• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

When will I get a good nights sleep again??

Chelsea slept in her crate in my room till she was spay. Came home with an E-collar too big to fit in the crate, put her on the bed and no problems since unless she is sick(tummy probs). She never cried or made a fuss in her crate and would sleep for hours.

Vivian was a crate girl for only about 3-4 months. Same thing, crate next to bed, but would get me up at least once a night or cry. At about 4-5 months, just gave up one night, put her on the bed and no problems except once (on the bed). Play with her trying to tire out and make her go out to potty just before bed, now in morning, she will use the dog door if she needs to go out before I have her go.

I think they are individual just like others have posted.

I am glad to see so many different opinions here. As a parent and owner of furkids, I can say that there is no right or wrong answer. Each one is different. I don't believe in letting them cry it out in another room.

For the dogs, I usually purchase a snuggle puppy and take it to the breeder to get the Mom's scent on it. This gives the new pup something familiar. If this isn't an option, then I sleep with it for a few nights so it has my scent on it.

Our dogs are crated at night, but the new puppy is close to me so I can reassure him/her. Once you get them on a good schedule, you will be able to tell when they are milking the system for attention rather than having to go out. I usually just say, no, no, good night. I listen and can tell when they settle.

Whichever way you pick try to stay consistent. If it is working, keep going. If not, you may have to try a few things.

Oh, did I mention we have a 6 month old puppy, so I just recently had all those sleepless nights!

Well last night was a great success and Jessie went to sleep with no problem at all. She slept all night with not a sound. I think that I now have the solution and she seems perfectly happy with the new arrangement. As I said in my earlier post, I will try to move her after we have settled in the new home next month.
Thank you all for your opinions, it really is a case of all pups a different, and try to work it out.

Bet you both feel a lot better this morning!! ;) What works for one may not work for another.....but there are plenty of options to keep trying til you find the one that works. Glad you found the one tha works for you and hope you continue to get a good night's sleep.

oh, i am glad that it works. was pretty sure that it would, though....:):)

nothing like a good night's sleep, for you and the puppy.
this is probably not 'only' the solution of the sleeping-problem, but possibly also contributes to a trusting and close relationship between you and jessie.

I'm so glad you got a good night's sleep last night. When Ollie was a pup, he always whined and carried on when he would go in the crate too. I kept it right by my bed and it had a zipper top, so I would dangle my hand in there. Once he grew big enough and realized he could crawl out the top, he just slept in the bed with us from then on. Now, at 2 years old, he's started sleeping in his crate again at night on his own. Now we're down to just one dog in the bed and it's kinda nice (although I love it in the morning when they all climb into bed with me)! :rolleyes:

Hi renate

Totally with you .Lily is in her own cratw right by my bed ,and the other three all have their own crate but sleep side by side downstairs and all are happy:) ,me as well :)

Back