• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Thinking about another dog already...

chloe92us

This past weekend, I started thinking about adding another dog to our pack. We've been spending so much time outside with the beautiful weather, and Ollie is so active and really would love another active dog to romp around with.

I know, I have been saying 2 is the perfect # for me, but I'm actually considering a rescue cavalier OR another breed. Are there other, slightly larger, breeds out there that has a similar personality to a Cavalier???? Any insight would be appreciated.

Of course my first choice would be an active, young (not pup!) female blenheim Cav. But I know from experience they are hard to find. So I'm just exploring my options.

Hmmm ,the first dogbreed that comes to my mind if you want one that´s slighty bigger ,very friendly,somewhat similar (cavaliers are unique ,I know!) is the English Cocker Spaniel..:) A lovely breed:luv:

Several of the breeds of spaniels have similar temperaments (though not quite the happiness of Cavaliers!) - what about a Koekerhondjie? They are a medium size Dutch spaniel, same colour as a Blenheim Cavalier but bigger, and the ones I have met have been happy, friendly dogs (and not as lunatic as some spaniels!). If we've got them in the UK, I'm sure you'll have them in the US!

Though Golden Retrievers are a lot bigger, I always think they are very similar to Cavaliers in temperament and looks - I had a Goldie when I was a teenager and find it quite funny that when I needed to have a smaller dog as I got older, I went for a breed which is in some ways a scaled-down version of a Goldie.

All the best

Kate and Oliver the Ruby

I quite fancy a Golden Retriever. Soft hair, soft expression, good with kids. Any health problems? What I've always fancied was an Irish Wolfhound, apart from the corse coat, can you imagine, I'm only 5'2" and they can be 7 foot.

Just for all our American friends, I found the Koekerhondjie mentioned by Kate listed under Dutch Decoy Spaniel. It is amazing how much like a blenheim it looks! Good looking dog.

We had a lovely Golden (Zeus) who just died last month at 11/ 1/2. Until the last six months he was very healthy. He was diagnosed with kidney problems early this spring but prescription food brought his levels back to normal and made him feel much better. The best we can tell he died from a tumour that burst because he got sick and died quite suddenly. He was certainly an active boy in his youth. We actually got Mindy because I wanted another dog and didn't think I could handle two Golden's and had heard Cavalier's have a similar temperament. He needed far more grooming and exercise than Mindy does but he wouldn't hurt a fly. Mindy always got first dibs on the food dish (which probably explains why she is currently on a diet) and was able to take things right out from under his nose. She would steal something he had and he would lie there and whine and bark. It was rather comical.

We have a ruby cav and an Irish Setter - they are quite the matched pair!!

I love our Irish though - she is just as sweet as our cav (I know that is hard to believe!) and really smart too!

We have a 2 1/2 yr. old golden and a not quite 4 month old blenheim cavalier.
They are already great pals and very similar in temperament.

In U.S. I have come across several breeders raising the 2 breeds.

We chose the cavalier asa nice complement to our golden.

Heather R

I quite fancy a Golden Retriever. Soft hair, soft expression, good with kids. Any health problems? What I've always fancied was an Irish Wolfhound, apart from the corse coat, can you imagine, I'm only 5'2" and they can be 7 foot.

My cousins used have a gorgeous Irish Wolfhound called Clann. He was an absolute beauty, and had a fabulous temprement (although I don't know if this is typical of the breed). However he died at age 10 and apparently they can have a whole range of health problems.

I LOVE goldens, they are so sweet and also cuddly. I also love Bernese Mountain Dogs, but I'm not really sure about their temperment. I dog-sat for a family that had an older Cav and a Bernese puppy, and they got along well. What about a Newf? I think someone on this board has a Cav and a Newf...just a few ideas :)

Back