• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Harley home but a bit of a shock

Sabby

Hi All
Sorry I didn’t get back to you all yesterday. I didn’t pick up Harley until 17.30pm. I was so tiered and I didn’t want to leave him and sit at the computer. You all know how it is watching over their every step.
Well I was a bit shocked when the Vet rang me. He said Harley had a lot of debris in his ears when I ask what he meant by debris he said dead skin, old ear wax and stuff that weren’t recognisable. He said that Harleys right ear has a slight perforated ear drum but it wasn’t inflamed. I ask what coursed the perforated eardrum and he said that the debris could have done that. After I came of the phone with the vet the first thing I thought is that the vet might perforated the ear drum by mistake. The thing is I can’t prove it and I just going to get wound up thinking about it. But it keeps niggling at the back of my mind and it only makes me angry. The problem is I had to have it done as something was stuck down there. You never know what to do for the best. Harley suffers from ear infections in that ear so maybe that last one in May never cleared up propper and done some damage, guess I never know. He syringed the ears with saline and Harley is now on Rimifin for 10 days. He gave us Metacam first but as I had bad experience with Ebony in form of bad diarrhea I ask for something else, but I been told that Rimifin can have the same affect. Great we are going away tomorrow with the dogs for a long weekend.
Otherwise Harley is 99% back to his old self, just trying to stop him scratching his ear is a bit of a job.

Hello Sabby

Well at least Harley is back under your care and as you say nothing can be proved either way regarding your vet so try and take your mind off it all and have a lovely weekend with all your family after the stress of the last few days.:)

Hello Sabby

Well at least Harley is back under your care and as you say nothing can be proved either way regarding your vet so try and take your mind off it all and have a lovely weekend with all your family after the stress of the last few days.:)

Thanks Brian
I know I have to take my mind of it.
We are actually going to a competition and we will be camping so pray for good weather.

Hi Sabby,

Glad Harley is home safe and sound with you. I hope the weather picks up for the weekend. Lots of hugs to you all :hug:

I wouldn't think the vet would have accidentally perforated the drum. If they have a lot of stuff compacted down in the ear (and often cleaning the outer part of the ear keeps compacting it further in) a perforation could easily have happened over time if there was a lot of stuff in there. You are very lucky the stuff is out because the wax and dirt can contaminate the middle ear (behind the perforated eardrum) and then cause serious middle ear infections. I just rehomed a dog which had a perforated drum behind a wall of wax and dirt that had indeed infected the middle ear probably many many months ago (a year or two), and caused what is probably now a permanent head tilt. :( Hopefully for Harley with everything cleared out, the drum can now heal. A perforation is actually not that uncommon and generally heals easily once kept clear and clean.

Sabby

Glad to hear his ear is now a lot lighter with all that gunge out of it. He must be feeling much more comfortable. :)

Hope you have a good weekend - are your competing with Harley? Weather forecast is for it to be a bit better - but better take your wellies just in case. :lol:

I wouldn't think the vet would have accidentally perforated the drum. If they have a lot of stuff compacted down in the ear (and often cleaning the outer part of the ear keeps compacting it further in) a perforation could easily have happened over time if there was a lot of stuff in there. You are very lucky the stuff is out because the wax and dirt can contaminate the middle ear (behind the perforated eardrum) and then cause serious middle ear infections. I just rehomed a dog which had a perforated drum behind a wall of wax and dirt that had indeed infected the middle ear probably many many months ago (a year or two), and caused what is probably now a permanent head tilt. :( Hopefully for Harley with everything cleared out, the drum can now heal. A perforation is actually not that uncommon and generally heals easily once kept clear and clean.

Thank you Karlin
It puts my mind at ease a bit. I was wondering if I done the right thing, but my Husband said that if there was something in his ear it had to be taken out.
Thanks

Back