• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Mixed Fruit-Any Suggestions Pls

Brian M

Hi

As always looking for a healthy low calorie alternative to add to the girls biscuits apart from the broccoli ,green beans and carrots which I feed daily as a filler and I also note MC has suggested rice cakes which I have fed as a treat in between meals .I called into Holland and Barrett before to have a look for mixed dried fruit but I couldn't see any plus I was unsure about raisins being OK and with a lot of dried fruit the sugar content increases so I left with just two packs of rice cakes .
So any guidance pls on what is OK and where to buy from .:confused:

Apple is ok to give - Sparky loves it!

I know there is a lot of natural sugar in a lot of fruits & also a lot of vit c in some which can upset the tummys!

My "kids" love strawberries, blueberries, melon, tangerine....I could go on, but truth be told, they love everything. As long as it is something to eat, they will eat it. I've seen blueberries listed as an ingredient on several high-end (read expensive) dog food.

My two love Bannana whether it be dried or fresh and apples. They have dried apricot occasionally when they are at my mums but I dont like it so dont buy it!!

Charlie likes Strawberries but Ruby doesnt and they both LOVE natural yogurt which they get a bit of every couple of days!
MMMM- ah to be a dog!!
I think they eat better than me...correction They DO eat better than me!

;)

I wouldn't be adding fruit to the diet when you have issues with weight Brian. Dried friuits are particularly high in calories.

Hi Pauline

Thanks I feared that might be an answer ,I was just looking for more variations of filler apart from veg and rice cakes which are even around 28 cal each .Does the higher calorific value apply only to dried fruits ,so is it OK then to use fresh and with apples should I peel them or not ,sorry am totally dumb on these matters.:confused:

I even stopped buying dried fruit for myself in H&B as the sugar content is too high.

Mine like Apple, but it doesn't agree with Pippin, they also love banana but only get a little piece when i have one.

I never though of ricecakes as a healthy low cal treat (compared to Bonio etc)...thanks for the idea!

Carrots are great - if you feed them raw, just washed - don't peel them. They spend ages chewing them, but don't actually digest them very well - you will find small orange pieces in the poo :eek:

Be careful with citrus fruits - too acidic. Also no grapes...

Most fruit is too high in sugars.

Hi Pauline

Thanks I feared that might be an answer ,I was just looking for more variations of filler apart from veg and rice cakes which are even around 28 cal each .Does the higher calorific value apply only to dried fruits ,so is it OK then to use fresh and with apples should I peel them or not ,sorry am totally dumb on these matters.:confused:

Raw apple is low in calories as a treat but for day to day stick to the veg.

I know it's debatable on whether this is a fruit or vegetable but mine love tomatoes. :)

Molly loves the little baby sweetcorn (she would eat a big one too:eek:), sweet ripe pear, apple, sweet parsnips. Sometimes I thinly slice sweet potato(like a crisp) roast them and both dogs love them not too many though.

Molly has most vegetables/fruit 3 x daily ground plus supplements. Molly is happy because she is very greedy and feels she is getting plenty of food. Molly was almost 12 kilos and is now 10.3 and stable.
On a day to day basis we buy Burns dried carrots and put those in a wooden puzzle which takes a while for both of them to eat. 3 neem sticks per day which are made from tree bark and seed we give these after face washing and use for rewarding.

I thought raisins and sultanas are made from grapes so I would avoid these.

Gosh, I somehow missed this thread a couple days ago!

LOVE the ideas! We treat our babies with baby carrots and broccoli, and they too love the plain rice cakes. Sometimes we put a tiny bit of peanut butter on a couple pieces, but that is a rare treat.

Mine also love eggs for breakfast occasionally. I'll cook up an egg as a treat and it's gobbled up very quickly.

Apples are probably their favorite treat, but they only get a couple bites once or twice a week or so.

My mother in law has always made homemade treats by baking oats and other ingredients and shaping them into biscuits, I've not done it myself but maybe I should start. Hmmmmm.......

Wheels are turning!

Great thread!

Dawn

Back