• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Crying and have nobody to talk to about my beautiful Abbey

I have no advice I just wish I could send my arms through the computer and hug you! Good luck with your surgery and I hope your recovery is quick. Abbey is a lucky girl to have you as a mom.

Thank you Sun--I got the hug.

Hi Byflo--I'm sorry you are going through a rough spot too. These guys are so beautiful and so undeserving of all these health issues. Its just awful. Yes I appreciate every day with mine. They can get on my nerves at times--especially with 4 but that 99% far outweights the awful. Abbey is such a princess--thats her nickname and I've been on Cavalier Talk for about 2 1/2 years but went back to work full time and do hubby's books so not alot of free time but after surgery I'll be on. I'm going to work from home when I'm able so will still be working.

Ahhh Bev I know you are right---I've never had a surgery like this upcoming one. My other ones were minor--in and out in a couple hrs and a couple loritab and that was pretty much the awfulness of it. This is going to be a whole different ballgame as you know since you are in the medical field. I'm going to learn what real pain is I believe and I'm sure deep down there is a scared girl down there. I'm going to make an appt. with the person that Pat from Atl saw as I respect her and I wouldn't have a clue to where else take her. Before I checked out the private ones in Atl and wasn't too thrilled and know nothing of who is at Auburn now.

Thanks everybody.

I am familiar with abbey and her story. When i suspected sm in my girl a year ago abbey was one of the first i found as a reference.her videos, and i remember reading a blog about abbey. I think its fair to say that She has certainly brought me to mri my dog. So i just wanted to wish u good lucky with the surgery and big hugs for brave little abbey. I feel for you. Lynn

Hi Brian. Its been awhile. Not enough hours in a day now. Remember how I used to comment on your photos. I have taken a couple photography classes and spent way too much on photography equipment.

Thanks Goda.

Where in Seattle are ya? I'm in Georgia--been here for 13 years but first 46 years I was in Seattle area. Grew up in Bellevue then to Kirkland and last place before coming here was Woodinville. My son is in Mill Creek.

I am in Greenwood, a few blocks from Greenlake :)

Sending you hugs Linda :hug:I am sorry you are going through such a difficult time right now. I hope that your surgery goes well and when you are feeling better you can concentrate on Abbey :flwr:

I'm sorry Blondie yet I'm happy to help that Abbey's video helped you. I did that blog to help others and I know it has. Thanks for letting me know and hugs to you and your baby.

Thanks Susan. I'm feeling more positive today and you all knocked me back into place and I appreciate that so much.

Linda just wanted to send you and Abbey tons of hugs. SM and CM are such horrible conditions. I often find myself in tears from my own dealings with Jack and/or from reading others experiences.
Good luck with your surgery and everyone is here for you.

Hi Linda,

I wanted to say sorry that you have been havivng these feelings about Abbey and although we aren't at the point of saying goodbye anytime soon I read an article today in a dog magazine about dealing with the loss of a Pet and bereavement and I thought alot about it today.

There comes a time in the life of living with an SM dog that you have to say goodbye to the old dog and come to terms with having a Special Needs/Handicaped/Terminally Ill dog. This probably happens more than once as well, I know that I have struggled to come to terms with saying goodbye to the dog that Ruby once was and this ties in with other stuff that has happened alongside her deterioration and hopefully I am allowed to share this Quote from the 'Dogs Today' July Episode.........

"People often say that Unconditional Love is the most important part of an Animal-Human relationship, for some it is companionship,for others itis a shared bond with another for the love they share with the animal. The animal then becomes a mutual target for affection and shared memories.
When a situation at home changes, through Death, break down in relationships, trauma or change in circumstances the people remaining with the animal can start to see the animal very differently. The Pets status is the elevated beyond all others and all the emotion and love that was poured in to the previous situation or person is now pushed on to the Pet that is still there.

Those that live outside of a situation can look on and wonder at the extreme grief that follows the loss of a Pet and not understand what has happened to that person but they can't understand the context of the relationship that was between the human and animal.

An outsider cannot understand the grief felt when a pet passes away unless they understand the role the Pet played in a persons life, until they try to understand they cannot help that person through their grief"

This article really hit home with me and made me realise just how much emotion I have put on Ruby and how much of my life revolves around her and her illness. I'm only 27 and can't go out after work with friends as I have to get home to make sure she gets her meds. And the days that I dont work I wont go out as I want to make sure I don't miss a minute of the time we have left together and would feel guilty leaving her. But I wouldnt have it any other way!

This level of grief that we feel for our dogs affected with SM (and MVD also) just cant be understood by someone unfamilier with the illness- this is the reason I think we value this formum so much, because others know exactly how we are feeling.

Linda, the feelings you had for Abbey are just grief, grief for the dog that she once was but it is also the start of a new chapter which doesn't mean shes any less worthy of a comfortable life. She isn't able to do the things she once could however she is still a contented little girl. Many dogs through out the world dont have the luxury of a mum and dad who love them, no matter what and give them every ounce of themselves in return for companionship.

I may have rabbled on a bit much but all im trying to say is that, just because she isn't the Abbey she once was, she is still your little Princess Abbey and will live her life in the way that she can- with a lot of help and encouragement from her family and especially her mum!!!

Good luck with your Op, and we hope you feel better very very soon xxxx

Abbey's limp weakness

Dear Linderbelle
I am so sorry to hear about Abbey and what you are going through, Abbey seems happy enough on the video, maybe you could send Clare Rusbridge the video, she may be able to give you some idea in what maybe the cause. My sm dog have been through so much recently then one day , he could not walk , without yelping in pain , and the next day after an injection of painkiller, he got up himself and walk to the garden and back and he is fine every since . Clare told me there is a focal pain in his lumbosacral area and being 13 kg (as he is been on prednisolone) will put more pressure on the back, also cavaliers are prone to disc problem in that area. We are booked for an MRI on 21 July, we are also weaning him off prednisolone.
Dont give up yet, she may be fine .

Daffymum

Linda,
Im just catching up on this now and wanted you to know Leo and I are sending hugs your way. Good luck with your own surgery and remember to look after yourself too:flwr:

I don't have more to add that anyone hasn't already, and I am not even sure I have the right words...but just thinking of you and sending you all the healing energies and love that I can. :hug:

There comes a time in the life of living with an SM dog that you have to say goodbye to the old dog and come to terms with having a Special Needs/Handicaped/Terminally Ill dog. This probably happens more than once as well, I know that I have struggled to come to terms with saying goodbye to the dog that Ruby once was

Karen, You are so right.

We all have our presumptive future, our vision of how our life will be.

When things change unexpectedly it is hard to accept what we have been left with and let go of the way we thought it would be.

Good luck Linda, we are all thinking of you.

hanging in there

Just a quick note. I had knee replacement surgery on the 28th and thought it would be a breeze and I've had a very hard time. Thank god for loritab and percocet. Abbey is doing better. Her shoes or mittens lets call them seem to be doing the trick or we can already tell she's losing weight. In fact right before my surgery we took her in for teeth cleaning and I believe she had lost a half pound already.

Thanks all.

Hi Linda. I'm glad to read that your operation is over but sorry that it was so tough at the start. Hopefully you will be back on your feet in no time and pain free again.
It's great that Abbey is doing well and managing to loose some weight. wouldn't it be brilliant if the weight came off us as quickly as it does for dogs:)

It is good to hear from you. We have been thinking of you.

You have my sympathy, knee replacement is a very painful operation.

I'm so pleased Abbey is coping better.:)

Back