day. They had a short walk at lunchtime (with Oliver in his sun hat to guard against his light phobia), but otherwise snoozed contentedly.

Their fabric crate looks as if it should be hot and stuffy, but actually the most important thing for dogs (especially bracycephalic breeds) in hot weather is to keep them out of the (not very) fresh and hot air and keep the sun off them - which is why people cover their crates with a blanket or reflective material. If the sun is excluded, the darkness within the crate is actually pretty cool - as I keep my house cool by drawing the curtains to keep the sun out. My two in their crate were certainly better off than the dogs who were sitting around on the grass with their owners. And Oliver can get a headache even sitting in the shade if he is looking out at strong sunlight. So perhaps don't jump to conclusions too quickly?

Kate, Oliver and Aled

But Bet,
Dog showing isn't all about Crates and Crufts!
I can understand if you don't like the hobby of showing dogs and you have your reasons which you're perfectly entitled to.
It's not just to take your dog to compete,but to enjoy the overall spectacle of beautiful, well turned out dogs being shown with pride by their owners.
Of course there are a few bad eggs or people who haven't a clue what shampoo and water is for,but mostly it's a very sporting occasion.
I don't think there's anything unacceptable or unethical in showing dogs and it poses very little risk to the dogs themselves.It's not exactly greyhound racing?
Sins

The constant negative and critical posts really irk me....I don't normally respond (in fact, don't normally even read them) but this one caught my eye and I couldn't help myself. I don't show, we don't compete in anything but we do take the dogs to numerous outdoor events (dog related and non-dog related) with us. We have a crate.....not a blanket covered crate....but a crate with sides nevertheless. The crate gives them a secure place to relax, there is the ability for air to circulate, and the top keeps the sun off their heads. The dogs spend some time in the crate together, we take them for walks around, we sometimes have all 3 on our laps between the two of us. I don't consider this cruel, they seem to enjoy going to outings with us and it's just not realistic to spend an entire event with 3 dogs on my lap....but I would rather have them with us at social events than sitting inside a closed up house with no outside stimualtion all day.....so we do what we do.

You may not want to attend any of the Cavalier social events I go to because you'll see crates all over the place. They are a place for the dogs to get a little down time, rest up a bit and then come back out and join the party again. In fact, if I leave the crate door open inevitably one of my dogs will go in for a little laydown time.

But Bet,
Dog showing isn't all about Crates and Crufts!
I can understand if you don't like the hobby of showing dogs and you have your reasons which you're perfectly entitled to.
It's not just to take your dog to compete,but to enjoy the overall spectacle of beautiful, well turned out dogs being shown with pride by their owners.
Of course there are a few bad eggs or people who haven't a clue what shampoo and water is for,but mostly it's a very sporting occasion.
I don't think there's anything unacceptable or unethical in showing dogs and it poses very little risk to the dogs themselves.It's not exactly greyhound racing?
Sins

THE CAVALIER OUT DOOR SHOW SCENE.

Can the Cavalier Show Scene be classed as a Hobby, when many Cavalier Puppies are sold for around £800?

I would think it is more of a Commercial Business.

Bet

Granted,there are some top breeders who evidently seem to command top prices for pet puppies and who can also sell show potential stock and have bitches on breeding terms.But for every successful breeder at the top,there's dozens in the middle who might break even, and even more again who operate at a loss,just to pursue their hobby.
I know a few people this year who have scanned their bitch,paid a stud fee,ended up with a singleton instead of a litter and one of those was a c section.
When it comes to health testing,a breeder can pay for as many as 6 or more scans in a year if they have two or more bitches and a stud dog or two.
A lot of my facebook friends write about the price of petrol,entry fees,overnight accommodation,vet bills,worming,it all adds up.
Sins

For most I would say showing Cavaliers is a hobby, and a very expensive one at that.

An entry fee at a Championship show in the UK is around £25 + parking often an extra £5 + Catalogue £5 + petrol :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: round trip of even just 100 miles must be £30

So for a day out with one dog = £65. Do that once a month, and a lot of people do it more often, with a couple or three dogs in tow, and it mounts up.

Anyway this is getting off the subject of dogs at outdoor shows, which I think was comprehesively covered by you Bet last year!

There is nothing that I can see that is wrong with making sure your dog is comofrtable in a cage. The people that show their dogs aren't likely to let them overheat. The very vast majoritiy of these people love their dogs very much and spend a lot of time and effort caring for them.

If you take your argument to its conclusion, then Bet you would be against Cavaliers going out if the sun is shining.

I have only gone to a few shows and have to say I have my girl on my lap but the other dogs I've seen including ones from Cassies breeder have looked very relaxed when spending times in their cages...believe me Bet I wouldn't be backwards coming forwards if I thought a dog was unhappy or stressed...
In their own space with their own blankets away from the hustle most seenm to snooze an hour away quite happily!!

For most I would say showing Cavaliers is a hobby, and a very expensive one at that.

An entry fee at a Championship show in the UK is around £25 + parking often an extra £5 + Catalogue £5 + petrol :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: round trip of even just 100 miles must be £30

So for a day out with one dog = £65. Do that once a month, and a lot of people do it more often, with a couple or three dogs in tow, and it mounts up.

Anyway this is getting off the subject of dogs at outdoor shows, which I think was comprehesively covered by you Bet last year!

There is nothing that I can see that is wrong with making sure your dog is comofrtable in a cage. The people that show their dogs aren't likely to let them overheat. The very vast majoritiy of these people love their dogs very much and spend a lot of time and effort caring for them.

If you take your argument to its conclusion, then Bet you would be against Cavaliers going out if the sun is shining.

THE CAVALIER OUT DOOR SHOW SCENE.

Just to answer Davecav's Post,no-body is forcing those Breeders he has mentioned to chase Titles .

The other comment I would make ,is that our Cherished Cavaliers were taken for a Walk first thing in th Morning when it was Cool ,then at night when it was Cooler, through the Day when they had to go go for their Toilets it was a case of out and in.

Our House was kept cool by Fans, how is that possible when Cavaliers are covered with a Blanket shut in a Cage and as you have mentioned travelling about 100 miles in a Car.

Because it is now know that about 90% of Cavaliers have CM, which is Chacterised by Brains being Too Big and Skulls Too Small, what Proof do you or any-body else have that this Disease is not causing Distress to Cavaliers being shut in a Cage and being surounded with a Blanket at Out Door Cavalier Shows.

Bet

The only time my cavalier ever became distressed in a crate was while in the vet's waiting room for her 15 month vaccination.She barked,howled,clawed at the door and there was no doubt whatsoever that she wanted out.
I expect she'd do the same at a show if she was upset at being in a crate....

I suppose I better not tell you about the introduction of baby puppy classes for 4 - 6 month olds....Just looking through the show schedule there's quite a few scheduled for the summer months:rolleyes:.
I wonder if Ivy might fancy a few days out !

Sins

Most people are driving to shows in the early hours of the morning and driving home in the evening - not in the heat of midday.

Cars have air conditioning. And sun shades.

Blankets work to create warmth if they are in contact with the skin. If there is space for air to move underneath them, they simply create darkness and keep out the sun. Houses in hot countries have small windows and thick walls and are kept dark - and cool. Our western mania for huge windows (and going out in strong sunlight) is ecologically and practically stupid.

With the numbers of Cavaliers being shown, relatively few exhibitors are seriously 'chasing CCs' - they know they have little or no chance of winning them. The majority show because they are proud of their dogs (especially if they have bred them), enjoy the atmosphere of shows and make them a large part of their social life. And yes, a stud dog that wins well is likely to be used more - but very few become champions.

The Cavaliers far more likely to be damaged by poor treatment in hot weather are the overweight pets who get dragged round town in the middle of the day, to open air events and along seaside promenades, and are left in hot cars and not given water regularly. We've all seen them puffing and panting behind their chatting and oblivious owners.

All Cavaliers (all dogs, in fact) need to be watched in hot weather, especially if they have heart problems, but it is ups and downs in air pressure that can make CM/SM sufferers particularly uncomfortable, not hot sunshine as such - a drop in air pressure in wet weather can be just as bad.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

With respect Bet. I too show my dogs in the heat of summer. The two disabled ones are in a buggy, shaded from the heat, with a towel or space blanket underneath them to keep them cool. The others have battery operated fans to cool and circulate the air passing through their cages, often also covered with the shiny side of a space blanket to deflect the sun. I also take a cool blanket and often a cool coat for them to wear when not in the ring too.

Meanwhile this uncaring owner elects to spend the money she has spent a lifetime earning on show fees and travel and all the other bits and pieces that accompany the world of her beloved Cavaliers because she enjoys showing her dogs, together with the atmosphere and social life.

My dogs, and those of everyone I know, spend their day in cosseted comfort. Why else do you think they spend their comparatively brief time in the ring wagging their tails as fast as they can go?

Bet, so far as I know you haven't shown a dog for years. I don't blame you for being out of date with all that has come onto the market in the past few years, but I do believe that you should think again before condeming others while remaining oblivious of the comforts used but unseen under the blankets.

Last edited:
I don’t show my dogs but we compete in Rally Obedience and Agility.
Easter weekend was very hot and we competed at a local Agility Show and all of my three had a great day. The car was parked under big trees and in between runs we took them back to the car with all the doors open for the breeze to go through. We put them into their cage where they happily snoozed while we were sitting there having our lunch. Same when we go to Rally obedience competitions. As it is so far we have to set off at 6 o’clock in the morning and don’t get back until 9 o clock at night. In summer we normally camp. They always go back to their cage for a sleep and we have a fan for them and also cool coats. I must say my dogs have the best life going everywhere with us and they always enjoy themselves.

With respect Bet. I too show my dogs in the heat of summer. The two disabled ones are in a buggy, shaded from the heat, with a towel or space blanket underneath them to keep them cool. The others have battery operated fans to cool and circulate the air passing through their cages, often also covered with the shiny side of a space blanket to deflect the sun. I also take a cool blanket and often a cool coat for them to wear when not in the ring too.

Meanwhile this uncaring owner elects to spend the money she has spent a lifetime earning on show fees and travel and all the other bits and pieces that accompany the world of her beloved Cavaliers because she enjoys showing her dogs, together with the atmosphere and social life.

My dogs, and those of everyone I know, spend their day in cosseted comfort. Why else do you think they spend their comparatively brief time in the ring wagging their tails as fast as they can go?

Bet, so far as I know you haven't shown a dog for years. I don't blame you for being out of date with all that has come onto the market in the past few years, but I do believe that you should think again before condeming others while remaining oblivious of the comforts used but unseen under the blankets.

THE CAVALIER OUT DOOR SHOW SCENE

Yes it's been many years since were Showed our Cavaliers at Cavalier Out Door Shows.

The Photo I saw on Monday ,it looks as if nothing has changed ,Cavaliers confined in Cages and covered with Rugs.

The Big Difference from when we went to Cavalier Out Door Shows ,is the Depressing Information that now around 90% of Cavaliers have CM, which is Chacterised with Brains Too Big and Skulls Too Small .

Also when we went to Cavalier Out Door Shows ,the figure of 50% of Cavaliers having a Heart Murmur at 5-6 years of age ,and has been Reported at the 2009 UK CKCS CLUB's AGM that this is no better than it was 18 years ago,and MVD Researchers have mentioned that that there are now Many Cavalier Cavaliers with the MVD Genes was not discussed.

I am not talking about the what has come onto the Market now, but what a Sick Breed the Cavaliers have now become, and how having them in Cages covered with Blankets at Out Door Cavalier Shows could be causing them further Problems.

If there are about 90% of Cavaliers with CM ,how many have been MRI Scanned that are being taken just about every week to Cavalier Out Door Shows.

Bet

Bet as you state often there are issues within the breed as there are with many pedigree dogs and yes something needs to be done...as for your other point please see there are many many owners, some who show and some who don't who only want the best for their dogs...I think the people like a girl I heard of through facebook who has two untested Cavs and has bred two litters from the pair on two consecutive seasons are the ones your energy needs to be pointed at and the "big ugly stick" beaten else where for a while...xx

Bet as you state often there are issues within the breed as there are with many pedigree dogs and yes something needs to be done...as for your other point please see there are many many owners, some who show and some who don't who only want the best for their dogs...I think the people like a girl I heard of through facebook who has two untested Cavs and has bred two litters from the pair on two consecutive seasons are the ones your energy needs to be pointed at and the "big ugly stick" beaten else where for a while...xx

BUT Two Blacks don't make White.

Bet

The constant negative and critical posts really irk me....I don't normally respond (in fact, don't normally even read them) but this one caught my eye and I couldn't help myself.

I have to agree with Cathy. I'll start off by saying I'm not a breeder nor do I show my Cavaliers, but I get really fed up with your very negative posts on this site. You've just labeled everyone who dares to show their Cavalier outdoors, with the same dirty, smelly brush.

Why do you assume that a Cavalier that is crated is in distress? You ask what proof there is that these dogs are not in distress. Well I ask you what proof do you have that they are in distress? Honestly, regardless of CM, if a dog is distressed, their owners or some other dog lover would surely notice. Why if the dog was distressed would it come happily out it's cage with it's tail wagging ready to go into the ring?

Reading your other post regarding traveling long distances in a car, what a weak statement. Everyone who owns a dog, and a car will have traveled with them at some point during hot weather. Are you saying that we shouldn't take our Cav's out when it's hot and sunny? My two love traveling in the car, regardless of the weather, they are always eager to get in to see where we are going this time. We are taking ours on holiday this year for the first time, during the height of summer too. Perhaps you are suggesting I'm cruel to do so! We have 3 hours to travel, we have AC, we open the windows, we of course carry water and we will make regular breaks en-route.

I have two fun loving Cavaliers, who love life, and are never happier then when they are out and about. They aren't little balls of fluff to be mollycoddled, and kept inside during good weather. We will continue to go to country shows, pet shows and other events with them.

Yes it's been many years since were Showed our Cavaliers at Cavalier Out Door Shows.

The Photo I saw on Monday ,it looks as if nothing has changed ,Cavaliers confined in Cages and covered with Rugs.

The Big Difference from when we went to Cavalier Out Door Shows ,is the Depressing Information that now around 90% of Cavaliers have CM, which is Chacterised with Brains Too Big and Skulls Too Small .

Also when we went to Cavalier Out Door Shows ,the figure of 50% of Cavaliers having a Heart Murmur at 5-6 years of age ,and has been Reported at the 2009 UK CKCS CLUB's AGM that this is no better than it was 18 years ago,and MVD Researchers have mentioned that that there are now Many Cavalier Cavaliers with the MVD Genes was not discussed.

I am not talking about the what has come onto the Market now, but what a Sick Breed the Cavaliers have now become, and how having them in Cages covered with Blankets at Out Door Cavalier Shows could be causing them further Problems.

If there are about 90% of Cavaliers with CM ,how many have been MRI Scanned that are being taken just about every week to Cavalier Out Door Shows.

Bet

I agree that much more is known about Cavalier health than probably was in the days when you were showing dogs. Perhaps most rigs looked the same then to now, but what has now changed is what goes on underneath the covers.

Bet, I regularly show dogs in both the South West of England and in the Midlands. Out of all the people I meet and chat to during the year I can only think of two who decline to MRI scan their dogs, because of what they consider to be valid reasons. Who am I to judge. I only ask that everyone considers the available information and guidelines before deciding what they think is right for them and their dogs.

I have Rebel and Winston with slight murmours. Rebel also has SM, but the others have scanned clear. I no longer show either, not because of possible discomfort at the venue, but because of the stress of being show prepared and the travel involved. I show the other 3 dogs, 2 of whom are scanned clear of SM and free of mvd, Everyone else I know endorses my decision.

Would it not be better to use your valuable time and expertise Bet in campaigning against genuine animal cruelty or the ubiquitous puppy farmers who thrive because there are so few with your knowledge of animal welfare available to speak out against them?:)

I

Back