• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Anybody Else Feed Raw?

You bet! I feed raw (home prepared) and would never go back to anything else. One of the best things that happened and I feel pretty confident is a result of feeding raw, is the way our 11 year old Boxer boy now feels & looks. Eighteen months ago (when getting primarily kibble) Sam looked old & his arthritis caused him so much trouble that I wondered how he would cope in the coming winter. Well these days he bops around like a little puppy & it has been 12 months since I have had to give him a dose of carprofen... even during winter. He is honestly more active than he was 4 years ago.

YAY!! :jump:
Join our new raw feeding group! We need home prepared raw feeders to assist us! http://board.cavaliertalk.com/group.php?groupid=8

I just love how raw diets are linked to these great stories about restored vitality in our pets!

I go away for 1 day and there are 3 pages of Raw Cavs!! :D

Winston's breeder advocates feeding at least partially raw, but I wasn't comfortable with it at first. When Winston was about 6 months old we started feeding 1/2 raw, and a few months after that went all raw** with no turning back! Winston (1.5yr) and his GSD sis Kelsey (11.5 yrs) eat a prey-model raw diet, along with a salmon body oil supplement. They are happy, healthy, clean teeth...couldn't ask for more! Winston (16lbs) runs 3-4 miles with me a few times a week no problem, and Kelsey is looking better now than she has in years.

Heading over now to join the new Raw Cavs group!!!

**I travel a lot, and am not really comfortable with the boarders feeding raw, so they get grain-free kibble and canned when I'm out of town.

**I travel a lot, and am not really comfortable with the boarders feeding raw, so they get grain-free kibble and canned when I'm out of town.

Glad to have you in our group! Hurray for raw! I agree, when I travel I use grain free kibble/canned. I keep them used to it by using the kibble as treats.

I don't feed kibble with Primal. It's just the Primal. They also get a glob of pumpkin, an ice cube (defrosted) of pureed fruits and veggies, salmon oil and a probiotic. Shelby also gets Seacure for her knee and a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement.

For travel have you looked at Stella & Chewy's freeze dried? I've not tried it but just talked to someone the other day who uses it.

For travel have you looked at Stella & Chewy's freeze dried? I've not tried it but just talked to someone the other day who uses it.

What timing! I was picking up kibble/cans to leave for them during my next trip when I noticed that the store sells a variety of Stella & Chewy's. It looks good and I would probably try it if it was just Winston, but with a 65lb dog to feed as well I don't think I can afford it!

I feed raw as well. Seems to keep my boy healthy and in good energy. I just make sure to carefully handle it and wash his food bowl after each meal :)

I don't feed kibble with Primal. It's just the Primal. They also get a glob of pumpkin, an ice cube (defrosted) of pureed fruits and veggies, salmon oil and a probiotic. Shelby also gets Seacure for her knee and a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement.

DOh! I read that as you feed deforsted ice cubes! Was thinking 'why didn't she just say water' - the re-read it!!!:)

I feed raw as well. Seems to keep my boy healthy and in good energy. I just make sure to carefully handle it and wash his food bowl after each meal :)

Cleanliness is one of the most important components of feeding raw. I use stainless steel bowls and wash after with hot water and soap!

Ive joined the group - but defo need to look into it more before I go raw again.

As I said my Jack russell Cass allways was sick after eating chicken wings & had a manky coat so I'd be reluctant to put her fully over to raw again really but I'd like to give Sparky a go on it.

Any advice what I should start with as he's only ickle! (He does love a big marobone though!) Would be great if we had some of those pre-made frozen raw diets here in Ireland that you guys in the USA seem to have!

Ive joined the group - but defo need to look into it more before I go raw again.

As I said my Jack russell Cass allways was sick after eating chicken wings & had a manky coat so I'd be reluctant to put her fully over to raw again really but I'd like to give Sparky a go on it.

Any advice what I should start with as he's only ickle! (He does love a big marobone though!) Would be great if we had some of those pre-made frozen raw diets here in Ireland that you guys in the USA seem to have!

Perhaps chicken isn't his thing? Have you tried any beef organs? Lamb meat? Some dogs may have a sensitivity to poultry - and keep in mind that if you are just starting raw, your Cav may get a upset tummy after eating and it sounds like the coat you are describing was him detoxing and purging supressed immune deficiencies...

Hi,

Cass was only sick after eating chicken wings but was grand after eating everything else, I used to feed her (in rotation) liver, heart, kidney, mackral, chicken breast, turkey mince, beef mince, lamb mince, chicken & turkey drumsticks, sardines, lamb shank. I fed her & my other dog Leo (who died in march) raw for 8 months & then went back to naturediet as Cass was looking so bad, I'd heard about the detox etc so I had kept going but I figured after that amount of time it was going on a bit long.

Oh me me... I feed raw!

I get my raw meat from a company called Landywoods. I just package up a full section of my freezer with the packs of raw meet. If I had more room then i'd get a separate freezer, but no need at the moment.

I started on raw as soon as we got Holly at 14 weeks. This is mainly because I read A LOT on the subject and had the help and guidance of some of the members of my Dog School. Have never looked back since though.

On the odd occassion though I do give Holly some JWB kibble... but she often looks at me as if... "Mum... I think you've fogotten my meat!!".

We've just taken on Murphy as well and ive switched him to a raw diet too. He was on just plain Iams.

The best thing is, its great to see the dogs really really enjoying their food, and its good for them too! :D:rah:

Oh, meant to say, they get minced meat, chicken, tripe, liver, and they also get fish!

Hi,

Cass was only sick after eating chicken wings but was grand after eating everything else, I used to feed her (in rotation) liver, heart, kidney, mackral, chicken breast, turkey mince, beef mince, lamb mince, chicken & turkey drumsticks, sardines, lamb shank. I fed her & my other dog Leo (who died in march) raw for 8 months & then went back to naturediet as Cass was looking so bad, I'd heard about the detox etc so I had kept going but I figured after that amount of time it was going on a bit long.

As long as Cass is healthy now! I am a huge advocate for raw - but am a middle of the road sort of gal - its not right for everyone and not right for every dog! The most important thing is a healthy pet I think!!

How is Cass now? What are you feeding?

I'd say I'm like you too, I think raw is great but it's like everything, what suits one wont allways suit the other.

Cass was fine aprox a week after finishing with raw - although like I said she does get a nice raw bone every couple of weeks & Sparly has now had 2 bones!

Both her & Sparky (20 wks cav) are fed Naturediet ( http://www.naturediet.net/products/index.html?cat_branch=premium/ ) a holistic wet food from England & mixer biscuit, but I don't like feeding mixer - the naturediet says it's a complete food but I can't see how it can clean teeth - & about a month after putting cass back on naturediet (as i didn't give her bones for a while) her teeth were quite stained again - wheras when she was on raw I took her for her annual booster, the vet was looking down her notes & asked me where I had gotten her dental done as her teeth were spotless & there was no record of a dental on her notes!

Do you use suppliments or give recreational bones or anything?

I give some probiotic yoghurt sometimes, and also some veggies. The veggies are usually from what we have for dinner. I just make a bit extra!

Theyve not had bones, not because i dont want to give them, but because I dont have a garden. I wouldnt trust them to keep them on the towel.

They get pigs ears! :)

My old dog Leo used to take his chicken wings into his bed to eat! (& I had to wash his bed every time!!)

Back