• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Newly Elected UK CKCS CLUB COMMITTEE MEMBERS.

Bet

I have started this as a New Thread, so I hope it is OK.

I have mentioned in a Previous Post , Norma Inglis' recent Chatterbox at the beginning of the week ,where she put so much emphasis on what being a Good Committee Member Meant.

What was so Conspicious by it's Absence was that Norma Inglis made absolutely no mention that being a Good Committee Member would include the Health of the Cavalier Breed.

I wonder if she has no interest in the Aspect of being a Good Committee Member surely would be the Health of our Cavalier Breed,that that should be Paramount to being a Good Committee Member.

This for me is an Eye Opener,

In the Recent List of Accredited Cavalier Breeders that I have just Printed off, there are no Newly Elected UK CKCS CLUB Committee Members on it.

I would have thought that the Newly Elected CKCS Club Committee Members would be at least be Leading by being an Example by being an Accredited Breeder.

Or do they take Norma Ingls' Views are of what Being a Good Committee Member Means when she has ignored the Mention of the Health Problems in our Cavalier Breed.

I know the Cavalier Club has given a lot of Money for helping into the the Research of the Two most Serious Health Problems Afflicting the Cavalier Breed , SM and MVD ,but it is also the Cavalier Breeders who MUST play their Part in trying to Over-Come those Problems.

There are some Cavalier Breeders who are doing all they can by Health Testing their Cavalier Breeding Stock,but until the UK CKCS CLUB makes it Mandatory for all Cavalier Breeders to Health Test their Breeding Stock, then I really do think that the CKCS CLUB is just wasting it's time.

What good is it doing?

Bet

In the Recent List of Accredited Cavalier Breeders that I have just Printed off, there are no Newly Elected UK CKCS CLUB Committee Members on it.

I would have thought that the Newly Elected CKCS Club Committee Members would be at least be Leading by being an Example by being an Accredited Breeder.

I agree that it is extraordinary that at this time of deep concern for the breed, and given the Club's past emphasis on its contributions towards breed health, that health now seems to warrant no mention as a top concern for the agenda of any intelligent, informed, thoughtful 'good committee member'... icon_nwunsure

On the other hand, given the prominence of this issue in the mind of the truly health-focused breeders out there, other health-focused club members who care about the future survival of the breed (and not some members' greater concern about show trophies and their puppy-selling businesses), pet owners, the general British public, two national UK committees of enquiry into the breed health of pedigree dogs, and national legislators (with several Conservative MPs now in government having pledged to work towards regulation in dog breeding if clubs refuse to focus on health) you'd think the CKCS Club's new committee and the columnist would not ignore this elephant in the room...? On a website associated with the club?

Many out there however intend to make sure these issues remain very much in the public and legislative conscience.

UK residents may wish to write (again) to their MPs on these issues as well as the Kennel Club to draw notice to the lack of any mention of health as a priority in that particular piece of writing, even though the columnist is the spouse of a committee member, which is all a bit worrying. Carol Fowler's www.cavaliercampaign.com website has lots of info on health issues and ideas on how to campaign at local and national level.

If anyone would like the specific section of the column to send in to relevant places, PM me and I will email it to you. Or you can find and copy it here.

I would think that 'supporting the majority' is exactly NOT what the breed or committee needs right now? Or what any thinking member of the club would ever wish to emphasise after that past national furore over the attitudes of the UK CKCS Club? The breed may be dead and gone if the status quo attitudes toward health (which, note, does not even deserve a mention as an issue here) pertains for another 5 years. What an own goal, this column is!

And how shameful and bizarre that in the 21st century any thoughtful person would make an offensive reference that a 'good committee member' apparently must have 'physical and mental' ability to 'fulfil tasks' -- whatever that means -- when in the item just above they pay respect to a member who passed away from motor neuron disease. :sl*p: How inconsiderate and thoughtless. :( And given that I understand there are formal complaints in to both the club and national UK bodies over this sentiment having also been expressed in the columnist's husband's candidate's statement sent before the committee election to all club members? Is this really what anyone thinks anymore? It is actually a violation of UK disability legislation to imply someone with a disability cannot 'fulfill their duty;' and to *a dog club*, for goodness sakes. Who in the past has been physically or mentally unable to fulfill their duty? :rolleyes: What in the world is such a statement doing in a candidate's statement, a column, or on a national club-associated website? (maybe some will wish to draw attention to this to the appropriate bodies if they find this offensive...). Meanwhile the same club places back on its list of judges a woman convicted of animal cruelty to cavaliers for in effect, puppy farming -- in one of the largest UK trials on such an issue. :x I guess puppy farming and cruelty is OK, but having a physical disability is looked down upon?

Interesting too, this emphasis below -- a good committee member apparently:

Can think in terms of the broad welfare of the Club rather than his or her own interests

Good grief. I think few of us ever expected to see such a thing stated so baldly, given all the scrutiny this and all the breed clubs have been under for being accused of taking *exactly* such a view of their own self-importance as clubs, rather than caretakers of dog breeds. This sums up everything that is wrong with the way clubs and breeders think and simply MUST by highlighted to the Kennel Club and UK legislators! Surely the main goal of a committee -- a NATIONAL BREED CLUB COMMIITTEE of a breed with two major health crises -- is to act for the broad welfare OF THE BREED, not themselves and their committee :sl*p:. But useful to know that this statement, instead, is deemed the agenda of the Club. Ensuring its happy clubbiness, in other words. One hopes no other committee member actually shares these self-serving sentiments.

This whole summary of what a good committee member is, is in effect a telling statement by a prominent breeder and show world member of why all breeders need to conform to the status quo, never take on an unpopular cause, never highlight issues of concern, and in effect, never act as an advocate for the dogs rather than the show and club system.

In short, in the columnist's view, a good committee member focuses only on the club and committee -- and there's not a single mention of the BREED or its general welfare.

Hi

Rather than write to our local MP Mr Frank Field (who is a Labour man but is certainly his own person ) holds a fortnightly surgery on a Friday evening just 200 yards from where I work so my plan is to go and see him face to face within the next month and present him with as much information as I can,so any help or guidance from members for my presentation to Mr Field will be gratefully received. :)

Newly elected uk ckcs club committee members

If anyone would like the specific section of the column to send in to relevant places, PM me and I will email it to you. Or you can find and copy it here.

I would think that 'supporting the majority' is exactly NOT what the breed or committee needs right now? Or what any thinking member of the club would ever wish to emphasise after that past national furore over the attitudes of the UK CKCS Club? The breed may be dead and gone if the status quo attitudes toward health (which, note, does not even deserve a mention as an issue here) pertains for another 5 years. What an own goal, this column is!

And how shameful and bizarre that in the 21st century any thoughtful person would make an offensive reference that a 'good committee member' apparently must have 'physical and mental' ability to 'fulfil tasks' -- whatever that means -- when in the item just above they pay respect to a member who passed away from motor neuron disease. :sl*p: How inconsiderate and thoughtless. :( And given that I understand there are formal complaints in to both the club and national UK bodies over this sentiment having also been expressed in the columnist's husband's candidate's statement sent before the committee election to all club members? Is this really what anyone thinks anymore? It is actually a violation of UK disability legislation to imply someone with a disability cannot 'fulfill their duty;' and to *a dog club*, for goodness sakes. Who in the past has been physically or mentally unable to fulfill their duty? :rolleyes: What in the world is such a statement doing in a candidate's statement, a column, or on a national club-associated website? (maybe some will wish to draw attention to this to the appropriate bodies if they find this offensive...). Meanwhile the same club places back on its list of judges a woman convicted of animal cruelty to cavaliers for in effect, puppy farming -- in one of the largest UK trials on such an issue. :x I guess puppy farming and cruelty is OK, but having a physical disability is looked down upon?

Interesting too, this emphasis below -- a good committee member apparently:

Good grief. I think few of us ever expected to see such a thing stated so baldly, given all the scrutiny this and all the breed clubs have been under for being accused of taking *exactly* such a view of their own self-importance as clubs, rather than caretakers of dog breeds. This sums up everything that is wrong with the way clubs and breeders think and simply MUST by highlighted to the Kennel Club and UK legislators! Surely the main goal of a committee -- a NATIONAL BREED CLUB COMMIITTEE of a breed with two major health crises -- is to act for the broad welfare OF THE BREED, not themselves and their committee :sl*p:. But useful to know that this statement, instead, is deemed the agenda of the Club. Ensuring its happy clubbiness, in other words. One hopes no other committee member actually shares these self-serving sentiments.

This whole summary of what a good committee member is, is in effect a telling statement by a prominent breeder and show world member of why all breeders need to conform to the status quo, never take on an unpopular cause, never highlight issues of concern, and in effect, never act as an advocate for the dogs rather than the show and club system.

In short, in the columnist's view, a good committee member focuses only on the club and committee -- and there's not a single mention of the BREED or its general welfare.

NEWLY ELECTED UK CKCS CLUB COMMITTEE MEMBERS

Because I feel so strongly about Norma Inglis' ARTICLE : WHAT MAKES A GOOD COMMITTEE MEMBER:

I have now contacted Mr Lambert who is involved with Kennel Club's Accredited Breeders Scheme,also the the Independant Advisory Council ,just to make them aware of we Cavalier Pet Owners are having to Battle Against.

Bet

so any help or guidance from members for my presentation to Mr Field will be gratefully received. :)

Brian, there is one committee member newly elected who refuses to scan, refuses to believe that there is a SM problem in the breed when we all know that no lines will have escaped this disease and another committee member who has similar views to those expressed above. With these two on the committee my feelings are, well unprintable.
Perhaps stating these facts to your MP might be of use.

Nanette

Brian you might PM Carol F. but I believe she is on holiday during this week.

Her www.cavaliercampaign.com website has some information you can print off. Also you might look back for some of the past coverage of the CKCS Club in national newspapers and in K9 Magazine and Dogs Today.

Please pass on the details in my latest blog

As you know I was going to stand for this committee but withdrew because of manipulation of the election process.

I was not able to get to the AGM, so I am still trying to get a clear picture of what happened but I should be able to post more details over the weekend.

It would appear that members of the Cavalier Club have chosen to elect committee members that are openly complaining that too much money is being spent on health research.
Note that this money is raised specifically for health. It does not come from the general budget that pays for the big expensive Championship shows.

It is fortunate that concerned pet owners are willing to support schemes like Rupert's Fund, because it looks as if the remaining health conscious breeders on the Cavalier Club committee may find it difficult to get any health initiatives agreed.

My proposal that committee members agree to breed according to the Club's own guidelines was thrown out, and you can see why when a look through the latest two or three Breed Record Supplements will show there are committee members that are consistently breeding from underage dogs.
In one case a puppy of 9 months was mated to a 14 month bitch, & this in a breed where the code of ethics contain breeding guidelines that specify that cavaliers should be at least 2.5 years when mated.

If our breed is to have a future then it will be the ordinary pet loving public that will bring that about by putting pressure on breeders and governing bodies to consider the welfare of dogs.

With that in mind I have just put my Puppy Buyers Advice up as a blog. Please pass it on to any one you know that may be thinking of buying a cavalier puppy.

As you know I was going to stand for this committee but withdrew because of manipulation of the election process.

I was not able to get to the AGM, so I am still trying to get a clear picture of what happened but I should be able to post more details over the weekend.

It would appear that members of the Cavalier Club have chosen to elect committee members that are openly complaining that too much money is being spent on health research.
Note that this money is raised specifically for health. It does not come from the general budget that pays for the big expensive Championship shows.

It is fortunate that concerned pet owners are willing to support schemes like Rupert's Fund, because it looks as if the remaining health conscious breeders on the Cavalier Club committee may find it difficult to get any health initiatives agreed.

My proposal that committee members agree to breed according to the Club's own guidelines was thrown out, and you can see why when a look through the latest two or three Breed Record Supplements will show there are committee members that are consistently breeding from underage dogs.
In one case a puppy of 9 months was mated to a 14 month bitch, & this in a breed where the code of ethics contain breeding guidelines that specify that cavaliers should be at least 2.5 years when mated.

If our breed is to have a future then it will be the ordinary pet loving public that will bring that about by putting pressure on breeders and governing bodies to consider the welfare of dogs.

With that in mind I have just put my Puppy Buyers Advice up as a blog. Please pass it on to any one you know that may be thinking of buying a cavalier puppy.

NEWLY ELECTED UK CKCS COMMITTEE MEMBERS.

Could I mention that what we True Lovers of our Cavalier Breed have now discovered in the Last Few Days about the Attitude of some Cavalier Breeders concerning the Health Problems in our Cherished Breed,is maybe for the Good.

We now know where we are in the Battle about the Health Problems Afflicting Cavaliers. !!!

It is going to be down to the Cavalier Breeders who Carry out Health Tests on their Breeding Stock, and as Margaret has said in her Blog, Prospective Buyers of Cavaliers who will only buy Cavaliers from Cavalier Breeders who do those Health Checks.

I was Disgusted to read in Margaret's Post ,that there seem to be Elected Committee Members who are openly Complaining that TOO MUCH MONEY is Being Spent on Health Research.

How do those Folk think the Health Research can move forward ,unless by being given Funds.

By the way ,is it not Many Cavalier Breeders who have have caused the Health Problems for the Cavalier Breed.

We all know about the Saying , this is the Way the Cookie Crumbles ,well it sure applies after Margaret's Proposal at the AGM ,when she Proposed that COMMITTEE MEMBERS agree to Breed According to the CKCS CLUB's own Breeding Guidelines was thrown out .

I do hope the Press will have a Field Day when they get to hear about what is now taking place about concerns about the Health of Cavaliers.

Bet

Newly ELECTED UK CKCS CLUB COMMITTEE MEMBERS

Because I feel so strongly about Norma Inglis' ARTICLE : WHAT MAKES A GOOD COMMITTEE MEMBER:

I have now contacted Mr Lambert who is involved with Kennel Club's Accredited Breeders Scheme,also the the Independant Advisory Council ,just to make them aware of we Cavalier Pet Owners are having to Battle Against.

Bet

Could I add further to this Thread.

At least Two of those Newly Elected UK CKCS CLUB COMMITTEE MEMBERS ,have made no Mention in the Recently Published UK CKCS CLUB YEAR BOOK ,2009, in their Advertisements about Health Testing their Cavalier Breeding Stock.

I wonder why they don't do this.

Do they or don't they Health Test their Cavalier Breeding Stock?

I would think that now because they are Members of the UK CKCS CLUB COMMITTEE the Members of the UK CKCS CLUB have a right to now about this.

I know that some Cavalier Breeders say that when they carry out Health Tests on their Cavalier Breeding Stock ,it's for their information only, and has nothing to do with any -body else.

All I can reply to this Statement ,that it is nothing of the kind ,those days have Long Gone ,this is the 21st Century we are now living in.

Are some Cavalier Breeders ,who were recently mentioned in a Report in a Journal of Hereditary Diseases ,believe that by High-Lighting the Cavalier Health Issues ,may reduce Cavalier Puppy Sales and/or compromise their Breeding Program and thus endanger their Livelihood.

Or do some Cavalier Breeders ,live their Lives Through their Cavaliers' Wins in the Show Scene??

Finally ,if I could return to my Bee in my Bonnet about the Small size of Head many of to-days' Cavaliers now have from a number of years ago.

We had to take SUZY back to our Vets' again yesterday, she now has a Tummy Bug.

I,was sitting next to a lady who had a B/T .

I had to ask if the wee Dog was a King Charles Spaniel ,or a Cavalier!!

Remember we have had Cavaliers since 1973, I could'nt tell the difference.

I explained to her about how much Smaller the Cavalier Heads were to-day than about 25 years ago ,she said that her Mother had had 8 Cavaliers as pets ,and what I was saying was right.

That when her Mother had Cavaliers ,they had a different Sized Head when her Mother first had them.

Finally,Finally, I now really do wonder, if it is time for those Cavalier Breeders who have no interest in Health Testing their Cavalier Breeding Stock and are trying to Thwart those Cavalier Breeders who are trying to give the the Cavalier Breed a Future,let them rule the UK CKCS BREED CLUB,but those other Cavalier Breeders have a CKCS CLUB ,where Prospective Cavalier Buyers can contact knowing that they are dealing with a Responsible Cavalier Breeder who has the interest of their Cavalier Breeding Stock who can have the chance of Producing Cavaliers who have Healthy ,Long Lives.

Bet

Snippets from the AGM

As I have said I was not able to get to the AGM but this is what I have heard so far..........

One good piece of news. At long last it was agreed that the SM guidelines should be added to the Club code of ethics.
The bad news was that the proposal that the committee members should set an example and agree to breed to the health guidelines while they are in office was thrown out. Another exercise in paying lip service to a protocol that top breeders will not use.

The proposal that would have barred me from rejoining the Committee was apparently withdrawn on KC instructions. It was against human rights legislation.

The author of the lying statement that implied I had divulged committee information had received a Solicitor's letter and so read out a completely different reason for proposing the rule.

There were other proposals that were either amended or withdrawn on the instructions of the Kennel Club.

There is an interesting situation in that when I withdrew from the election contest the Cavalier Club chose to put a notice from Electoral Reform Services, the organisaation running the election, on their website which informed the Club that the rules did not make it clear that I could withdraw.
They advised that the votes sent in for me should still be counted and I should be required to resign if I secured a place.

I have good reason to believe the votes cast for me, despite my withdrawal, were enough to give me one of the committee vacancies, but I have not been able to verify that yet as it seems the Cavalier Club Secretary has not now got the voting information?

I have not been asked to resign, so presumably I could claim one of the committee places?

Could I add further to this Thread.

At least Two of those Newly Elected UK CKCS CLUB COMMITTEE MEMBERS ,have made no Mention in the Recently Published UK CKCS CLUB YEAR BOOK ,2009, in their Advertisements about Health Testing their Cavalier Breeding Stock.

I wonder why they don't do this.

Do they or don't they Health Test their Cavalier Breeding Stock?

I would think that now because they are Members of the UK CKCS CLUB COMMITTEE the Members of the UK CKCS CLUB have a right to now about this.

I know that some Cavalier Breeders say that when they carry out Health Tests on their Cavalier Breeding Stock ,it's for their information only, and has nothing to do with any -body else.

All I can reply to this Statement ,that it is nothing of the kind ,those days have Long Gone ,this is the 21st Century we are now living in.

Are some Cavalier Breeders ,who were recently mentioned in a Report in a Journal of Hereditary Diseases ,believe that by High-Lighting the Cavalier Health Issues ,may reduce Cavalier Puppy Sales and/or compromise their Breeding Program and thus endanger their Livelihood.

Or do some Cavalier Breeders ,live their Lives Through their Cavaliers' Wins in the Show Scene??

Finally ,if I could return to my Bee in my Bonnet about the Small size of Head many of to-days' Cavaliers now have from a number of years ago.

We had to take SUZY back to our Vets' again yesterday, she now has a Tummy Bug.

I,was sitting next to a lady who had a B/T .

I had to ask if the wee Dog was a King Charles Spaniel ,or a Cavalier!!

Remember we have had Cavaliers since 1973, I could'nt tell the difference.

I explained to her about how much Smaller the Cavalier Heads were to-day than about 25 years ago ,she said that her Mother had had 8 Cavaliers as pets ,and what I was saying was right.

That when her Mother had Cavaliers ,they had a different Sized Head when her Mother first had them.

Finally,Finally, I now really do wonder, if it is time for those Cavalier Breeders who have no interest in Health Testing their Cavalier Breeding Stock and are trying to Thwart those Cavalier Breeders who are trying to give the the Cavalier Breed a Future,let them rule the UK CKCS BREED CLUB,but those other Cavalier Breeders have a CKCS CLUB ,where Prospective Cavalier Buyers can contact knowing that they are dealing with a Responsible Cavalier Breeder who has the interest of their Cavalier Breeding Stock who can have the chance of Producing Cavaliers who have Healthy ,Long Lives.

Bet

Could I just mention , that for the Editor of CHATTERBOX ,who wrote last week's disgracefull Article about what Makes a Good Committee Member,I am sure there will be many Cavalier Owners shocked by what was written, especially when the Public are now so aware about the the SM and MVD Problems Afflicting our Cavalier Breed ,and she made no mention about A Good Committee Member should have this as their NO 1 Priority.

Also as I mentioned in a previous Post ,None of the Newly Elected UK CKCS CLUB COMMITTEE MEMBERS are

Accredited Breeders, which surely is a Matter that should be given concern to the UK CKCS CLUB, since the Kennel Club is giving so much Publicity to their Accredited Breeders Scheme.

Bet

Hello

Just to satisfy my curiosity would it be possible to advise the K C Kennel names of the newly elected members of The UK CKCS Club committee . I would have presumed that the new committee members would have set an example to all and led from the front by being members of this new world order of The Kennel Club Accredited Breeder Scheme .

It seems they have pressed the self destruction button once more and are attracting
lots of attention to themselves by their comments in the chatterbox section of a prominent Cavalier website and not forgetting the obvious lack of mention regarding breed welfare and health by this person .

Last edited:

Hello

Just to satisfy my curiosity would it be possible to advise the K C Kennel names of the newly elected members of The UK CKCS Club committee . I would have presumed that the new committee members would have set an example to all and led from the front by being members of this new world order of The Kennel Club Accredited Breeder Scheme .

It seems they have pressed the self destruction button once more and are attracting
lots of attention to themselves by their comments in the chatterbox section on the clubs website and not forgetting the obvious lack of mention regarding breed welfare and health by this person .

NEWLY ELECTED UK CKCS CLUB COMMITTEE MEMBERS.

Yes Brian,

Since the List was put on a CAVALIER FORUM on the Internet for every-body to see ,there should be no problem in passing the names onto the Kennel Club.

Also an Interesting Mention about the Health of our Cavalier Breed which the Editor of Chatterbox did not consider worth mentioning in her Thoughtless Article about what makes a Good Committee Member.

This Article will Long be Remembered by us Cavalier Owners who have shed many tears watching our Cherished Cavaliers Suffer and Die from SM and MVD.

How-ever back to the Post from I would think would be from one of the Oldest Living Members of the CKCS CLUB,she says before Breeding a Cavalier , the Sire and Dam should be Checked by a Board-Certified Cardiologist this is to make sure neither have a Heart Murmur ,since MVD is VERY Prevalant in the Cavalier Breed.

Also Both the Sire and Dam should be MRI Scanned to see what their Status is in Regard to SM because of the Effect this Disease has had on the Cavalier Breed and Breeding Guidelines should be being followed .

Thank Goodness there are some in the Cavalier World who are concerned about the Health of Cavaliers, even although Norma Ingls, a Cavalier Breeder ,who wrote about what makes a Good Committee Member, does no seem to think that being a Good Committee Member Warrents concerns about the Health Problems in our Beloved Cavaliers.

Bet

Brian wrote:
lots of attention to themselves by their comments in the chatterbox section on the clubs website and not forgetting the obvious lack of mention regarding breed welfare and health by this person .

Unfortunately, Chatterbox is nothing to do with the Cavalier Club. It is not on the Club's website but on a private website run by Steve Mynott, and the writer is not on the Club committee (though her husband has just been elected onto it), so the Club has no direct infuence over what is written. Unless it is illegal or libellous, she has every right to say what she wants - as we do on this website. Her views on committee members are simply her own ideas - though I do think she should sometimes make this clearer; as a leading breeder/exhibitor some people may think she speaks on behalf of the Club.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Newly Elected UK CKCS CLUB COMMITTEE MEMBERS

Brian wrote:

Unfortunately, Chatterbox is nothing to do with the Cavalier Club. It is not on the Club's website but on a private website run by Steve Mynott, and the writer is not on the Club committee (though her husband has just been elected onto it), so the Club has no direct infuence over what is written. Unless it is illegal or libellous, she has every right to say what she wants - as we do on this website. Her views on committee members are simply her own ideas - though I do think she should sometimes make this clearer; as a leading breeder/exhibitor some people may think she speaks on behalf of the Club.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

NEWLY ELECTED UK CKCS CLUB COMMITTEE MEMBERS.

Kate,

My biggest concern is that none of the Newly Elected CKCS CLUB COMMITTEE MEMBERS are Accredited Breeders.

I have contacted Mr B.Lambert about this ,he is involved with the Kennel Club's Accedited Breeders Scheme,and has also attended CKCS Regional CLUBS' recent AGM's ,I think even a UK CKCS CLUB'S AGM ,explaining the Priority the KC is giving to their Accredited Breeders Scheme .

I really would think that to be a UK CKCS CLUB Committee Member , they should be Leading by the Example by being an Accredited Breeder.

Bet

Unfortunately for anything the Club may wish to dissociate itself from (and given the publicly voiced comments from many on the new committee, I doubt that would be their desire), the website portrays itself as closely connected to the club and the main source of breed information for the UK.

Opinions are always one's own -- but given the source, and the close connection of columnist to many committee members, the echo of the phrasing of of the election documents of an actual committee member, and the publication of the column in the past as THE breed column in one of the main show magazines, it definitely reflects and will be seen to reflect a perspective that, as Margaret has confirmed, seems to place health issues at the periphery of what a club committee is supposed to be about.

It is an incredibly crass statement, insensitive to many individuals and issues, and certainly will do the new committee no favours if it is actually trying to be seen as an actively pro-health, pro-breed committee. And as an example of a hopelessly clueless breeder and club perspective, it is a retrograde piece of writing that should be passed along to relevant decision-makers as an example of why outside regulation is the only hope for pedigree dogs. It will, for example certainly not persuade Prof Bateson or many MPs or KC officials that the club is moving forward from its past crises around health and its own (mal)functioning that were so ridiculous at times that it was repeatedly highlighted in the UK national mainstream press. :rolleyes:

I know many, many people will be watching this committee at this very critical point for the breed, and hoping it will be responsible and actively pro-health,and act on the breed's behalf even if it requires taking brave stances on health issues that many breeders have demonstrated they wish would simply go away. There is certainly heightened scrutiny now on any committee, especially of this particular breed club.

Unfortunately for anything the Club may wish to dissociate itself from (and given the publicly voiced comments from many on the new committee, I doubt that would be their desire), the website portrays itself as closely connected to the club and the main source of breed information for the UK.

Opinions are always one's own -- but given the source, and the close connection of columnist to many committee members, the echo of the phrasing of of the election documents of an actual committee member, and the publication of the column in the past as THE breed column in one of the main show magazines, it definitely reflects and will be seen to reflect a perspective that, as Margaret has confirmed, seems to place health issues at the periphery of what a club committee is supposed to be about.

It is an incredibly crass statement, insensitive to many individuals and issues, and certainly will do the new committee no favours if it is actually trying to be seen as an actively pro-health, pro-breed committee. And as an example of a hopelessly clueless breeder and club perspective, it is a retrograde piece of writing that should be passed along to relevant decision-makers as an example of why outside regulation is the only hope for pedigree dogs. It will, for example certainly not persuade Prof Bateson or many MPs or KC officials that the club is moving forward from its past crises around health and its own (mal)functioning that were so ridiculous at times that it was repeatedly highlighted in the UK national mainstream press. :rolleyes:

I know many, many people will be watching this committee at this very critical point for the breed, and hoping it will be responsible and actively pro-health,and act on the breed's behalf even if it requires taking brave stances on health issues that many breeders have demonstrated they wish would simply go away. There is certainly heightened scrutiny now on any committee, especially of this particular breed club.

Karlin ,

Thanks for your Post,I could'nt agree more with what you have Posted.

I have just read on the CC LIST which is closely associated with Norma Inglis' Chatterbox,from the Administrator, that the subject of the Recent UK CKCS CLUB AGM is now Closed.

Is this a case of ,If you can't Stand the Heat Get out of the Kitchen.

I don't think I have been out of order when I contacted Mr Bill Lambert, who is involved with the Kennel Club's Accredited Breeders Scheme, informing him about Newly Elected UK CKCS CLUB COMMITTEE MEMBERS not being Accredited Breeders.

Also sending the Newly Formed Independant Advisory Council a Copy what makes a Good Committee Member, mentioning in Particular that the Worries about the Cavaliers' Health Problems ,SM and MVD were Conspicious by their Absence, this from a Top Cavalier Breeder.

I mentioned that is what we Cavalier Owners are up against when trying to get notice taken by some Cavalier Breeders about the Health Problems in our Cavaliers.

It will be interesting to see what stand will be being taken by the UK CKCS CLUB and their Committee, with regards to the Cavalier Breed's Health Problems.

I have just received my DOGS TODAY Magazine, and read the comments about Margaret,both she and Carol were for sure, TWO BRAVE Ladies.

When you realize what Margaret is now involved in concerning the Health Problems of the Cavalier Breed ,has the UK CKCS CLUB really any use except to orginize Cavalier Shows.

Thank - Goodness for Karlin, Margaret and Carol,to my way of thinking the Future of the Cavalier Breed now depends on them, not the UK CKCS CLUB.

Bet

Would just like to add that if anyone intends making an appointment to see their MP (please do) I'm more than happy to help.

You can email me at [email protected] or phone 01453 843944

I have written to all 647 newly elected MPs asking them for their support in the reform of dog breeding, and inserting the recommendations which are on my website.

Each MP will receive a personally addressed and signed letter through the post.

I could not have done this without the help of Tania Ledger who provided me with stationery, photocopying and postage. Thank you so much, Tania.

So, if you go to visit your MP he/she will already have received a letter from me and should have some awareness of the issue. A visit from one of their constituents in person will make sure that they cannot ignore, and you will be helping hugely.

I haven't heard officially which of the Cavalier Club AGM proposals have been accepted or rejected but what's leaking out doesn't look good. The Clubs look after people not dogs and the breed is not safe in their hands.

Carol

Many breeders are still saying that the Accredited Breeder Scheme is just a PR exercise by the Kennel Club - and that many of those on the scheme are just puppy farmers...

Currently the results of health tests required by the scheme do not have to be taken into account when breeding a litter :eek: - which is a ridiculous situation - and I think many breeders will not take the scheme seriously until this is changed.

At present, the only health test required by the scheme for Cavaliers is eye testing for MRD - although that is due to change later this year when the Heart testing {MVD} and SM schemes also become live.

The current understanding is that the MRI scans carried out to date at Chestergates are not going to be acceptable for the new BVA/KC SM scheme - which is going to be a huge issue for many breeders. I have heard that some have already resigned from the Accredited Breeder Scheme for this reason - they are not prepared to rescan a dog who has already been scanned {especially if it is in the last year or two}, not wishing to put the dog under a GA - also obviously there are financial implications.

I'm not making excuses for breeders, but I do feel people should be aware of the situation that many find themselves facing...

It is good news that the SM guidelines have finally been added to the club's code of ethics - but so sad that the committee are not prepared to lead by example :(.

Back