• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Our dog is in agony and we believe its SM....please help!

I was thinking about you and Shiloh for most of yesterday. I am so glad that you have seen a better vet and this one definitely sounds as though she knows exactly what she is doing.

Gabapentin and Tramadol are only two of the cocktail of medications which can help to ease Shiloh's pain. As has already been said, there is a variety of combinations to choose from. Think positive and take each day as it comes. Rebel's symptoms were sudden and distressing for both of us, but trial and error coupled with a large helping of patience and flexibility has taken time but worked wonders.

Sending hugs to you both.

Thanks so much for all of the support. Shiloh played today and yesterday with our other dog! Even though her play times haven't lasted long, I believe she feels better with the gabapentin! We have been giving her the full 3 doses, and she really doesn't seem to have side effects too bad.

I have a question for anyone who has used this medicine for their dog:) From what we can tell, about 30 minutes after her dose, she is more social, more active, more playful then she has been in months! She still has symptoms, but she doesn't scream and cry. Then it almost seems like she feels worse again after playing and being so lively. About 1-2 hours before her next dose is due, she gets a little bit miserable again. She cries and runs under the bed and patiently waits for mommy to give her "the good stuff" again! :)

All of these things are such a positive improvement! Does all the increased activity cause the nerve pain to be worse again?? I know it will be trial and error for a bit until we figure out what works. Just wondering if anyone thinks maybe we should try and avoid too much fun?

Thanks again so much! And my name is Andrea:)

So glad that Shiloh is having periods of being a normal playful Cavalier. Tramadol might help for when the effect of the Gabapentin is waning. Ask your vet because every case is different.

Hi Andrea

It's great that Shiloh is so much better.(y) What dose of gabapentin is she on at the moment? The average length of time that gabapentin takes to metabolise in the body (ie work through the system) is 8.5 hours - that is, three pills a day. But this is an average, which means that some dogs will manage on two pills a day while others will need four, given roughly 6 hours apart. My two started on 3x but seem to do better on 4x a day; so I give them first thing in the morning, lunchtime and supper, then last thing at night. So if Shiloh is flagging 1-2 hours before her next dose, this indicates that she needs a shorter time between her doses, rather than that playing is tiring her. If she is on Clare Rusbridge's minimum starting dose of 100mg x 2 a day, talk to your vet about putting her up to 100mg x 3 a day, which is what most CM/SM dogs start on. If she is already on 3x, discuss putting her up to 4x. It's a very individual thing, not one size fits all. It is important with gabapentin to keep it in the body all the time, not let it lapse and then give another one.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

I'm so glad the meds are helping your little Shiloh and that she's playing again! I hope it has eased your anxiety, too.

I am SOOOOO pleased you have been able to do so much in such a short time and that things are looking much improved. This is fantastic news!! So glad you have been such a proactive owner and Shiloh has a good advocate.

Keep asking all you want here -- those of us with SM dogs have been there with much of what you are going through now, and will be happy to help.

Hi:)
Kate, she is currently on 100 mg 3x a day. Today Shiloh is having a rough time. She's under the bed crying:( On our walk she screamed 3 different times. Twice while a neighbor gently petted her and once while she tried to go to the bathroom. I'm going to call the vet and see if we can up the dose to 4x a day, or add in the tramadol. I'm sure we will have good and bad days. Today is definitely a bad one:( Poor thing.

She is staying at my dads house this weekend while we go out of town...he said he's willing to babysit and keep her company. Wish I could snap my fingers and take away her pain!

Many of us have dogs that cannot be touched by people -- sounds like it might be a good idea to ask people not to pet her as her meds are clearly leaving her too sensitive still. Be sure to discuss this level ot sensitivity with your vet as she def needs more meds, especially as she is hiding in dark places still and cannot tolerate walks. I'd probably eliminate walks for now as sounds as if the collar or harness is really painful at times for her.

PS the shop a www.Cavaliermatters.org has tags for SM dogs that ask people who might find the dog not to touch their head or neck.

Here:
http://cavalier-gift-shop.org/sm-cavalier-medical-alert-tag/prod_296.html

Hi Karlin,
I wish we could eliminate the walks:( We live in a loft apartment and don't have a yard, so the only way she can have potty breaks is to take her outside on a leash. We do use a harness instead of a collar, but if I were to take her out off leash, I'm pretty sure she would bolt. We live off of a busy street so she definitely needs to be on a leash. Wish there was a way to make it more comfortable for her. I will definitely talk to the vet about it. Tonight we gave her a dose of tramadol on top of her gabapentin. She just had a really rough time today. Karlin, do you think we should be concerned that she's still hiding and crying?

Hi Karlin,
I wish we could eliminate the walks:( We live in a loft apartment and don't have a yard, so the only way she can have potty breaks is to take her outside on a leash. We do use a harness instead of a collar, but if I were to take her out off leash, I'm pretty sure she would bolt. We live off of a busy street so she definitely needs to be on a leash. Wish there was a way to make it more comfortable for her. I will definitely talk to the vet about it. Tonight we gave her a dose of tramadol on top of her gabapentin. She just had a really rough time today. Karlin, do you think we should be concerned that she's still hiding and crying?

I'm sorry to say this but a dog that is still hiding and crying should be a matter of great concern. The medication she is having is just not giving her a good enough quality of life.

I'm really really hate to say it but I agree with Margaret. Crying and hiding are not simply her habits, there are a sign she's not feeling well. This must be awful for her and you, I cannot give you my opinion of how I would process or timelines because #1 I have never been in your shoes #2 only you in your heart knows what is best for her and you.

I only wish to provide some loving support from another cavalier owner who fully understands how special these dogs are. You have done and are doing a wonderful job advocating for Shiloh. Believe me there are plenty of dogs suffering with her level of pain that receive no medical care e.i. puppy mills

Back