• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

my lola smells

lolas mum

I bath her regular but not too much and she smells lovely for a few days then starts to stink again!
Ive checked her ears and they seems clear and clean.

Is there a recommended shampoo i can use that will keep her smelling nice for more than a few days ?

Thanks alot

Most dogs will have a "doggie" odor that is quite natural. Our Sophie gets it a week after her bath. I rather like it. :grin:

you might want to try one of the grooming shampoo's/conditioners you can get from most pet shops. you just spray them on and brush them through - we've got a lavendar smelling one that we use every few days it smells lovely :)

Molly and Dougall are not impressed with Groomers De-tangling spray but I think it smells great!:p

I personally believe a lot of that has to do with their diet. Are you feeding her a really good food? If so, maybe try some baby wipes and some doggie perfume! :rolleyes:

I would have to agree with Trisha and suggest that diet has a lot to do with it.I find if Daisy gets something like Dentastix this awful odour seeps through her entire body.
Sins

if Daisy gets something like Dentastix this awful odour seeps through her entire body.
Sins

oh... i have started giving Reuben dentastix because he has bad breath and apart from cleaning his teeth which I do, I thought this would help! :S

I bath her regular but not too much and she smells lovely for a few days then starts to stink again!
Ive checked her ears and they seems clear and clean.

Is there a recommended shampoo i can use that will keep her smelling nice for more than a few days ?

Thanks alot

It could be teeth or infected folds at the side of the mouth.

I would also check to see whether she is getting her feathering very wet with urine when she squats......this can give a strong odour when it dries.

For this sort of doggy hygiene problem, male or female, a daily wipe down with a wet flannel dipped in a 'baby bath' solution ( no rinsing ) can help.
I keep a bottle ready made up, & baby wipes, handy in the kitchen.

For this sort of doggy hygiene problem, male or female, a daily wipe down with a wet flannel dipped in a 'baby bath' solution ( no rinsing ) can help.
I keep a bottle ready made up, & baby wipes, handy in the kitchen.

Thats a good idea Margaret.....Leo could sometimes benefit from this:grnyuk:

Mel

Really bad breath is usually a sign of tooth or gum disease and indicates a dog needs a dental. This is a very important health preventative measure as gum disease (the bacteria associated with it) is directly associated with heart problems and can lead to deterioration of heart health -- and in this breed that is something to prevent. :)

Different dogs might be affected in different ways from different foods. On dentastix -- I give them all the time with no affect on smell. :) I find salmon oil makes two of mine give off a fairly unpleasant fishy odour. Yet others have no issue with this.

I agree that the problem may well be urine on feathering. Simply wiping off the dog or rinsing legs in warm water does the job (too much shampooing strips valuable coat oils). urine smell can develop within days of a wash.

However as noted dogs are dogs -- they do have a dog smell. Some people love this smell (I do) and others may think of it as a bad smell. If the latter -- you are probably going to have a problem owning a long-coated breed! So it might be worth talking to your vet to be sure you are not noticing a scent associated with an actual health problem, then take steps to keep her clean if necessary without constant washing and shampooing, or consider whether a dog is a good choice? No criticism there at all, it is simply an issue some don't realise will be there especially if they have never owned a dog, and find they really are not happy because of it. The fact that this bothers you so quickly after a wash may mean recognising that there will need to be some rethinking of expectations, some compromise, etc. (y)

Back