• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Hali

Halina

I did not realize there were two Cavalier Forums, only took me 2 months to finally realize that. I was reading this one at work and on another at home.:rolleyes:
We purchased our first Cavie the end of October, a very special gift from my husband. I previously have had labs and had a chocolate cocker spaniel that I had to let go in August. I saw my first cavie at a pet store, played with the little guy almost daily when visiting. You could tell he was not well, thin and balding fur, a true example of a puppy mill puppy. This led to a 2 month obsession to find the perfect breed of dog, one that would not bite dogs/people, whose activity level was adjustable and easy to care for. I learned all of the above plus the health risks of this breed, talked to professional breeders and to a local home breeders in PA, Michigan and OH.

The result is a beautiful pet quality ruby cavalier named "Halina" which means in Polish, "to comfort", something she surely does.
She is pure love, listens better than any puppy I have owned, loves to cuddle which is good because on days when I'm not feeling well we pile the toys on my lap where she plays and we cuddle. Housebreaking has been easy, she walks on a lead beautifully, comes when called and can sit on command. We are working on the sit/wait which is coming along.
I believe like a child, we take the medical risks as they come, never quite knowing what is around the next corner but responsibly working through it. I am proud to say I am a cavie owner and relish the opportunity to talk with others about our dogs.

Just to clarify: What is the difference between a professional breeder and a local or private breeder.

I believe the professional breeders are those who sell show dogs etc. These dogs are the cream of the crop. They are those who want to better the breed & are concerned about the welfare of upcoming generations.
I believe backyard breeders sell pets. They can be someone who has a cavalier and wants to breed the dog to share with others their joy with the breed. I also believe backyard breeders can also be responsible breeders wanting to breed only if their dog is healthy.

I believe the professional breeders are those who sell show dogs etc. These dogs are the cream of the crop. They are those who want to better the breed & are concerned about the welfare of upcoming generations.
I believe backyard breeders sell pets. They can be someone who has a cavalier and wants to breed the dog to share with others their joy with the breed. I also believe backyard breeders can also be responsible breeders wanting to breed only if their dog is healthy.

I am glad I asked. To me, a professional breeder is one that breeds for a living. One that mass produces dogs for a living. It is WHAT they do for a living.

Most of the show breeders actually have careers or jobs. They are breeding cavaliers to make a better, healthier dog. Not all dogs make the grade and the people looking for a pet get a companion from a sire and dam that should be health tested. The income is not limited to the sale of the pets, so they can get heart, eye, patella and hip certs -- all tests that can lead to healthier pets.

I am glad I asked. To me, a professional breeder is one that breeds for a living. One that mass produces dogs for a living. It is WHAT they do for a living.

Most of the show breeders actually have careers or jobs. They are breeding cavaliers to make a better, healthier dog. Not all dogs make the grade and the people looking for a pet get a companion from a sire and dam that should be health tested. The income is not limited to the sale of the pets, so they can get heart, eye, patella and hip certs -- all tests that can lead to healthier pets.
Here in Ohio, the puppy millers belong to 'professional' breeders associations. I have never heard reputable cavalier show breeders refer to themselves as professional breeders, and I attend many AKC dog shows.

Back