• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Where was your Cavalier Born?

Rebel was born in Barnstaple, Devon
Winston Alexander was born in Hull, Humberside
Bubbles was born in Barnstaple, Devon
Little Joe came from Pendock Village, Malvern
and Holly Poppet was from Okehampton, on beautiful Dartmoor in Devon

Oliver is from very near to Barnstaple. Umberleigh in fact don't suppose others from Devon or Barnstaple used the same breeder as me? :) Would be funny to know some of Oliver's relatives!! lol

@Sabby
Where in Leicestershire are you?
Oliver and I are from NW Leics a village called Whitwick. :)

M&O

There do seem to be quite a few dogs from Devon on here, Ollie came from Paignton, Devon, and Jasper from a small village near Teignmouth, Devon.

I used to work in Teignmouth years ago...in a different life...(last century)
I would hazard a fair guess that any dog bred in the west of England is related via the Homerbrent kennel.
Sins

Bubbles has lots of Homerbrent behind her from Paternal Grandfather backwards if you know what I mean. She also has a heavy Vanitonia presence.

Rebel has Homerbrent on his Maternal Great Grandparents' side, but a much bigger Tregarron/Chrisandawn/Manaking mix running throughout, with some Dubourg thrown in for good measure. His Gt, Gt, Gt grandfather was Tregarron Trafalgar, a dog who I watched ringside from a puppy and absolutely adored. I was thrilled one day when Betty Dowd asked me to take him into the BOB challenge and I can honestly say I have never handled a dog quite like him, until I got Rebel that is!

Holly Poppet was sired by Homerbrent Branscome crossed with Underknoll, with Homerbrent behind her too, but Vanitonia crops up there in several line breedings.

Getting back on track to what Sins originally said, I think the heavy Homerbrent influence in West Country dogs goes all the way back to the great Homeranne Caption, one of the most influential sires of all time. He was stunning and lived to a grand healthy old age.

Further to many Cavaliers coming from an area where there was a notable breeder (such as Homerbrents in Devon), when I had a holiday in the Scottish borders a few years ago, I noticed an unusual number of Blenheims, and wondered if this was the long-distance influence of the Pargeter kennels, which were in the area. People who long ago bought a Pargeter Cavalier may have continued to keep the breed, even if these days the Pargeter connection is distant.

Oliver is a Yorkshireman, Aled comes from somewhere in Wales via Many Tears. My first two Cavaliers were South African, with a strong UK background, and the third one came from Staffordshire.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Flash & his parents (Holly & Blitz) were born in Hot & Humid Texas! (USA).

Holly had parents from Ireland & the Slovak Republic. Her pedigree has several Biely demon dogs behind her as well as Moorefields & Glencross cavaliers. Some other names behind her include: Immenhof's Donovan, Immenhof's Movie Star, Bonema Gold Sovereign for Choya... and if you go far enough back (5 generations) she has a "Glenwood Dallas Texas". LOL I can't find much on "Glenwood Dallas Texas" but I wonder if he was from Dallas, Texas? Probably not, but I find it funny that Holly was born to a breeder not to far from Dallas, Tx.

Although Blitz was also born to a breeder in Texas (USA) his parents were both from Ireland. He has a few Homaranne and Trenaul cavaliers behind him.

Last edited:
Just watching PDE and it made me check Oliver's inbreeding coefficient and he has indeed got a lot of Homerbrent in him. Mainly on his maternal side, but a little on the paternal also.
The average Cavalier has an inbreeding coefficient of 5.2% and Oliver is 4.7% so not too bad I guess.
Has anyone else checked their dogs coefficient?

UK Kennel Club website tells you what your pedigree dog's COI is.
http://www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/services/public/mateselect/inbreed/Default.aspx

That's a good figure! :)

However take the average and the KC determiner with a large grain of salt. I don't even think most breeders would think that the average coefficiant is anything remotely that low for cavaliers. When calculated properly I know many breeders have truly struggled to find matings with dogs where the COi wouldn't have been in the region of 15-20+% for offspring. Many show dogs would be quite high. I am not sure how much info is actually going into the MateSelect programme so far -- will see if I can find out how reliable it would be considered to be at the moment.

Thanks Karlin
I am very interested.
I was shocked to see so many Homerbrents are in his family tree as I must say when I was picking up my beautiful puppy I only glanced at it, was quite relieved he still had a below average COI! Phew!

Lots of the same name isn't necessarily a bad thing -- lots of breeders would be selecting very carefully. However some of these older lines come from a time when people would have done very close matings at times. Often it is the dogs with different kennel names in their background that turn out to have a very high COI as many cavaliers turn out to be closely related.

My main question about MatSelect is how many cavaliers are actually in the database to provide an accurate COI. Some of the online pedigree databases for CKCS did COIs too and they generally (on average, for dogs I looked at anyway!) produced higher COIs than the KC stated average.

My George's COI comes out at 2.2%.

As you said Karlin, I do think this is a good number but I'm unsure as to whether or not it means a lot if not every dog is in the database.

my charlie was born in beverley,hull in UK...
i got him at 8weeks last of the litter :)

396969_10151074356845113_719430112_22308355_1468013467_n.jpg

Do you not think that the KC will have all dogs in the database enabling them to calculate the COI?
You have to register a pedigree dog?
Maybe they only use the 6 generations on his pedigree certificate which is flawed but they must know how every dog on the sheet is related if they were all registered?

Just watching PDE and it made me check Oliver's inbreeding coefficient and he has indeed got a lot of Homerbrent in him. Mainly on his maternal side, but a little on the paternal also.
The average Cavalier has an inbreeding coefficient of 5.2% and Oliver is 4.7% so not too bad I guess.
Has anyone else checked their dogs coefficient?

UK Kennel Club website tells you what your pedigree dog's COI is.
http://www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/services/public/mateselect/inbreed/Default.aspx

Ive just checked Leo's and he's 4.8% Like its been said not sure how "true" this is.

Back