• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Some advice from all the cooking geniuses out there

Sabby

I need some advice from all the cooking geniuses out there.
I have been looking for some natural food colouring that I can use on my dog treats for my cream cheese icing. I have come across 100 % Beetroot Powder and also 100 %Strawberry Powder. There is absolutely nothing else in that powder just Beetroot or Strawberry. My Question is beetroot save to eat for dogs. I know Strawberry would be ok; my dilemma is that the Strawberry is 3 times more expensive. I have never heard anything in regards of Beetroot or seen it on any list as unsafe for dogs. I would like to know other peoples opinion or knowledge of this.
This is what it is
100% Sweet Beetroot Powder

Beetroot is an excellent natural red colouring. It also adds that distinct beetroot sweetness to cooking. Contains no artificial ingredients or preservatives

My understanding was not to give too much beetroot but I suspect that the amounts you would use for an icing would be very small and therefore unlikely to cause problems.

I have never seen it on any lists of forbidden foods.

Just found this - beetroot chips for dogs!! {German site}

http://www.olewo.de/selectyourlanguage/english/fordogs/beetrootchips.html

beetroot is recognised as a beneficial food for the liver. It appears to assist dogs with liver problems due to copper toxicosis {a condition particularly affecting Bedlington Terriers}

So looks like it would be fine to use...

Last edited:
My understanding was not to give too much beetroot but I suspect that the amounts you would use for an icing would be very small and therefore unlikely to cause problems.

I have never seen it on any lists of forbidden foods.

Just found this - beetroot chips for dogs!! {German site}

http://www.olewo.de/selectyourlanguage/english/fordogs/beetrootchips.html

beetroot is recognised as a beneficial food for the liver. It appears to assist dogs with liver problems due to copper toxicosis {a condition particularly affecting Bedlington Terriers}

So looks like it would be fine to use...

Thanks Nicki

The amount I use would be very small.

Back